Offseason - Around the NFL

WizardHawk

4 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Every single time the Jones' point to Dak (or anyone's) contracts as an example that the pie is smaller I straight up laugh. It's all fuzzy math at this point.

*Looks at LAR & KC among others*

They just need to say they're cheap and don't care about winning as much as they do putting out a "just good enough" product to keep the fair weather fans buying merchandise and tickets. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

What? Dak would have signed earlier for much less. Dallas FO kept waiting. 

10 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I honestly don’t fully remember the series of events that led us here. 

23 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Contracts keep scaling at rapid levels. You either are in on the early or you get burned late. 

4 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

NFL contracts are meaningless. 

Ever seen the Skip Bayless debates himself clip?

13 minutes ago, D82 said:

They just need to say they're cheap and don't care about winning as much as they do putting out a "just good enough" product to keep the fair weather fans buying merchandise and tickets. 

Honestly their strategy is so odd. It’s great they can draft well. But…everything else is just odd for the most valuable sports franchise. 

2 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Oy vey…How can you get burned late if contracts are meaningless? Those statements contradict each other, my friend.

Oh. That’s how you saw it. I’ll expand. 

I no longer care if a player is paid “the most at a position” as that will constantly change YOY. 

The earlier you sign someone the better the value it will be. Ultimately if you want to sign someone you can, regardless of what the cap says. Anyone who says otherwise (the Jones’) are willfully choosing not to and hoping fans don’t notice other teams can easily manipulate the cap. Salary Cap Hell isn’t something to fear in the modern NFL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Oh. That’s how you saw it. I’ll expand. 

I no longer care if a player is paid “the most at a position” as that will constantly change YOY. 

The earlier you sign someone the better the value it will be. Ultimately if you want to sign someone you can, regardless of what the cap says. Anyone who says otherwise (the Jones’) are willfully choosing not to and hoping fans don’t notice other teams can easily manipulate the cap. Salary Cap Hell isn’t something to fear in the modern NFL. 

^^^ 
This.

The cap is only going to continue to rise, and each year we see a player get a new contract that puts them either at the top of being the highest paid at their position or close to it (aside from maybe RB *looks at Jerry & Stephen*). 

14 hours ago, D82 said:

You hit the nail on the head.