Deebo Samuel

Manny/Patrick

6 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Every time it seemed like Montgomery was in position to make a significant impact, something weird would happen. I thought he was going to be really good. 

Anyway, here are some Cobb highlights....and not that I think Deebo is a one-year wonder, but he has one "wow!" year and 2 solid ones. I've seen many players that have been penciled in (often by myself) as "oh, this guy is a stud, can't wait to watch his career!" and then *poof* that was their high water mark. One of whom was Randall Cobb, who was on an amazing upward trajectory in yrs 2-3-4 and then fell off to basically being a decent player but nothing earth-shaking. 

Speaking of Kadarius Toney, I'm glad he's not on the 49ers. It would be scary having Kyle Shanahan scheme ways to get him the ball in space. Toney might be the only WR in the NFL as gifted as Deebo when the ball is in his hands.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playoffs/2022/1/19/22890579/deebo-samuel-san-francisco-49ers-skeleton-key

fantastic article by the great Benjamin Solak 

Samuel is smoke up until the moment he decides to be stone. Backfield tandems are often called thunder and lightning: Samuel is both packaged into one.

And as a ballcarrier, all of Samuel’s physical traits—his acceleration, his contact balance, his toughness—are delightful. But none of it would matter if Samuel didn’t have that inherent knack for space, timing, and angles. Samuel’s explosiveness is magnified by how well he manipulates tacklers who should have angles on stopping him. 

It is difficult to imagine how Samuel developed this myriad of instincts. It’s even more difficult to imagine another player doing it anytime soon. That’s the true inimitability of Samuel, a player who opposing front offices will no doubt attempt to replicate this season. It’s not that he’s so explosive (even though he is) or so physical (even though he is) or so smart (even though he is). It’s not even that he’s a blend of all of those things. It’s that he is superlative in all areas, and somehow able to string all of those elite skills into one amorphous, superstar play style. He’s a phase-shifter, a rule breaker. He’s effortlessly everything all at once.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

He was very good in the NFL - when he was healthy.  He had problems with migraine headaches.  If you don't think it's even close, I'd have to conclude that you didn't see Percy play in the NFL too much.  He was a great kick returner too.  He was an exceptional athlete who was fearless with the ball in his hands.

You’re obviously entitled to your own opinion. And I’m not saying Percy wasn’t explosive. I watched him at Florida, and no he wasn’t on my team but I kept up with him. He never once had a 1,000 yrd receiving year. He had one year with 8 TDS Combined (deebo had 8 rushing TDs alone this year). I mean you could argue that if any so-and-so stayed healthy he’d be great. But Percy didn’t. He’s was a good not great player in the nfl. Again I’d take deebo over him at this point in their careers, and it’s not even close.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AllThingsTN said:

You’re obviously entitled to your own opinion. And I’m not saying Percy wasn’t explosive. I watched him at Florida, and no he wasn’t on my team but I kept up with him. He never once had a 1,000 yrd receiving year. He had one year with 8 TDS Combined (deebo had 8 rushing TDs alone this year). I mean you could argue that if any so-and-so stayed healthy he’d be great. But Percy didn’t. He’s was a good not great player in the nfl. Again I’d take deebo over him at this point in their careers, and it’s not even close.

No problem, my friend.  Like you said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  They were/are both excellent, and I'd love to have either one (or both) on my team right now.  :)

On 1/21/2022 at 8:11 AM, Mr Bad Example said:

Every time it seemed like Montgomery was in position to make a significant impact, something weird would happen. I thought he was going to be really good. 

Anyway, here are some Cobb highlights....and not that I think Deebo is a one-year wonder, but he has one "wow!" year and 2 solid ones. I've seen many players that have been penciled in (often by myself) as "oh, this guy is a stud, can't wait to watch his career!" and then *poof* that was their high water mark. One of whom was Randall Cobb, who was on an amazing upward trajectory in yrs 2-3-4 and then fell off to basically being a decent player but nothing earth-shaking. 

This is such a bad example that it makes your user name a prophecy 

Randall Cobb has played in the NFL for over 10 years. We know who he is as a player. He is very dynamic and has a low center of gravity that helps him change direction quickly. He has had a great career. 

With that being said Randall Cobb has never asserted his physical dominance over defenses by getting 7-10 carries for multiple weeks in a row like Deebo has done this season. The plays you pulled were singular examples in a large sample size. Deebo does it every week, multiple times a game, when the entire defense knows its coming but cant stop it.  

There is no comparison. Cobb has never done what Deebo is doing. 

The underline shows that you may be misinformed about Deebo's career to this point. He had a very strong finish to his rookie season. He started slow but there were a lot of positives from it and you could tell he had a lot of juice. He was making a ton of plays at the end of the regular season and the niners hardly passed in the playoffs.

Before his second year, he suffered a lis franc injury and rushed it a bit to come back. He was banged up all season, the niners offense was missing a ton of guys and had Nick Mullens as its starting QB. Deebo is healthy this year and he has a QB who can get him the ball in a manner that is conducive to YAC, and hes been one of the most electric players in the NFL since week 1.

This season is simply the inevitable breakout that he was due for. 

• Like 1