Deebo Samuel

Manny/Patrick

As a Weapon, I'd rank him #1 in the entire league.  No other WR or RB (Kamara/CMC) can do what he does for that offense IMO. 

As a WR, easily 6-10 range. As a WR I still can't put him ahead of the Adams, Diggs, Hopkins, Kupps and Hills of the NFL. At least not yet.

• Like 1

I want to start by saying that I've always been a Deebo fan back to when he was at South Carolina.  He has a very unique skill-set, but I think the OP points something out with his comp that I don't really know that he's accounting for.  Shanahan's system is tailor-fit for a WR like Deebo - YAC-monster type, extremely crisp route-runner, capable of operating from numerous platforms.  Very much the same way that Cooper Kupp fits like a glove in Sean McVay's system - and the systems themselves could be argued as variants of one-another with some tweaks and influence incorporated from other coaches worked under (who still ultimately trace their coaching lineage back to the same Bill Walsh root).  The greater question if we're talking about true one-vs-one comparison to other WR's in the league is can you move them to most (if not any) other team and system and see their production stay the some or fluctuate positively - and a fantastic example of this recently is Stephon Diggs.

The caveat here is that the league has been on a bit of a recent trend of hiring Shanahan/McVay assistants so similar variants of the system have proliferated quite a bit recently.  So in that sense, Deebo has it going in his favor.  But the question to ask is, in term of pure "eliteness" (and I hate that term), is he plug and play in any system on any team or what is the degree to which an OC is going to have to adapt his scheme in order to get comparable production out of the player - because most-if-not-all OC's do some level of adaptation?  It's not accusing him of being a system player, but it's also acknowledging that right now, barring having a QB the like of Rodgers or Brady (arguably the best QB fits for that particular brand of offense), he's in a pretty much ideal situation for maximizing his potential and skillset.

Edited by Dr LBC
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I can't think of a comp for him. Has there ever been a player like him? 

I've seen Boldin, but that's a lazy comp for me

Not as good of hands as Boldin but definitely more explosive. 

21 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

I want to start by saying that I've always been a Deebo fan back to when he was at South Carolina.  He has a very unique skill-set, but I think the OP points something out with his comp that I don't really know that he's accounting for.  Shanahan's system is tailor-fit for a WR like Deebo - YAC-monster type, extremely crisp route-runner, capable of operating from numerous platforms.  Very much the same way that Cooper Kupp fits like a glove in Sean McVay's system - and the systems themselves could be argued as variants of one-another with some tweaks and influence incorporated from other coaches worked under (who still ultimately trace their coaching lineage back to the same Bill Walsh root).  The greater question if we're talking about true one-vs-one comparison to other WR's in the league is can you move them to most (if not any) other team and system and see their production stay the some or fluctuate positively - and a fantastic example of this recently is Stephon Diggs.

The caveat here is that the league has been on a bit of a recent trend of hiring Shanahan/McVay assistants so similar variants of the system have proliferated quite a bit recently.  So in that sense, Deebo has it going in his favor.  But the question to ask is, in term of pure "eliteness" (and I hate that term), is he plug and play in any system on any team or what is the degree to which an OC is going to have to adapt his scheme in order to get comparable production out of the player - because most-if-not-all OC's do some level of adaptation?  It's not accusing him of being a system player, but it's also acknowledging that right now, barring having a QB the like of Rodgers or Brady (arguably the best QB fits for that particular brand of offense), he's in a pretty much ideal situation for maximizing his potential and skillset.

I think this is fair. But Deebo, like Kittle are just one of a kind with the ball in their hands. In terms of just elite WRs where you need that ONE catch? I would put guys like Jefferson, Diggs etc above him. But in terms of just a football player and the impact he has? Very hard to rank anyone above him...Not saying you can't, just that Deebo is in that conversation.

Will be interesting to see the year he has with Lance next season. For all of Jimmy's faults, he has a quick release and he lets Deebo do work on those slants and in breaking routes. Aiyuk may end up getting more targets than Deebo next season, something to watch going forward. 

On 1/13/2022 at 1:28 PM, Manny/Patrick said:

So this is his 3rd year in the league, his first season he had some fumble issues, last year he had a quiet year, and this year he exploded for over 1400 yard REC, 8 rushing TDs. Where does he rank In the top 10?

Deebo Samuel is what we thought Percy harvin would be

Deebo is great, but I'd take a healthy Percy over Deebo.  I haven't watched enough of the other guys to know where Deebo ranks in the Top 10.  I just know he is one of the best receiving weapons in the league.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 6:38 AM, Nabbs4u said:

As a Weapon, I'd rank him #1 in the entire league.  No other WR or RB (Kamara/CMC) can do what he does for that offense IMO. 

As a WR, easily 6-10 range. As a WR I still can't put him ahead of the Adams, Diggs, Hopkins, Kupps and Hills of the NFL. At least not yet.

Not sure about the bolded. I would love to see what Kamara or CMC would do in a Shanny offense. 

6 hours ago, Melbourne 9er said:

Not sure about the bolded. I would love to see what Kamara or CMC would do in a Shanny offense. 

Wouldn't matter? They are RB's. Not WR getting 1400 yds receiving while adding damn bear 400 yds running and 8TD.  

Deebo is a WR that can play RB, neither of them would be full time WR.

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Wouldn't matter? They are RB's. Not WR getting 1400 yds receiving while adding damn bear 400 yds running and 8TD.  

Deebo is a WR that can play RB, neither of them would be full time WR.

McCaffrey has literally had a 1380/1000 season w/ 19 TDs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

McCaffrey has literally had a 1380/1000 season w/ 19 TDs.

As the best dual treat RB in the NFL, yes. There is no other WR in the NFL doing what Deebo does,  "yet"!

Unless you're suggesting CMC could be just as productive as those numbers above say in reverse if a full time WR?

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

As the best dual treat RB in the NFL, yes. There is no other WR in the NFL doing what Deebo does,  "yet"!

Unless you're suggesting CMC could be just as productive as those numbers above say in reverse if a full time WR?

Do you mean producing like Deebo does, or just doing the same things (RB/WR duo) as Deebo? Because there always have been guys like Deebo in the NFL. Even this year Cordarrelle Patterson played the same role for the Falcons that Deebo did for the Niners. You've also had guys like Percy Harvin, Tavon Austin, etc. throughout the past 5-10 years who've played that same role. 

What he's doing isn't unique or new, and we'll see how his production holds up year over year.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Do you mean producing like Deebo does, or just doing the same things (RB/WR duo) as Deebo? Because there always have been guys like Deebo in the NFL. Even this year Cordarrelle Patterson played the same role for the Falcons that Deebo did for the Niners. You've also had guys like Percy Harvin, Tavon Austin, etc. throughout the past 5-10 years who've played that same role. 

What he's doing isn't unique or new, and we'll see how his production holds up year over year.

I'm aware of those players and not one of them has ever produced to this level. Deebo is what those teams always envisioned them to be.