Deebo Samuel

Manny/Patrick

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm aware of those players and not one of them has ever produced to this level. Deebo is what those teams always envisioned them to be.

None of them played in a Kyle Shanahan offense, either. I'm not saying Deebo isn't special, but there's been a million gadget players in the NFL and there always will be. It'll be interesting to see how he produces next year and the years after.

12 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

None of them played in a Kyle Shanahan offense, either. I'm not saying Deebo isn't special, but there's been a million gadget players in the NFL and there always will be. It'll be interesting to see how he produces next year and the years after.

Lumping Deebo in with the rest of those "gadget players" you described is a disservice to him as a player IMO. 

Not every WR is willing to take the punishment he does on a game by game basis. 

I'd be giddy with joy if Jalen Reagor was 1/4 of the player Deebo is for our offense. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

How many gadget players ever had 1,400 yards receiving in a season? 

On 1/13/2022 at 1:56 PM, Dr LBC said:

I want to start by saying that I've always been a Deebo fan back to when he was at South Carolina.  He has a very unique skill-set, but I think the OP points something out with his comp that I don't really know that he's accounting for.  Shanahan's system is tailor-fit for a WR like Deebo - YAC-monster type, extremely crisp route-runner, capable of operating from numerous platforms.  Very much the same way that Cooper Kupp fits like a glove in Sean McVay's system - and the systems themselves could be argued as variants of one-another with some tweaks and influence incorporated from other coaches worked under (who still ultimately trace their coaching lineage back to the same Bill Walsh root).  The greater question if we're talking about true one-vs-one comparison to other WR's in the league is can you move them to most (if not any) other team and system and see their production stay the some or fluctuate positively - and a fantastic example of this recently is Stephon Diggs.

The caveat here is that the league has been on a bit of a recent trend of hiring Shanahan/McVay assistants so similar variants of the system have proliferated quite a bit recently.  So in that sense, Deebo has it going in his favor.  But the question to ask is, in term of pure "eliteness" (and I hate that term), is he plug and play in any system on any team or what is the degree to which an OC is going to have to adapt his scheme in order to get comparable production out of the player - because most-if-not-all OC's do some level of adaptation?  It's not accusing him of being a system player, but it's also acknowledging that right now, barring having a QB the like of Rodgers or Brady (arguably the best QB fits for that particular brand of offense), he's in a pretty much ideal situation for maximizing his potential and skillset.

If there is a system in the NFL that isn't able to take advantage of a WR that is fantastic at both route running and YAC, that system doesn't belong in the modern NFL.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Harvin and Patterson comparisons are disrespectful. Those two as pure receivers were actually terrible-to-below average at best. Deebo is actually a good receiver. 

Harvin was certainly substantially worse as a WR (and overall imo, as a Vikings fan) than Deebo. But Harvin's skillset and talent is probably Deebo's closest match. Just take away a little bit of Harvin's agility and and add a **** ton of strength.

What makes Deebo so much better than Harvin is dedication to the craft. 

He had 300 yards rushing this year… you think players such as Tyrek Hill, Kupp, Antonio Brown, Hopkins, Julio or past greats like Randy Moss or Steve Smith couldn’t have similar if not greater production in that role? Durability always becomes the factor in the end for runners, look no further than SF’s running back room

On 1/17/2022 at 2:17 AM, Mr Bad Example said:

If we're talking Harvin, GB tried to get their own Harvin-type with Randall Cobb, he's probably a less-insulting comparison if we're looking at actual production. 

Probably a tick better than Cobb ever was but that is the best comparison imo. Although measurement wise he is most similar to another former Packer - Ty Montgomery who also played RB extensively. Deebo is a far superior WR though. 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/deebo-samuel

1 hour ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Probably a tick better than Cobb ever was but that is the best comparison imo. Although measurement wise he is most similar to another former Packer - Ty Montgomery who also played RB extensively. Deebo is a far superior WR though. 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/deebo-samuel

He's faster, bigger, and stronger than Cobb. But Cobb was equally versatile. I remember McCarthy saying they actually pulled back his use because they were worried about overloading him - at one point he was starting WR, 3rd down back, PR, and KR.