Deebo Samuel

Manny/Patrick

On 1/16/2022 at 11:48 AM, Yin-Yang said:

Harvin and Patterson comparisons are disrespectful. Those two as pure receivers were actually terrible-to-below average at best. Deebo is actually a good receiver. 

You literally never saw Harvin play if you think this. Harvin was a really good receiver for us right out of the gate. I'm not saying he was as good as Deebo, but he was not "terrible-to-below average." He was above average. 

Edited by AP_allday2869

4 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

He had 300 yards rushing this year… you think players such as Tyrek Hill, Kupp, Antonio Brown, Hopkins, Julio or past greats like Randy Moss or Steve Smith couldn’t have similar if not greater production in that role? Durability always becomes the factor in the end for runners, look no further than SF’s running back room

Greater production? As in average over 6.2 YPC? Highly doubtful any of those guys in Deebo's role are as good as he was. Those guys are awesome, but Deebo is legitimately getting carries that RBs get. He just runs like a natural RB. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

He had 300 yards rushing this year… you think players such as Tyrek Hill, Kupp, Antonio Brown, Hopkins, Julio or past greats like Randy Moss or Steve Smith couldn’t have similar if not greater production in that role? Durability always becomes the factor in the end for runners, look no further than SF’s running back room

Some of them yes, some of them no. 

I will say that I do believe that Chase could probably do what Deebo does, but that's just a guess. 

49 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

You literally never saw Harvin play if you think this. Harvin was a really good receiver for us right out of the gate. I'm not saying he was as good as Deebo, but he was not "terrible-to-below average." He was above average. 

Nothing about Harvin’s game as a receiver was above average. His entire skill set revolved around his athleticism. You’d call him an above average receiver in terms of route running? Catching? Adjusting to the ball? No way.

He was better than Patterson in that regard and slightly more explosive IMO, but above average as a pure pass catcher? Nah.

• Like 1

People are failing to consider that Deebo is literally RB size. 5-10, 215, right? He's not built like a receiver. That allows him to play like an actual RB, which most other receivers can't. Maybe a guy like Tyreek Hill could do it, because of the pure speed and ability to bounce outside. However, guys like Hopkins, Adams, or Kupp are questionable, and others like Michael Thomas or Keenan Allen have no chance. Deebo is literally built for the role.

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Greater production? As in average over 6.2 YPC? Highly doubtful any of those guys in Deebo's role are as good as he was. Those guys are awesome, but Deebo is legitimately getting carries that RBs get. He just runs like a natural RB. 

I agree he runs like a rb! He’s a freakish athlete for sure, but that’s what so many skill position players are. Great on Shanahan finding ways to utilize different and unique skill sets, always exciting when a coach plays to his team’s strengths

5 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

People are failing to consider that Deebo is literally RB size. 5-10, 215, right? He's not built like a receiver. That allows him to play like an actual RB, which most other receivers can't. Maybe a guy like Tyreek Hill could do it, because of the pure speed and ability to bounce outside. However, guys like Hopkins, Adams, or Kupp are questionable, and others like Michael Thomas or Keenan Allen have no chance. Deebo is literally built for the role.

He's a shade over 5'11, but point stands

On 1/14/2022 at 5:34 PM, Uncle Buck said:

Deebo is great, but I'd take a healthy Percy over Deebo.  I haven't watched enough of the other guys to know where Deebo ranks in the Top 10.  I just know he is one of the best receiving weapons in the league.

You’d what? I mean yeah if he was ever anything like he was at Florida….but he wasn’t. Give me Debo over Harvin and it’s not even close. 

On 1/14/2022 at 3:51 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

I can't think of a comp for him. Has there ever been a player like him? 

I've seen Boldin, but that's a lazy comp for me

I feel like peak Golden Tate was pretty similar. Deebo seems better, but I'm not sure if it is because he is or because Kyle Shanahan is such a great schemer. Tate at his peak basically never went down on first contact. Deebo does seem a little stronger, though.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

People really forgetting about how insanely good Percy Harvin was. That dude could change the game on a single play.

Maybe I am forgetting. I remember him being great at Florida. But don’t remember him being anything more than pretty good in the NFL. I could be way off but don’t remember him as a top 10 receiver during his time. 

33 minutes ago, AllThingsTN said:

You’d what? I mean yeah if he was ever anything like he was at Florida….but he wasn’t. Give me Debo over Harvin and it’s not even close. 

He was very good in the NFL - when he was healthy.  He had problems with migraine headaches.  If you don't think it's even close, I'd have to conclude that you didn't see Percy play in the NFL too much.  He was a great kick returner too.  He was an exceptional athlete who was fearless with the ball in his hands.

On 1/20/2022 at 10:00 AM, SpeightTheVillain said:

Probably a tick better than Cobb ever was but that is the best comparison imo. Although measurement wise he is most similar to another former Packer - Ty Montgomery who also played RB extensively. Deebo is a far superior WR though. 

Every time it seemed like Montgomery was in position to make a significant impact, something weird would happen. I thought he was going to be really good. 

Anyway, here are some Cobb highlights....and not that I think Deebo is a one-year wonder, but he has one "wow!" year and 2 solid ones. I've seen many players that have been penciled in (often by myself) as "oh, this guy is a stud, can't wait to watch his career!" and then *poof* that was their high water mark. One of whom was Randall Cobb, who was on an amazing upward trajectory in yrs 2-3-4 and then fell off to basically being a decent player but nothing earth-shaking. 

4 hours ago, AllThingsTN said:

Maybe I am forgetting. I remember him being great at Florida. But don’t remember him being anything more than pretty good in the NFL. I could be way off but don’t remember him as a top 10 receiver during his time. 

You’re not, and he didn’t. Guy was amazing once the ball was in his hands, lethal. The problem was putting it there on anything but screens.

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I feel like peak Golden Tate was pretty similar. Deebo seems better, but I'm not sure if it is because he is or because Kyle Shanahan is such a great schemer. Tate at his peak basically never went down on first contact. Deebo does seem a little stronger, though.

Could absolutely have seen Golden Tate as this type of player. 

• Like 1