2022 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Cause Howie is stubborn and doesn’t want to feel like he’s losing a trade, plus while I’d welcome Clark’s cheap contract and leadership he’s more of a SS which is more of what Harris is at his age and not sure how rangy Epps is on the back end either… he was great coming downhill from deep and playing the run though. So we would have 3 safeties who excel more stopping the run than in coverage.

Better than everyone behind Epps and Harris who literally excel at nothing 

3 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

We paid Reddick 3 years / 45 million, right?

Why did we make his cap hits so little for the first 2 years and so big for the last year with 3 extra dummy years including a huge amount of dead cap for those years?

Here is how it breaks down:

Year 1: $4,028,000 cap hit (miniscual)

Year 2: $6,807,000 cap hit (still really small)

Year 3: $20,227,000 cap hit (HUGE)

Then, his contract is over after 2023, but with the 3 dummy years including 2 years of signing bonuses for $2,743,000 and 3 years of option bonuses of $2,743,000....

Eagles are on the hook even if we let him walk after his contract is up for another $13,688,000 for him not to even be on the team. 

I don't get why we didn't give him more money in year 1 and 2 instead of having this HUGE year 3 # of 20 miilion + a HUGE dead cap hit that will accelerate for 13.6 million after his contract is already finished. I get we'll be in a much healthier position cap wise in 2024 (last year of his deal) and 2025 (when his contract is over and the huge dummy years amount accelerates), but I still don't love how it was done. I think it could've been a bit more balanced than that and have more flexibility to move on from Reddick in his last year if he's not living up to expectations or if Gannon leaves and he doesn't fit, but we can't cause he's getting paid 20 million his last year and if we cut him its a dead cap hit of 19 million. The big part that doesn't make sense to me is the 13.6 million dead cap hit that should accelerate after his contract is already over unless I'm reading it wrong.

I think I'm gonna have tojust DM a cap guy on Twitter to break it down to me like I'm 5 lol. 

I think you have the gist of it. Basically what I’ve read is we can give him a nice bonus and make him happy while we see how it goes the first two years with a limited salary making us happy. After that, if he works out, it’s a no brainer to restructure that deal, giving him more guaranteed money and probably adding dummy years, spreading out the cap hit once gain but at a lesser degree. If he doesn’t work out after those two years I imagine Howie would have to eat a lot of that money but could spread it over those 4 dummy years if necessary. And I really don’t question Howie anymore when it comes to making sure he’s not in a situation that becomes severely detrimental. I think there’s upside and downside to everything he does but it’s all calculated in a way that it doesn’t bury the team. Alshon being one of those moves that really hindered him but it wasn’t some devastating blow. Wentz too really. And those were some bad situations. 

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Better than everyone behind Epps and Harris who literally excel at nothing 

This is true. He would be an upgrade as a SS over Harris. Harris was better closer to the LOS last year, but that just goes to show how his ability as a FS which was his original position has fell off. I still don't mind him in the room as a vet. I would've preferred to keep Rodney cause I think he offers a little bit more coverage wise on the back end and he also won a SB with us and has been great in the Philly area with community service stuff, but Harris was Gannon's guy and I'm guessing that's why he ultimately was the one brought back... *shrug*

54 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

After that, if he works out, it’s a no brainer to restructure that deal, giving him more guaranteed money and probably adding dummy years, spreading out the cap hit once gain but at a lesser degree. 

Agree with most of what you said, but I'm hoping Kyron Johnson grows into becoming starter material by that time and taking over as a younger option with more athleticism still in the tank than a 31 to 34 year old Reddick on an extension.

57 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

And I really don’t quesotion Howie anymore when it comes to making sure he’s not in a situation that becomes severely detrimental.

I feel you... I usually give Howie a pass when it comes to contract stuff, but he's not beyond critique. I called a spade a spade with that dumb Alshon Jeffery restructure when it happened and didn't necessarily love how much money he gave to a declining Cox this year. I get that cut and re-signing was more of a formality, but still don't think Fletcher's play has earned him the right to still be on a big money contract which that definitely is. With the addition of Jordan Davis its easier to overlook. A lot of Howie's pushing the can down the road has played a signifcant role in getting us into this bad cap situation we are starting to try and get out from under. I get he thought he was trying to keep a "SB window" open, but he even admitted he has been too sentimental with certain players hanging on too long. I still think he's one of the better guys at doing contracts along with Jake Rosenberg (VP of Football Administration) who I believe helps him with a lot of that type of stuff. And, I don't think I'm really criticizing him for the Reddick signing either. I like how he fits the defense and don't think the average per year is that crazy. I just thought it was a weird set up and didn't need some of the dummy years for signing bonus and option bonuses that he threw in there.

4 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I didn’t know Chuck was a Philly kid. Changes everything. Bring him in. 

Nasir Adderley of the Chargers who is in the last year of his rookie deal who I and other Eagles fans wanted us to pick before we selected JJAW was also born in Philly and played HS ball just outside the city. He also fits what we need better than Clark and is younger and an ascending talent with the Chargers having just spent a 3rd round pick on a FS in JT Woods. 

I'd love to get him if the Chargers aren't willing to pay him a significant contract next year when he's scheduled to be a free agent. That may have played a role in them drafting Woods in the 3rd. Chargers with their additions this offseason might not want to move on from him right now and would rather get a comp pick if they do lose him, so I don't think it would be easy to get him, but if its not too crazy...  I'd do it.

15 minutes ago, Daimonas said:

Epps was honestly pretty decent last season though. Made a few good plays.

He was our best safety for sure. Very reliable as a tackler. Glad he's gonna get a shot to get a starting job, but I still wouldn't mind trading for another safety. 

43 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Prob not but I was happy to hear that we have interest.

Yeah, I feel you. I'm sure Howie will still add a guy or two to the secondary. I just don't think Howie is gonna get in a bidding war with other teams with more cap space for Bradberry. Might depend on what kind of contract he's looking for too. Is he just looking for a big 1 year deal and then to hit the market next year when teams will have more cap space? 

25 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

He was. I think he goes into the year as a starter whether we like it or not 

He's SAF1 in my eyes. If we bring in another guy worthy to start, I'm either cutting Harris or relegating him to SAF3. Harris is that guy where I'm just like dude do you even play?

25 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

He was our best safety for sure. Very reliable as a tackler. Glad he's gonna get a shot to get a starting job, but I still wouldn't mind trading for another safety. 

Yeah, I feel you. I'm sure Howie will still add a guy or two to the secondary. I just don't think Howie is gonna get in a bidding war with other teams with more cap space for Bradberry. Might depend on what kind of contract he's looking for too. Is he just looking for a big 1 year deal and then to hit the market next year when teams will have more cap space? 

Yeah I agree, he shouldn't get into a war over him. And honestly if we can't get a surefire starter on a good deal, then just roll with the young guys. I'd honestly be intrigued to see McPhearson vs.  Gowan vs. Goodrich vs. Jobe. I have no interest in seeing the corpse of a Waynes, Rhodes, Bouye, King etc out there. wasting away.