Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? Part 1 (Amari Cooper)

The_Slamman

Should Amari Cooper Stay or Go?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Dallas Cowboys Cut Amari Cooper Before the 2022 Season?

• Yes. His price tag outgrew his production.
    • No. Coop is still a weapon and we don't need another hole to fill.
    • Wait until after the draft to decide.

As must of you know, the cowboys are already projected to be $14M over next year’s cap.  Of course, the cowboys could get under the cap by restructuring high contracts and extending cap hits against future caps.  For example, we’d save about $14M against the cap by converting Dak’s base salary into signing bonus next year.  The downside is Dak would account for $50M against the cap in 2023 and increase dead money on Dak’s void years of contract.  Same could be done with Lawrence, Martin, Smith etc.  But as we know, all that restructuring comes at a cost and it rarely works to our benefit.

Additionally, the Cowboys have numerous FAs that had significant playing time this year including Gregory, Schultz (seemingly the only offensive weapon who is truly in sync with Dak), LVE, Kearney, Neal, Kazee, williams, Gallup, Cedrick Wilson, Armstrong, Hooker and Urban.  

This will be a 2 part series… first, let’s focus on players who are or should be on the chopping block.  Next, let’s look at players who should be brought back and for what price.

Next up, Amari Cooper

Coop counts $22M against the 2022 cap.  The good news is that $20M of the $22M is base.  In other words, if Dallas cut Coop before June 1, Dallas would save $16M on the 2022 cap while incurring $6M in dead money.  If Coop gets cut after June 1, we would save $20M against the 2022 cap while incurring $2M in dead money in 2022, 2023, and 2024.

Production wise, Coop played in 15 games, 67% of the snaps, had 68 receptions for 865 yards and 8 TDs.  Coop also became the squeaky wheel in 2021 complaining about not getting the ball enough.  He is still young (27 years old).  

Also, cutting Coop could have the potential of creating a very thin receiving corp with Gallup, Wilson and Brown all being FAs (not to mention Schultz).  

So, should Amari Cooper stay or go?

This is a two part question:

We either Keep Coop & don't re-signed Gallup or we Cut Coop & re-sign Gallup. 

Say we Cut Coop, save 16 M. Sign Gallup for 11.6 M (Spotrac) - a net savings of 4 Million. Without knowing how Gallup returns after the injury, does this savings present enough value? Conversely, are we ready for CeeDee to take the next step?

I am a yes to CeeDee taking the next Step & a No to Cutting Coop for Gallup. I'd hope to bring down his price point. If I can't, then I would be okay with cutting Coop.

For argument's sake I voted for 'yes' but I am not convinced that is the right course of action.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigD88 said:

Absolutely not. 
Cut Coop to keep a lesser talented WR coming off an ACL injury and a number 3 target?
Seriously?

With modern medicine and therapies, ACL injuries are not what they used to be. Gallup could easily be a number 2 on most teams and even a number 1 on some teams

you prorate Gallup’s stats over 17 games, he’s right on par with what Cooper did over the that span. 

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

With modern medicine and therapies, ACL injuries are not what they used to be. Gallup could easily be a number 2 on most teams and even a number 1 on some teams

you prorate Gallup’s stats over 17 games, he’s right on par with what Cooper did over the that span. 

They’re still not ideal. He wouldn’t be the same guy next year regardless given the late timing, and Cooper is a total stud in his prime right now.
Getting rid of players like Cooper is not how you get better. Of all the holes on this team, this is not one. His contract is timed perfectly to run through the end of his prime. You roll with him and Ceedee as your top duo and enjoy the compensatory picks from Gallup and Wilson in 2023. 

Edited by BigD88

28 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

So if he has no value to other teams that should explain his value with us. 

I would say yes.  I don’t see much value for him at $20M and my guess is other nfl teams will feel the same way.  I think Dak is more comfortable throwing to DS tbh.  

• Like 1