Head Coach Candidates

Acgott

With the head coaching hires gaining steam, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Giants cancel the Leslie Frazier interview for tomorrow and just name Daboll the head coach tomorrow during the day. That is, unless there is a true handshake agreement in place (I think there is) that they trust Daboll to honor (unsure; I don't know how hard Miami is pushing for Daboll).

I want this on record, so I can come back to it later if I'm right:

I think Daboll would be a very good hire for this team. However, I think the Giants have done themselves a disservice by not interviewing Nathaniel Hackett, Mike Kafka, Kevin O'Connell, and Mike Mcdaniel for their head coaching vacancy. I think those guys are some of the brightest and most progressive minds in football right now that have at least a bare minimum resume to qualify for a head coaching interview. 

Also, the amount of info and evaluation Schoen brought to his opening press conference leads me to believe his hiring as GM has actually been in the works for for months, well before Gettleman retired, which also leads me to believe Schoen has had Daboll tabbed as his preferred head coach for a while as well. I think these rounds of interviews, both for GM and head coach, were mostly a farce. While Peters and Poles are/were great GM candidates, they were never actually going to get this job.

32 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I think Daboll would be a very good hire for this team. However, I think the Giants have done themselves a disservice by not interviewing Nathaniel Hackett, Mike Kafka, Kevin O'Connell, and Mike Mcdaniel for their head coaching vacancy. I think those guys are some of the brightest and most progressive minds in football right now that have at least a bare minimum resume to qualify for a head coaching interview. 

Also, the amount of info and evaluation Schoen brought to his opening press conference leads me to believe his hiring as GM has actually been in the works for for months, well before Gettleman retired, which also leads me to believe Schoen has had Daboll tabbed as his preferred head coach for a while as well. I think these rounds of interviews, both for GM and head coach, were mostly a farce. While Peters and Poles are/were great GM candidates, they were never actually going to get this job.

I agree with the first part tremendously. I don’t think we had a good HC search. We needed more opinions on offense.

Regarding the second part, what information are you referring to.

3 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I agree with the first part tremendously. I don’t think we had a good HC search. We needed more opinions on offense.

Regarding the second part, what information are you referring to.

Schoen was the first in the first and second rounds of interviews. He came into the presser with evaluations already on the roster and Daniel Jones specifically; contrast that with Joe Judge's intro press conference answers when asked about Daniel Jones.

There may be a few other small things, but nothing concrete. This is mainly just a feeling I have.

4 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Yeah, this confirms (if that report is true) that Daboll has the Giants #1 on his list. Miami is just waiting to see if he takes that job.

48 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Schoen was the first in the first and second rounds of interviews. He came into the presser with evaluations already on the roster and Daniel Jones specifically; contrast that with Joe Judge's intro press conference answers when asked about Daniel Jones.

There may be a few other small things, but nothing concrete. This is mainly just a feeling I have.

I didn’t hear anything that would give me that impression. I’m sure when he was prepping for his interviews, he was watching tape on the Giants and learning the roster, so he could have a plan to discuss with the owners. There’s been over 2 weeks since we first contacted the Bills. Plenty of time to watch most of our season.

For Judge, there was less than 2 weeks for first known contact and press conference. The responsibilities for front office and HC are vastly different as well during the season. Judge would have been finishing his season, while Scheon’s main focus is just getting started. Front Office staff would be watching tape during the season, on most of the nfl and prospects, while Judge as a coach mostly would focus on his team and the next opponent.

On 1/27/2022 at 11:56 AM, minutemancl said:

Not a head coach candidate, but apparently Kafka is one of the finalists for our OC job, which I'd love.