Raider fan coming in peace... tell me about Jim Harbaugh?

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Sounds a lot like Gruden lol.

This just reminded me of this story that was out there. Apparently when Richard Sherman was in the draft our FO wanted to draft him in the third round, but Harbaugh shut it down. Obviously Sherman and Harbaugh had a history at Stanford, and who knows how much validity there is to that story, but I wouldn't put it past him to get involved in some personnel things like Gruden did. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 8:28 PM, adamq said:

Great coach, but I have managed to wipe most of the memories from those years. Expected a dynasty and all we got was 3 fades to Michael Crabtree and Kyle Williams muffs

Yep, I loved him, but he just wasn't the right guy IMO

On 1/19/2022 at 8:45 PM, GW21 said:

Loved him when he was here. He’s an egomaniac for sure. He couldn’t get along with the GM -although that GM was Trent Baalke - and also had an incident when he told our owner to leave a team meeting because ‘it was for men’. I think he’d get players going and would be great for a quick turnaround. I think his methods kind of wear on players after a bit. I remember Alex Boone calling him out about how much he was pushing guys after they had just gotten to the Super Bowl; which honestly being uber competitive isn’t an awful thing. I think Harbaugh is good for the NFL and I’d be happy to see him back. I’m kind of torn because at the time it kind of seemed like he might have forced him self out with his behavior, but seeing Baalke do all this crap again in Jacksonville kind of makes me think he was fighting an uphill battle the whole time.

IMO, he's not equipped to lead men, let alone 19yr olds coming into college, he's an egomaniac, he never should have been fired before Baalke, but he refused to get rid of Roman and his vanilla offense. I just don't think he's meant for the NFL, like Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Lane KIffin, etc....

I have very mixed feelings on Harbaugh. I absolutely worshiped him in 2011 and 2012. He brought the 49ers back from the void in force. He built one heck of a coaching staff and took a talented team to heights not seen since the 90's. 

With all of that said, he's pretty overrated as a coach. He was billed as a "QB Whisperer" and could not develop Kaep. He alienated just about everyone and split the team in half - either you were with him or against by the time 2014 rolled around. He couldn't win the biggest games and that still holds true today for him. 

Harbaugh is a great builder. He comes in and builds up an organization better than a lot of Head coaches. But he has absolutely no staying power. He will jump when things get tough or he gets bored. He only sticks around for 4-5 years and will look for a better situation.

For me, it's hard to get excited about Harbaugh anymore. He's a rah rah guy that works great in college and is hit or miss in the pros. He's not an offensive genius, he's not a QB whisperer, he's not an innovator. He's a really good at getting people to buy into his philosophy, building up an org/program, then pissing off when things get hard or boring.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 10:15 AM, NinerNation21 said:

He's not an offensive genius, he's not a QB whisperer, he's not an innovator.

One time, I got so much hate on twitter for simply stating that Harbaugh wasn't a QB whisperer... like, incredible amounts of hate. For most people, it was impossible that Alex could have "resurrected" his career on his own, even though his stats in the second part of 2010 were pretty much in line with his stats in 2011 under Harbaugh. And you can't be an offensive genius when : A) You deliberately dumb down offenses; B) You're not even the play caller or primary play designer. Jim was a leader. Nothing more, nothing less. On game day, players would run through a wall for him, he had that kind of demented energy that would inhabit his players. But I can't imagine how he was from Monday to Saturday. Players put up with it because of the winning. Winning cures all. But the difference between a coach like Harbaugh and a great coach, is how players react when they don't win. Kyle lost his first nine games, and players still played hard for him. We lost our QB early on year 2, and the players still played hard for him. We lost so many players last year, and the team still battled through week 17. And we lost four in a row this year, and now we're in the NFCCG. I don't think players would have fought as hard for Harbaugh. Maybe for John, not for Jim. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

One time, I got so much hate on twitter for simply stating that Harbaugh wasn't a QB whisperer... like, incredible amounts of hate. For most people, it was impossible that Alex could have "resurrected" his career on his own, even though his stats in the second part of 2010 were pretty much in line with his stats in 2011 under Harbaugh. And you can't be an offensive genius when : A) You deliberately dumb down offenses; B) You're not even the play caller or primary play designer. Jim was a leader. Nothing more, nothing less. On game day, players would run through a wall for him, he had that kind of demented energy that would inhabit his players. But I can't imagine how he was from Monday to Saturday. Players put up with it because of the winning. Winning cures all. But the difference between a coach like Harbaugh and a great coach, is how players react when they don't win. Kyle lost his first nine games, and players still played hard for him. We lost our QB early on year 2, and the players still played hard for him. We lost so many players last year, and the team still battled through week 17. And we lost four in a row this year, and now we're in the NFCCG. I don't think players would have fought as hard for Harbaugh. Maybe for John, not for Jim. 

Harbaugh helped Alex by giving him a stable offense that was run-first and didn't ask too much of Alex. He needed that baby step to be able to unlock his talent that the 49ers Org tried so hard to destroy. 

Harbaugh, Roman, and Chryst did help Alex develop, but certainly didn't take his talent to a new level. Same with Kaep. 

• Like 1