NFC Championship Game GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I know in the 2nd half of the week 18 game we got a lot of pressure on Stafford, but I want to see what exactly the defense did an covering Kupp. He had the one big reception on Ward and the TD, but don't think he got targeted aside from those two plays. 

I know that game was wild with Johnson starting in the slot and then moving to safety once Tartt got hurt and Dennard ending up in the slot after being brought up from the practice squad. The defense did not blink even once with all the injuries to the secondary. 

I think Johnson needs to be on the field on either nickel downs or when we go to dime sets. Just find a way to get him in the game. Ward on Kupp when we go to man coverage on money downs. Ward won the first battle and Kupp won the second battle. But Ward is clearly the best man for the job when Kupp is in the slot. If he's outside? No problem with Moseley or Thomas covering him. 

Just watched all the 2nd half reps by the defense and honestly we didn't really do anything different than what we usually do. There was a whole a lot of zone defense and Kupp wasn't doubled much at all. This wasn't like Adams this past game where we did bracket him a decent amount. Ryans rushed four most of the time and occasionally brought the blitz but really the back end was playing very sound and Warner/Greenlaw really were on top of their games. They were making the right reads in picking up the crossers or passing them over and never were fooled. 

Kind of surprising that we really didn't do anything special in our coverages against Kupp. I will say, OBJ had A LOT of one on one opportunities against Moseley. I wonder if Stafford takes more shots to him on Sunday? Even Thomas got some reps on him with no help. 

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

Trent Williams could be important, guys

Trent missed two games this year, one against the Colts and one against the Rams. 

Against the Colts - QBR 9.0

Against the Rams - QBR 50.4

Then Trent may have missed snaps here and there but MEH to this stat. Not that Trent isn't VERY important, but let's have some context here please lol. Jimmy played one TERRIBLE game against the Colts and then played his usual game against the Rams. His QBR was close to what it usually is. 

20 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I argued on twitter, after our win last week, that I preferred the match-up with the Rams. The bucs are built to stop us in almost every way. And we're built to beat the Rams. What are our offensive strengths? Running the ball and quick hitting passes. The Bucs stop the run, and have fast LBs, limiting quick throwing windows. They don't have great corners, but that's not a problem, because we don't let plays develop long enough for that to count, because Jimmy is a limited thrower, and because they have a good pass rush. And on offense, Tom Brady can be a frustrating guy to pass rush, because he gets rid of the ball so much, and they have a good OL (maybe lessened by Wirf's injury) and they can be physical in the run game. On the other hand, we match up well against the Rams, because while they can pass rush and hold up on the back end, their LBs can't cover nearly as well as ours or the Bucs', so there are opportunities to exploit them over the middle of the field. What's more frustrating to a DL applying pressure than a QB hitting a quick slant right behind them? That's what we can do, and where the Rams are vulnerable. And we've proven that we can create run opportunities against them. Our offense matches better against the Rams than the Bucs. And our defense matches well against any team, because not only we have a great pass rush, but we can eliminate the quick passing game too. We don't let the plays develop long enough to expose our corners, and QBs don't have an easy outlet that can frustrate the defense. I think most people think of quality front 7s, which we do have (our base front 7 may be the best in the league), but we also have a potent second pass rushing unit, and when you add the coverage ability we have in the slot, with K'Waun and Jimmie Ward, that's truly where the strength of our defense lies. Last year, we had half the pass rush we have this year, but the DBs were strong (Verrett played at a probowl level and Moseley was pretty good too), and the LBs eliminated a lot of quick options. The QBs had nowhere to go, and we got tons of key 3 and outs (but the offense couldn't always deliver). This year, the DBs aren't at the same level. Lost Verrett, Moseley hasn't played a whole lot, and Ambry Thomas is just coming into his own, but the DL and LBs have carried the defense for the last 10-12 weeks. I think there's always been this idea of there being coverage sacks, and yes, in some cases it was cornerbacks locking down their receiver downfield, until the pressure got home. But I think what we're seeing more now, is the coverage sack being created by the front 7 itself, where the QB has pressure in his face, and no quick outlet. We've seen Stafford get rattled in such situations. He's probably thrown the shortest pick 6s in history, this year. I definitely think we match up a lot better to the Rams. And I want to see them cry.

• Like 4

If we lose Ryans, would it be the craziest thing to bring in Flores as DC if he doesn't land a HC job?  

Different, more blitz happy philosophy his one year calling plays in New England but I do think that players were playing hard for him in Miami and that team generally over achieved. 

• Like 2

So I was looking at the Rams first half drives compared to the second half drives and was surprised how close they were in terms of total yards and yards per play.

Rams scored 17 points on 142 total yards on the first three drives. The two TD drives consisted of 80 total yards. Totally forgot how great field position they got on those two drives. One started at the 39 yard line and the other at the 19. Like our defense wasn't that bad at all. Rams just got some clutch 3rd/4th down conversions and then had one gimmie TD off a nice punt return. 

First half 155 yards on 34 plays = 4.6 YPP

Second half 138 yards  on 4.5 YPP

The difference? First half TOP over 19 minutes and the second half was less than 12 minutes. 

On ESPN it says the total yards for the Rams was 265 but I got 293 so not sure what I'm missing there? 

Anyways, in the first meeting the Rams had 278 yards on 54 plays = 5.1 YPP. Better but they had some bad turnovers and terrible fake FG attempt that hurt their offense. 

I keep hearing people say the Rams choked the week 18 match up, but nah man. They legitimately just got some good field position on two TD drives in the first half and struggled to generate consistent offense the rest of the way. The Niners defense has contained them for 6 of the 8 quarters this season. Just need to play the same type of game tomorrow and continue taking the big play away. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's what I thought, but look at the last drive in regulation:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay/_/gameId/401326599

It is including the sack yards there? I don't know, but I gave up figuring out how all this works lol.

Hmm, interesting. Yeah, it doesn't match up. PFR also indicates they lost 37 yards on sacks, so that doesn't add up. PFR also says 265 yards. Did you include yards that may have been wiped out by penalties? 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Hmm, interesting. Yeah, it doesn't match up. PFR also indicates they lost 37 yards on sacks, so that doesn't add up. PFR also says 265 yards. Did you include yards that may have been wiped out by penalties? 

Honestly, I just added up the drives listed in the play by play and the yards they have. 

Even the Niners yards don't add up. I got 444 yards not 449 yards lol.

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly, I just added up the drives listed in the play by play and the yards they have. 

Even the Niners yards don't add up. I got 444 yards not 449 yards lol.

I'm not going to lie J....I may have reservations now about using you as my accountant. 

On 1/28/2022 at 3:29 PM, NcFinest9erFan said:

Its gonna really suck if the Bengals won but we lose and Trent is the deciding factor.

Trent will not be the reason we win or lose this gm if he doesn't play. We have a very good team. Might have doubts about players...but not this team. If we play lights out we will win. 

3 minutes ago, sherm said:

Trent will not be the reason we win or lose this gm if he doesn't play. We have a very good team. Might have doubts about players...but not this team. If we play lights out we will win. 

Hard to play lights out without Trent. You're talking about starting Colton Mckivitz