2023 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking 259 picks:

Ozzy

Trenton Simpson may end up being the fastest LB in the draft which will get him looks.  The more complete LBs are Campbell and To'o To'o.  I expect Simpson to vastly overshadow them in the athletic department.  Simpson and Pace will be the high ceiling and low floor picks.  Pace because of his size and Simpson because of his inexperience.

Some team will take a lottery ticket on the Boom/Bust players in the late 1st.  Shazier was a Boom/Bust who was crap for 2.5 seasons until he "got it".  Then he played like a LB with 4.3 speed.  I expect Simpson to be similar.  I do think the Pace fits the "Shazier" mold better in that Pace has a lot of splash plays in college.

• 1 month later...

Edited since the combine, and included a few new players based on that as well.  Might have to add Bostick as well but need to watch him a little more, guys like Bergeron and Freeland do help the depth of the OL class, not totally sold on Freeland yet but he did workout well.  Evans I liked at Louisville and he did work out well and ran great for being 225.

1st
17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Deonte Banks Maryland RS JR CB

2nd
60. Buffalo Bills: Matthew Bergeron Syracuse RS JR OT
64. Kansas City Chiefs: Blake Freeland BYU JR OT

3rd
94. Carolina Panthers (via San Francisco): Luke Musgrave Oregon State RS JR TE

4th
124. Seattle Seahawks: Daniel Scott Cal RS SR S
130. Dallas Cowboys: Lonnie Phelps Kansas RS JR DE/OLB

5th

7th
235. Green Bay Packers: Tyson Bagent Shepard QB RS SR
236. Washington Commanders: Tiyon Evans Louisville JR RB

8 minutes ago, jebrick said:

You have Banks rated a full round higher than I do. meh

Phillips, Johnson and Ringo did not impress physically like Banks did.  Banks did look physically elite and his tape shows great mirror ability.  Could be a reach but he does seem to have some big time upside and is not awful at tackling either.  Porter and absolutely Gonzalez and Witherspoon will be gone by the Steelers pick.  Honestly Banks out performed Porter I thought at the combine and in terms of their play not sure Porter was all that great this past season, did not make as many plays but still could be a great player. 

Really they should trade down and get Jack Campbell potentially.  

Maybe they should go with Dawand Jones but not sure who the LT would be, depends on how sold they are on those tackles.  No way Jones could play LT he is more of a RT but again not sure how much they like Dan Moore.  

YMMV but I do not think the Steeles take a OT high in the draft.  They are happy about how they performed late in the season.  IOL is a different matter.  LG is easily the weakest point on the Oline at this point and a center is not out of the question.

At ILB, I think the Steelers sign a Fa and then draft one.  Tomlin likes the athletic fast ILB.  While Campbell would work well in a 4-3 I see Tomlin drafting speed like Simpson or Sanders.  If Tomlin is convinced to change how they do their ILB then Campbell moves higher but I think it will totally depend on who they sign in FA.  If they sign a speed guy like Edmunds then Campbell is more of a possibility.  If they sign someone like Kendricks then I think they go the speed route.

At CB, they would get someone who can play off man and zone.  Not sure Banks is there compared to Ringo plus Ringo is young which is another thing Tomlin loves to draft in the 1st round.

Again, thanks for the work you put into this.  We are both likely wrong but it is fun to talk about it.

Updated with Comp picks included that are up to date along with the order.

I have CJ Stroud going #1 but that could change if Bryce Young really impresses at his pro day.  Hard to not be impressed with Stroud at the combine and how fluid he was as a passer, totally out performed the other QBs there.  Richardson wowed athletically and in terms of his arm strength but did miss some throws and is much more of a project of course.

Not sure what the Bears do at #9, maybe they got WR or maybe they go OT potentially in Broderick Jones.  That would leave the Jets in a mess because they need OT help but not sure Dawand Jones could play LT and Paris/Peter Skoronski are both gone so could leave them with an issue.

12 hours ago, General Tso said:

Can't complain about the Lions draft if it falls that way. Seems wild that Myles Murphy can fall that far. I personally have a guilty pleasure for Darnell Washington, so I'm all in.

Maybe Myles Murphy does not fall that far but not performing at the combine did not do him any favors.  Is some question as to how athletic he is and with the outstanding performance by Nolan Smith athletically he will be moved up, and no way Myles Murphy should be picked over an athletic freak show like Lukas Van Ness either honestly.  Same can be said for Keion White so that could kick him out of the 1st round in my book.

Will be interesting how Murphy tests if he does, my guess is athletically he is not going to wow like Van Ness and others did for example.  

Isaiah Foskey I had 1st round and dropped him and he even preformed extremely well athletically, maybe I should switch Murphy below him as well and Adetomiwa Adebawore athletically was insanely impressive at that size, he could also jump Murphy possibly.  

Jalen Carter is a bit of a risk with that legal stuff, but they do need DT help and maybe they got Tyree Wilson if Seattle takes Carter instead.  Possibly with their free agent CBs maybe CB should be addressed.  I might have them go Mekhi Blackmon instead of Mustipher in the 5th.

3 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think your edge prospect rankings suck. We are way off on a lot of those guys…especially Ojulari & FAU. And I think Tuli is gonna be awful. 

Ojulari I had as a 1st rounder way back early on, the fact he did not wow at the combine did hurt him a bit, he should have ran but might be hiding something.  Tuli I was surprised had a weight of 266 was listed at 290 at USC and that is what was so impressive about him, if that was a lie and he is 265ish that is disappointing but is probably a edge guy anyway.  Awful, I do not see that but we will see how he times, in terms of pure production not DL was more productive than him in college, lead the nation in sacks.  That is awful, and that was on an awful D, sure he got by on hustle at times but last time I checked pass rush moves can be taught, not desire or determination.

I do fear Nolan Smith might be totally overrated and really has never had more than 5 sacks in any season but probably would have this past year if he did not get hurt.  On the field I would be more comfortable with him in the 2nd but that combine workout will jump him up.  Is a great team leader though, absolutely elite level athlete, can bend the edge and could be good as a pro but also could suck.  Still hard to not be impressed with that combine performance.  Van Ness I think I have too low but that guy also wowed and who cares about his pass rush moves he literally moves guys backwards and again that cannot be taught like a pass rush move can.

Tyree Wilson I might have too high but again he fits the profile and unless he tanks at the pro day dude seems pretty legit with a good deal of upside.  

Sure Myles Murphy could be up there but we will see, I was not amazed with his play this past season, will be interesting what he does.  He can Wilson could change things with how they workout, same with Tuli, if he works out well I totally put him back in the 1st round.  

Andre Carter II is wildly interesting, dude is an impressive long athlete but clearly needs time in the weight room.  And fact is at Army no way he got physical training for football like guys do at say Ohio State.  So he is raw as can be right now, put him on a NFL roster with a NFL weight room and trainer, dude could develop into a monster.  Just physically he looks thin and a lot of that has to be playing at Army where football is not #1 at all, and it shouldn't be.  

And sure Mike Morris had a bad combine also, but put that dude as a 4/3 DE and he would be a rock in the run game and could maybe even be a 3/4 DE as well.  Sure 3/4 OLB might be out of the question depending on the system but Green Bay does like big 3/4 OLBs so who know.  

Edited by Ozzy

16 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

Did I miss Joe Tippmann? If he’s not in your draft give him to the Packers in the 7th.

I never watched Tippmann and thought wow he is so amazing, especially in such a deep center class.  The fact he is rated by some highly is mostly because he is a Wisconsin center and people just put him there because of it.  If Tyler Biadasz is a 4th round pick, and I had him as a late 1st or early 2nd rounder, no way I have Tippmann that high because to me no way is he as good as Biadasz was in terms of consistent production and play.  

Is interesting Tippmann is 6-6 but outside of that, eh.  Maybe I am missing something with him though.  

I still think Jarrett Patterson is being underrated in this process.  Sure he did not workout great but on the field he is solid as hell and has never given up a sack in a long career playing at a high level, playing in 48 games.  That guard and center versatility to me is also very interesting, but some view him as damaged goods for some reason.  

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I never watched Tippmann and thought wow he is so amazing, especially in such a deep center class.  The fact he is rated by some highly is mostly because he is a Wisconsin center and people just put him there because of it.  If Tyler Biadasz is a 4th round pick, and I had him as a late 1st or early 2nd rounder, no way I have Tippmann that high because to me no way is he as good as Biadasz was in terms of consistent production and play.  

Is interesting Tippmann is 6-6 but outside of that, eh.  Maybe I am missing something with him though.  

I still think Jarrett Patterson is being underrated in this process.  Sure he did not workout great but on the field he is solid as hell and has never given up a sack in a long career playing at a high level, playing in 48 games.  That guard and center versatility to me is also very interesting, but some view him as damaged goods for some reason.  

Yea you are definitely missing something, just more laziness on your part but that’s par for the course.

Also, Wisconsin linemen do get a bump and not just because they are from Wisconsin but because they generally and historically outplay their draft position.

5 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

Yea you are definitely missing something, just more laziness on your part but that’s par for the course.

Also, Wisconsin linemen do get a bump and not just because they are from Wisconsin but because they generally and historically outplay their draft position.

Laziness?  I should go ahead and block you, wish I could block you from viewing what I post honestly.  Pretty pompous commentary from someone that reads that I write but does not produce much of anything yourself.  Maybe I should be calling you lazy then.  Coming from a Wisconsin fan I guess that is par for the course actually, well done.     

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Laziness?  I should go ahead and block you, wish I could block you from viewing what I post honestly.  Pretty pompous commentary from someone that reads that I write but does not produce much of anything yourself.  Maybe I should be calling you lazy then.  Coming from a Wisconsin fan I guess that is par for the course actually, well done.     

Nice retort. I’ve seen all your nonsense on here year in and year out and not only are you wrong 90% of the time but you can never admit when you are wrong, which shouldn’t be hard. Yea I’m a Wisconsin fan so I have some idea of the players these guys are, not just watching small snippets of them and making a judgement based on that. 

And yes, saying someone is only rated highly because of the school where they played is 100% laziness. But keep up the hard work!

• Like 1