OC Search 2022

1ForTheThumb

With McDaniels departure, and Ivan Fears rumored to be retiring, the Patriots have already lost/are likely to lose a ton of experience on an already (relatively) inexperienced staff. I for one am excited for a change and a breath of fresh air in the offense. Don't get me wrong, I think McDaniels is a good OC, but I think a change is going to be good.

Bill OB is rumored to be the favorite, and makes the most sense from an experience + familiarity standpoint, but who are some other options that you would like to see take over?

How about former Pats third round pick Kevin O'Connell? Familiarity with the system + coming from McVay coaching tree + young coordinator with experience + young second year QB = recipe for success? The most recent example of a coach joining from outside the Belichick circle was a guy with working under McVay. Jedd Fisch.

Before that it was Brian Daboll who started with the Pats but then bounced around between the Jets, Chiefs, Dolphins, and Browns before rejoining the Pats for three years after O'Brien left. Daboll left the Pats again for Alabama and Buffalo, and now deservingly is a HC for the Giants.

O'Connell left the Pats as a player after getting his first shot in the league here. He has bounced around as a player and now is getting HC interviews after being the Rams OC. McVay calls plays from what I am aware so maybe the chance to call plays, rejoin the team he started with, and work with a young year 2 QB interests O'Connell and the possibility of waiting to be the Pats future HC is real for him.

19 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

How about former Pats third round pick Kevin O'Connell? Familiarity with the system + coming from McVay coaching tree + young coordinator with experience + young second year QB = recipe for success? The most recent example of a coach joining from outside the Belichick circle was a guy with working under McVay. Jedd Fisch.

Before that it was Brian Daboll who started with the Pats but then bounced around between the Jets, Chiefs, Dolphins, and Browns before rejoining the Pats for three years after O'Brien left. Daboll left the Pats again for Alabama and Buffalo, and now deservingly is a HC for the Giants.

O'Connell left the Pats as a player after getting his first shot in the league here. He has bounced around as a player and now is getting HC interviews after being the Rams OC. McVay calls plays from what I am aware so maybe the chance to call plays, rejoin the team he started with, and work with a young year 2 QB interests O'Connell and the possibility of waiting to be the Pats future HC is real for him.

I'd love it, but he seems like a favoured HC candidate in a bunch of places and I think he will eventually take one of the jobs.

Joe Brady would have been a good person to bring on staff.. the fact that he settled for a QB coach position so early is surprising.. he must have been getting no interest around the league. 

Saban apparently said today that Bill O'Brien isn't leaving as well ( not that it means much ) 

Saban claims Bill O'Brien isn't going anywhere... 

So that means they are either promoting from within ( who!?) or they need to hire an OC /QB /RB Coach.. most likely option has to be Chad O'Shea. My confusion there though is.. if he's just a passing game coordinator in Cleveland.. why didn't he just come back to the Patriots after Miami to do the same thing? Made me believe back then that BB just didn't want him back. 

They have nobody with play calling experience on the staff.. and most of these guys barely have NFL experience. 

• 2 weeks later...