The Steelers QB Conundrum

43M

32 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I admittedly don’t know much about the QB prospects yet but this video peaked my interest on Ridder. Probably not in the 1st but would love if he fell to our 2nd. I think I prefer him to Willis. 

Ridder's my favorite. He's got a massive ceiling and NFL measurables. He's the only guy that simultaneously checks both of those boxes.  

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 5:23 AM, Ward4HOF said:

Honestly, if we are going to grab a Vet at QB, then no trades, and please, go after someone who might surprise/develop, and is better than Landry Jones-errr, umm, I meant to say Mason Rudolph (honestly...is there really much difference in 'impact' between those 2??)...

But back to my point--there are only 3 QBs that I'd be interested in the Steelers acquiring as a potential starter in 2022, and one of them is already on our roster--Dwayne Haskins.  He's not shown anything with us this past year, so he should be relatively easy to re-sign.  The other two, who are better options, IMO, are Mitchell Trubisky and Marcus Mariota. 

Signing Jimmy G makes zero sense--he's not at all mobile, and doesn't fit Tomlin's apparent desired 'type' of QB.  And no Haskins doesn't either, but he's $20+ Million cheaper, and 6 years younger with potential upside.  And we cannot afford Russell Wilson, were he be an option for us, and he's 33, so likely, no more than 4-5 good years left in him; I just think the sacrifice of our ability to re-sign some of our players, thus, means using picks to replace these, when we already have enough needs as it is. 

Signing a Marcus Mariota or Mitchell Trubisky on a 2-year deal is likely the smart play, and then draft one of the mobile QBs in this draft.  There may be no year-one starters in the bunch, but the 'bunch' that's available, fit the mold of what Tomlin wants at QB, be it Ridder, Malik, Corral, or Howell (Pickett won't be available, and not sure he's the right choice, anyway...). One of these 4 will be available to us at 20, or better yet, attempt to trade down, and grab the last guy at the end of the 1st/start of the 2nd...I kinda like Ridder or Corral.  Ridder's arm is right there with Willis, going by the 'Zebra-Technologies' numbers from the Senior Bowl, and Sam Howell isn't too far behind either. (I can't seem to upload a photo...sorry, but suffice to say that Ridder is just a hair below Malik Willis).

Overall point being, if Tomlin is set on our next QB of the future being a mobile QB, then having a Mariota or Trubisky start this season, allowing for one of the raw rookies develop, and thus, giving our 2nd-year QB in 2023, a legit chance to compete/supplant Mariota or Trubisky, the following season, if able, seems to make a lot of sense to me.  

Additionally, our OL needs to have some consistency with QB types, since blocking for a mobile QB most assuredly requires a different skillset than what they have been used to. So having them concentrate on one type, and then, having to switch mid-season, with due to poor QB play, or an injury could very well affect the rookie QB's opportunity for success.

i actually wouldn't hate tr00bs either so i can back this