The Steelers QB Conundrum

43M

43 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Mike Tomlin says " hold my beer"

Justin Fields was a more polished product from a bigger school, and he looked pretty bad this year.   He needs to stop acting like he missed out on Patrick Mahomes.

Our drafts under Tomlin often remind me of the Raiders drafts late in the Al Davis years....obsessed primarily with athletic prowess over football ability.    His now seeming obsession with mobile QBs could very well hold this team back for a long time if he is dumb enough to prioritize a QBs ability to run than their ability to pass.

Watch him be dumb enough to trade away a future first round pick or more.

On the plus side, if he traded up for Willis and it didnt work out, that would probably spell the end of the Tomlin era. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Mike Tomlin says " hold my beer"

That's a disappointing quote, if true, from Tomlin. I would have been fine with trading up for Fields. He was a much better prospect than Willis. I'll just add one more reason to the correct list provided by @43M Fields was NFL sized. Willis doesn't even have prototype size. Small school, small body, bad accuracy, those are a lot of red flags. I don't hate Willis, but he's really risky. 

::EDIT:: The quote provided in the original post by  @jebrick Not the hold my beer quote lol

18 hours ago, 43M said:

Or maybe youre just overrating what Rudolph actually brings to the table.

Perhaps. I am not saying Rudolph is going to be the next great Steelers QB. However, and I not writing him off as complete trash either.

I think we're largely in agreement about the Steelers approach to 2022. Our difference seems to be about our opinion of how Rudolph will perform. I hope he does well, but if he gets beat out by some other guy(s), then so be it.

• Like 1

Gutsy, mobile, accurate, good decision-maker, leader... That's the characteristics of a good quarterback.

Not strong arm gunslinger that leads the league in picks. Not strong armed statue. Not small school dynamo. Not the farmer's daughter.

Gimme Drew Brees ten times out of ten. Brock Purdy equals Drew Brees. Ever heard of him? 

This isn't about big Willie gun-slinging walking into a room spraying a bunch of chicks. This is about protecting the egg. Controlling it. Catering to it. Loving it. Moving it. Gently. As you traverse about the globe cooly, calmly, quietly, on the quest of dominating the sport.

Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Drew Brees find themselves in one box.

Dan Marino, Brett Favre, Joe Namath find themselves in another box. 

Would you rather win or look pretty?

Malik Willis is the Josh Allen from this draft class. Accuracy & anticipation can be fixed. He has elite tools. You have him complete with Haskins and Rudolph. If Willis loses, he becomes the backup and the other loser is traded it cut. Josh Dobbs becomes QB 3.

8 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Malik Willis is the Josh Allen from this draft class. Accuracy & anticipation can be fixed. He has elite tools. You have him complete with Haskins and Rudolph. If Willis loses, he becomes the backup and the other loser is traded it cut. Josh Dobbs becomes QB 3.

I think that's a very VERY generous comparison.  Josh Allen has prototypical NFL QB size.  Willis is below average.   That doesn't mean he cant have success, but fixing some of his issues will be more difficult with that size disadvantage.     

He has elite athleticism and arm strength, but its hard to ignore his size and the level of competition he played at when considering him as a first round pick.   If he was an elite passer at that level, it would be different, but he really wasnt.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

I think that's a very VERY generous comparison.  Josh Allen has prototypical NFL QB size.  Willis is below average.   That doesn't mean he cant have success, but fixing some of his issues will be more difficult with that size disadvantage.     

He has elite athleticism and arm strength, but its hard to ignore his size and the level of competition he played at when considering him as a first round pick.   If he was an elite passer at that level, it would be different, but he really wasnt.

Which is why 2nd round would be appropriate.

• Like 2

Which is why 2nd round would be appropriate.

I would be much more on board with that, but someone will take a shot on his potential early just like the 49ers did with Trey Lance.    I just hope it isnt us.

I initially thought the best landing spot for Willis was the Saints.....then Peyton retired.  

Now, I think the Titans would be a good spot.   He doesnt have to play right away, and the Titans are well rounded enough to take a risk like that.   

48 minutes ago, 43M said:

I would be much more on board with that, but someone will take a shot on his potential early just like the 49ers did with Trey Lance.    I just hope it isnt us.

I initially thought the best landing spot for Willis was the Saints.....then Peyton retired.  

Now, I think the Titans would be a good spot.   He doesnt have to play right away, and the Titans are well rounded enough to take a risk like that.   

At least Trey Lance is QB sized. 

• Like 1

I think the easiest QB to take and sit a year for us is Desmond Ridder. Prototype size, great arm, great athleticism, great touch. His flaws are correctable with proper coaching. I’d be most comfortable in drafting him over the other QBs. Every QB prospect needs a ton of time/has huge flaws, at least Ridder has the chance to be a Rodgers/Mahomes type. 

Ridder's peek will be Byron Leftwich.  You are seeing him AFTER they have corrected his mechanical issues.  They long windup will get him killed.  If they pick him up in the 3rd I might live with it but why bother?  Why get another developmental QB when you could just build the overall team strength.

• Like 1

Ridder's peek will be Byron Leftwich.  You are seeing him AFTER they have corrected his mechanical issues.  They long windup will get him killed.  If they pick him up in the 3rd I might live with it but why bother?  Why get another developmental QB when you could just build the overall team strength.

What's the difference between Desmond Ridder and Josh Dobbs? Same size, same type of athleticism, accuracy is damn near the same, Dobbs is older now but same prospect.