The Steelers QB Conundrum

43M

59 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Please...no one suggest trading for Carson Wentz. He played behind one of the best OL in the NFL and still stunk it up at QB. He was overdrafts and hasn't developed. 

Its pretty telling that the Colts are preparing to dump him despite having no surefire option to replace him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 43M said:

Its pretty telling that the Colts are preparing to dump him despite having no surefire option to replace him.

and after just trading a 1st rd pick for him. He also looks like a locker room cancer. I wouldn't mind him being brought in as a cheap 1 yr FA, but not in a trade.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

and after just trading a 1st rd pick for him. He also looks like a locker room cancer. I wouldn't mind him being brought in as a cheap 1 yr FA, but not in a trade.

Trading a first round pick for him was laughably stupid to begin with.   Now they trade him after one year.

Someone there should be fired.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, August4th said:

Why? What upside are you hoping for? Wentz is no better than some of these incoming rookie QBs.

• Like 1

Honestly, if we are going to grab a Vet at QB, then no trades, and please, go after someone who might surprise/develop, and is better than Landry Jones-errr, umm, I meant to say Mason Rudolph (honestly...is there really much difference in 'impact' between those 2??)...

But back to my point--there are only 3 QBs that I'd be interested in the Steelers acquiring as a potential starter in 2022, and one of them is already on our roster--Dwayne Haskins.  He's not shown anything with us this past year, so he should be relatively easy to re-sign.  The other two, who are better options, IMO, are Mitchell Trubisky and Marcus Mariota. 

Signing Jimmy G makes zero sense--he's not at all mobile, and doesn't fit Tomlin's apparent desired 'type' of QB.  And no Haskins doesn't either, but he's $20+ Million cheaper, and 6 years younger with potential upside.  And we cannot afford Russell Wilson, were he be an option for us, and he's 33, so likely, no more than 4-5 good years left in him; I just think the sacrifice of our ability to re-sign some of our players, thus, means using picks to replace these, when we already have enough needs as it is. 

Signing a Marcus Mariota or Mitchell Trubisky on a 2-year deal is likely the smart play, and then draft one of the mobile QBs in this draft.  There may be no year-one starters in the bunch, but the 'bunch' that's available, fit the mold of what Tomlin wants at QB, be it Ridder, Malik, Corral, or Howell (Pickett won't be available, and not sure he's the right choice, anyway...). One of these 4 will be available to us at 20, or better yet, attempt to trade down, and grab the last guy at the end of the 1st/start of the 2nd...I kinda like Ridder or Corral.  Ridder's arm is right there with Willis, going by the 'Zebra-Technologies' numbers from the Senior Bowl, and Sam Howell isn't too far behind either. (I can't seem to upload a photo...sorry, but suffice to say that Ridder is just a hair below Malik Willis).

Overall point being, if Tomlin is set on our next QB of the future being a mobile QB, then having a Mariota or Trubisky start this season, allowing for one of the raw rookies develop, and thus, giving our 2nd-year QB in 2023, a legit chance to compete/supplant Mariota or Trubisky, the following season, if able, seems to make a lot of sense to me.  

Additionally, our OL needs to have some consistency with QB types, since blocking for a mobile QB most assuredly requires a different skillset than what they have been used to. So having them concentrate on one type, and then, having to switch mid-season, with due to poor QB play, or an injury could very well affect the rookie QB's opportunity for success.

20 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Why? What upside are you hoping for? Wentz is no better than some of these incoming rookie QBs.

I mean, if Wentz were cut, Id much rather sign him to a cheap deal than spend a high pick on one of these rookies.

Not that Wentz is better than them, but its the opportunity costs you have to look at.    Wentz (or any cheap vet FA) is a short term, low cost investment....whereas with a highly drafted rookie, youre spending a premium pick and usually giving them at least 3 years to develop.    

Obviously, we all have varying views on the rookie QBs and what they are worth, but from my standpoint, there is no one worth that high of an investment in this draft, which is why myself (and others) are more keen on signing a cheap free agent in 2022 and focusing on building the rest of the team up for our next potential franchise QB.

• Like 2

While I’d rather just stick with Rudolph for this year and upgrade the rest of the team...signing a Mariota/Trubisky to a 2 year deal( basically a 1 year deal with a fully non guaranteed 2nd year making them easily cuttable)...something like 2/16 with $5 mill this year guaranteed but all $11 mill in 2023 basically fluff) wouldn’t be terrible.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AFF said:

While I’d rather just stick with Rudolph for this year and upgrade the rest of the team...signing a Mariota/Trubisky to a 2 year deal( basically a 1 year deal with a fully non guaranteed 2nd year making them easily cuttable)...something like 2/16 with $5 mill this year guaranteed but all $11 mill in 2023 basically fluff) wouldn’t be terrible.

Not really on board with sticking with Rudolph, but agree, obviously, with signing Mariota or Trubisky for a couple of years, and either grab one of the top-4 mobile QB prospects (in no particular order--Willis, Ridder, Howell, Corral), or wait until a better option is available in 2023. And while unlikely, it's possible that Mariota or Trubisky thrive in our system; it wouldn't be the first time that a QB drafted in the first couple of rounds, fail in one system, yet settles in, in another. I just do not see how either of these two would be a worse option than Rudolph this year...

As someone who’s tracked lesser-known prospects for 15+ years now, one thing I can tell you is not many draft analysts follow the lesser FBS conference teams, let alone FCS football and beyond. The “discovery” of a bunch of “unknown” prospects in the all-star games is an annual ritual where I feel like everyone is catching on to prospects I’ve had on a watchlist for months or even years. Just in the past week and a half, I have discussed FCS prospects with NFL names you would know, who admitted they had never seen a single play in game action from the player in question.

https://nflsapient.com/2022/02/15/nfl-draft-sleeper-small-school-prospects-qb-cole-kelley/

31 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I admittedly don’t know much about the QB prospects yet but this video peaked my interest on Ridder. Probably not in the 1st but would love if he fell to our 2nd. I think I prefer him to Willis. 

Ridder is similar to Josh Dobbs. He's a good athlete and a solid QB prospect but he has accuracy issues which I think are more related to his feet.