The Steelers QB Conundrum

43M

So....its the 2022 offseason and we find ourselves in a position that...well....we pretty much all expected to be in.     I don't think any realistic Steeler fan expected Ben to do much in 2021, and all this season really accomplished was setting us back a year in terms of our search for a new long term QB.    I'm not going to take this time to rag on Ben or the decision to keep him around another year because we've done that enough.     Instead, I want to take this opportunity to look forward at every conceivable option we have for the future of the QB position on our team.

There is alot of division among Steeler fans about which route to take.     Some want to trade for a big name like Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson.     Some want to target a rookie early in the draft.   Some want to look for a moderately priced stop gap while the team rebuilds.   Hell....some even seem comfortable with Mason Rudolph potentially starting a year.      Whatever your preference, its time to explore the facts about each option, including the potential pros and cons of each, and what the chances are of each happening.

I could just do an entire write up myself of every QB that could be an option for us....but Im a lazy bastard these days, and Id also like to see what others think.   So here is what I would like to do.....

I will do a write up of a few QBs, the pros and cons of bringing them in, the chances of it happening, etc....and another poster can do their own write up on another QB or 2 (or more) and we can get some unique perspectives.       You can still obviously comment and discuss write ups done for other QBs, but Id like to try, over the next month or 2, to cover as many QBs as possible.

First, I'll start off with an incomplete list of potential options for us.       I will add more names as they are suggested or write ups are done for them....

Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson
DeShaun Watson
Mason Rudolph
Dwayne Haskins
Josh Dobbs
Jimmy Garropolo
Carson Wentz
Jameis Winston
Jacoby Brissett
Teddy Bridgewater
Marcus Mariota

Gardner Minshew
Tyrod Taylor
Cam Newton
Mitch Trubisky
Mike Glennon
Andy Dalton
Malik Willis
Kenny Pickett
Desmond Ridder
Carson Strong
Matt Corral

Obviously, there are other names that could be added, but these are likely the most feasible for potential starters next year (some much more feasible than others).   Feel free to add other names and I will add them here as well.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 2

UI23F1CAr719_UI23F1CAr719_koIE5WwvdyI1_o

Aaron Rodgers

Aaron Rodgers is a guy that many Steeler fans have likely fantasized about being on the team for many a year.    He has been one of the best QBs in the NFL for over a decade and one of the most prolific passers in the NFL history.       Now, with Ben retired and the Packers likely looking to move on from Rodgers due to internal issues and other stuff…there is a chance it could happen….

However, the question is….would it be worth it?   

Pros:    Rodgers may be getting up there in age, but he is still playing at an MVP caliber level….at least in the regular season.   He is still an amazing passer with a strong arm who would instantly improve most teams situation at QB in a dramatic way…including the Steelers.       He also seems to have a good rapport with Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, which could POTENTIALLY give them an edge in acquiring him.     Rodgers would open up the offense a good bit, and merely by his presence and pocket ability, help the OLine, the running game AND the wide receivers.     He seems to have a good relationship with most of his teammates, and has proven he doesn’t NECESSARILY need top WR talent to be successful.

Cons:     Despite the fact that he is still playing at a high level, you still cannot ignore that Rodgers will be 39 this year, which some Steeler fans seem content on doing.    If Tom Brady hadn’t played at a high level into his mid 40s, I don’t think any Steeler fans would even consider this.     Its not merely just bringing him in which is the issue….its the fact that the cost to acquire this soon-to-be 39 year old QB after the bidding war with another team or 2 will be POTENTIALLY two first round picks.    Beyond that, you have to ask if this team is really in position with be a serious contender even with Rodgers.   He would be leaving a better team in Green Bay to come to Pittsburgh, and if we traded two first round picks and took on Rodgers cap number, it seriously hinders this team from improving in much needed areas.   The OLine needs a lot of help, and we would likely have to settle for mid ranged pieces in FA.    Now, you could argue that the OLine could still be addressed properly between the draft and FA even with the Rodgers trade….but what about everything else?     How is Rodgers going to respond with the laughable inconsistency of our WR’s?    What about our defensive line (especially if Tuitt is gone) and secondary being among the absolute worst in the league?      And what is stopping Rodgers from retiring a year after a team trades for him?   Potentially two 1st rounders for a one year rental of a 39 year old QB who hasn’t had much more postseason success over the last decade than Big Ben?    

Bottom Line:     If this were the team from 2019 after Ben hurt his elbow, and Ben decided to retire…I’d be all over this if the option had been there.   Rodgers would be a few years younger, and this Steeler team would be in a far better place to support him for a couple years.     As of right now, I don’t like this option at all.  Steeler fans are enamored with the big name….not the actual reality of what bringing him in actually means for this team….both short and long term.         Would I be absolutely livid if it happened….no.   Well, at least not immediately….but I also wouldn’t be nearly as optimistic as some Steeler fans would be.     It would be kind of cool to see, but when you factor in everything about both Rodgers and the current makeup of the Steelers….its not an option I can get behind.    Fortunately…for me anyway, it’s very very very unlikely that it happens

Chances of being the Steelers QB next season:    2/10

• Like 2

sen-z-BrownsGarrett.jpg

Mason Rudolph

Mason Rudolph…I’m not going to spend much time dissecting him, because lets face it….we know what we are getting.     He has a relatively weak arm for most NFL QBs and struggles reading defenses.      He is obviously a career NFL backup…an average one at that….but some seem to think he could/should get the Steelers starting spot in 2022.   I don’t see it, but its still an option…I guess….

Pros:    I cant honestly think of many PROS in regards to his play on the field.   As bad as Ben was at times, Mason was never a better option.      The “best” part of Rudolph is the only reason he may have been a better option in 2021….because he likely would help us secure a higher pick for a better QB in the future, and would keep our costs down and allow us to sign an extra decent player.   

Cons:     Having to watch Rudolph all or even most of the season would likely kill me.     The dude is infuriating.    He isn’t the absolutely worst QB, but he is just so painfully mediocre in every single way and has ZERO upside.     If we are going to tank, Id honestly rather it be with someone like Haskins.   At the very least, there MAY be some untapped potential there.   With Rudolph…we already know what we have, and its not getting any better.

Bottom Line:     I cant see him being a real option.     Tomlin’s seat is likely going to get warmer if this team has a bad 2022, and I don’t think he can risk even taking a chance on Rudolph for a year.    Again, if he had some upside, that would different because you would at least be seeing what you have in a young QB.   But there is nothing to learn about Rudolph, so there is no reason to start him unless you are intentionally tanking.

Chances of being the Steelers QB next season:    2/10 as a starter.   9/10 chances of remaining a backup for us.

• Like 2

r908317_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Jameis Winston

Jameis Winston is essentially poor mans version of a younger Big Ben.   You can take that however you want, but the fact is, he is just kinda…okay.   I think he could be a decent stop gap for a year or maybe 2….but he likely isn’t going to take us any further than we have gone in the last decade.   I think he could be a definite upgrade over the last few years of Ben….but he will have games where he is equally, if not more frustrating.

Pros:    Jameis has a pretty good arm and isn’t afraid to sling it.    While this can be both good and bad,  it would be a welcome changed from the last 3 years of weak armed, limpdick QBs.     Jameis has occasional flashes of greatness and could be a decent transitional QB, especially if our running game improved.       He is okay in the pocket and is better at reading defenses than Rudolph.     And he could potentially come fairly cheap.   

Cons:     With our OLine, I don’t trust him.   You start to rattle him, he starts making dumber mistakes than even Ben was prone to at his worst.    Do we want to assume our OLine will be improved enough to prevent that?    I don’t.   He isn’t mobile either, which I know Tomlin and Rooney will likely be looking for.   He doesn’t move terribly, but he is definitely a pocket QB.     And there is a very good chance he keeps us in that “Spinning Tires” phase, because while he is better than 2020 and 2021 Ben, he isnt good enough to really put this team over the top.

Bottom Line:     He isnt as far fetched as some, but he probably wont be an extremely likely candidate because he isnt a mobile guy.      I think he would be a better option if this team had a better team around him…at least for a year or two.      Again, he would still be an improvement, but would likely keep us in the same 7 to 10 win caliber and early playoff exit range that we have been stuck in for years.

Chances of being the Steelers QB next season:    4/10…would be higher if he was more mobile.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Tomlin and Colbert have met with Willis AND his parents.

Im sure several teams will....including teams picking in the top 10 and 15.

If he falls, he is obviously going to be considered....but Im not happy about it.   Not even so much because I dont think he can be good, but because I feel like they are looking at him primarily for his mobility and arm strength.     Both obviously coveted qualities, but I think that might blind them to other aspects of his game and the reality that this team isnt a great position to develop such a raw prospect.

Ill let someone else do a write up for Malik Willis though, since several people know him better than I do.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 43M said:

Im sure several teams will....including teams picking in the top 10 and 15.

If he falls, he is obviously going to be considered....but Im not happy about it.   Not even so much because I dont think he can be good, but because I feel like they are looking at him primarily for his mobility and arm strength.     Both obviously coveted qualities, but I think that might blind them to other aspects of his game and the reality that this team isnt a great position to develop such a raw prospect.

Ill let someone else do a write up for Malik Willis though, since several people know him better than I do.

Point is that Tomlin and Colbert meeting with a draftie generally signals the Steeler's focus.  I would put him on top of the list ( even though I think he is abad 1st round pick).

• Like 1

after watching Jimmy this season, I hope they sign a vet over trading anything of value for him. I don't think he's much better than a bridwater, winston, Brisset etc.. who we won't have to trade anything to get.  interested in seeing what Mitch can do away from Matt Nagy. I think he could beat out Mason in competition. Gardner Minshew is another guy to keep a eye on.

• Like 3

I have had a laugh at the talking heads.  On one hand they say how SF is scared to have Jimmy G pass the ball in any critical situation.  On the other hand they think teams like the Steelers should trade for him.  I think everyone sees that he has zero upside as a starter, why would anyone accept a $25M contract and give up a draft pick for him.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

I have had a laugh at the talking heads.  On one hand they say how SF is scared to have Jimmy G pass the ball in any critical situation.  On the other hand they think teams like the Steelers should trade for him.  I think everyone sees that he has zero upside as a starter, why would anyone accept a $25M contract and give up a draft pick for him.

he looked extremely blah playing for shannny in that offense, so imagine what he'll look like playing in ours lol

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think many think that wherever Jimmy G is traded, he would likely sign a one or two year extension and lower his cap hit for year one, and then make it easy to move on in coming years. 

In that case, I wouldnt be completely opposed giving up a 4th for him....but I agree he doesnt have a ton to offer.   He is certainly better than Rudolph, but he isnt worth investing much into.

19 minutes ago, August4th said:

after watching Jimmy this season, I hope they sign a vet over trading anything of value for him. I don't think he's much better than a bridwater, winston, Brisset etc.. who we won't have to trade anything to get.  interested in seeing what Mitch can do away from Matt Nagy. I think he could beat out Mason in competition. Gardner Minshew is another guy to keep a eye on.

Bridgewater is made of glass.      I wouldnt go near him.

I would take JG over Winton, but they both have their pros and cons.

Brisset I like.

Good call on Minshew.

malik-willis.jpg

Malik Willis

Malik Willis is a paradox wrapped in a puzzle to evaluate.  He is a classic boom/bust draft pick.  High Ceiling and low floor.  A 2 year starter at Liberty after transferring from Auburn. The Liberty offense is tailored to his strengths but like any spread offense, also shows all his weaknesses.  Need much more time at QB to learn.  Should be in a RPO heavy offense.  Liberty's offense did not help in judging his NFL ability.  He really needs a year to learn and develop.  I have him as a mid-2nd rounder.

Pros: The most physically gifted QB of the class.  Strongest arm in the class bar none.  Shows the ability to follow his progressions so not a first read system QB. Amazing ability to fire the ball when he is on the move.  Has shown that he can make throws from multiple angles if needed.  He is very like L. Jackson when he rolls out or chooses to run.  Very quick twitch in his lower body.  Big hands that will have no problem holding on to the ball even in pump fakes.

Cons:  This will be a long section as he is a developmental QB. He is more of a thrower than a passer at this point.  Accuracy is hit and miss.  He needs more time to learn how to read defenses.  If flushed he tends to tuck and run first rather than keep his eyes downfield.   Always has eyes for the big play and it burns him more often than not. With his arm he can make some amazing throws but does not have the lower platform in sync to be accurate all the time.   Needs to learn some touch with that cannon he has strapped to his body.  Need a year to work on mechanics of his lower body to improve accuracy. 

Chances of being the Steelers QB next season: 4/10

Chances of being "a" Steelers QB next season: 8/10 - Based on Tomlin/Colbert meetings with him

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 3