The Steelers QB Conundrum

43M

22 hours ago, 43M said:

They are guaranteed to be on the roster and competing for a spot, but I dont think either will be seriously considered as the potential starter.

Honestly, I don't get the hate for Rudolph. He has flashed a little bit, and he has sucked a little bit. Much like any other young QB in the league. Rudolph's always been in Ben's shadow, so I do not think we have a clear idea what he will do as QB1 for an entire season. I'm sure people will harp on 2019, but then ignore the goodness that was there.

When the Steelers decided to bring Ben back in 2021, they gave Rudolph an extension. They brought in Haskins as a reclamation project, without any real plans for competition at #2. However, that changes with Ben out of the picture. As of right now, those two QBs are the candidates to start in 2022 (assuming they actually tender Haskins).

Now then, a lot can change in the next 7 months or so before training camp. They can bring in more FAs, then can draft a guy, they can trade for a guy. We don't know. Frankly, I don't think the Steelers know at this point. I just do not understand how anyone can unequivocally state and/or believe that the Steelers will not start Rudolph game 1 for the 2022-2023 season. It is clearly a distinct possibility. It's a possibility, somewhat smaller, that Haskins beats out Rudolph for the job. 

Folks need to start wrapping their heads around these possibilities.

1 hour ago, AFF said:

tank GIF

This is hilariously a perfect representation of Haskins in gif form. A well built destroying machine that can very easily be rendered useless by the brain power inside it. 

16 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

I just do not understand how anyone can unequivocally state and/or believe that the Steelers will not start Rudolph game 1 for the 2022-2023 season

It's absolutely a possibility, I am not sure anyone denies that. I think others, like myself, are just comfortable knowing what that play looks like....and it's not good. 

Ben wasn't going to lead you anywhere nor were you going to tell him to leave.

Trading for ANY quarterback is insane. Drafting a quarterback in the first round is also insane. You simply aren't good enough nor close enough for it to get you over the hump. Not too mention none of these QBs are more than serviceable backups.

Sticking with Rudolph is an upgrade over Ben. But he's not any good. You know what you're getting. There's no upside. It's like a blanket in the Arctic. It doesn't do me any good. 

Trading Rudolph is the logical decision once you get a nominal upgrade for FREE. It brings back compensation and allows you to create a more viable competition that might lead to results. 

Which leads me to the stop gap. You need to know what you have in Dwayne Haskins. It's one of the most important decisions going forward. Is this a diamond in the rough? That I got for free. Or just more trash. It would be wise, once you move on from Rudolph, to make this a competition. Marcus Mariota with a defense and not being asked to carry the load can lead the team for a season. Or more. The Mariota/Haskins competition is not promising to win a Super Bowl, but it is a cost effective solution that provides answers on where we are and leads you to where you must go.

You need to draft a quarterback in one of the worst quarterback classes of all time. Otherwise, what are you even doing? The risky QBs are the only ones that might be starters in the NFL. Problem is - you fall flat on your face. You are draining the primes of your established pieces. As you might to come back from such a defeat. I see too much risk. One guy described as a poor man's Baker Mayfield. Well, he's not any good either. 

The cost-effective solution is to draft BROCK PURDY. 

Brock Purdy would arguably be our best quarterback on the roster. Certainly not the best talent. His arm's weak and he's not tall either. Yet, Brock Purdy can become a quarterback that can be developed as a 1/2. That's good value for day three.

I would bring back Josh Dobbs to create a competition for QB3 with Brock Purdy. Make him earn it. Dobbs is a guy that's started before.

At the conclusion of year one post-Ben, I think you answer that neither Haskins nor Mariota is the QB of the future. Brock Purdy develops into the backup, Dobbs becomes the QB3, and you draft a QB in the first round in 2023. That's the best scenario and I challenge you to come up with a better long-term solution for the franchise as a whole.

The QB should be the last piece to the puzzle because he gets paid the most. And once he gets paid, the window closes fast.

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

It's absolutely a possibility, I am not sure anyone denies that. I think others, like myself, are just comfortable knowing what that play looks like....and it's not good. 

We'll see. He can't be worse than Ben was at times this past season. Haskins maybe can be worse, but not Rudolph, IMO.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I have no hate for either.  I just do not think either is a franchise QB.  Rudolph is a top level backup and and Haskins has yet to prove he can play in the NFL. 

I sure wish we knew for sure about Rudolph with 2021 in the rear view mirror. 

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

If we call them Hakdolph and say that Hakdolph should start the season and the Steelers draft a QB in 2023, would that be better?

This line of thinking is good, but I see Rudolph as juice that can be extracted and turned into another asset. The Myles Garrett scene is very disappointing. And cannot be overcome. A change of scenery would be best for all parties.

At the very least, turn Rudolph into another, maybe better, Rudolph. 

At no cost of capital. That way you can address your needs with the limited resources you have while still looking to finding a QB of the future.

31 minutes ago, August4th said:

NFL scout twitter thinks the steelers are all over willis.

Willis is the only QB with rarified air type capabilities. The only problem is 19 teams ahead of you, and, still, the potential of great failure to fall on your face and set the franchise back.

Considering, how many holes you have, that is not a risk I'm willing to take for a QB with a lower floor than LaMar Jackson.

I'll play for the Big Ben clone from Kentucky in 2023. Fix everything now. Quite frankly, you have gaping holes everywhere. The ship is sinking. And you gotta plug 'em up fast, bc you got more holes coming your way. 

That's why QB now is insane.

21 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

We'll see. He can't be worse than Ben was at times this past season. Haskins maybe can be worse, but not Rudolph, IMO.

I would roll with Haskins purely for the talent. He has loads more than Rudolph, but it doesn't matter if you cant use it. We have seen Rudolph though, and personally, I dont even see capable back up. You can do a lot better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjfollett said:

Honestly, I don't get the hate for Rudolph. He has flashed a little bit, and he has sucked a little bit. Much like any other young QB in the league. Rudolph's always been in Ben's shadow, so I do not think we have a clear idea what he will do as QB1 for an entire season. I'm sure people will harp on 2019, but then ignore the goodness that was there.

What exactly has Rudolph flashed?   What "goodness"?  

Im being completely serious.

He can throw an occasional nice pass to a largely wide open WR.

Thats about all I got 

When the Steelers decided to bring Ben back in 2021, they gave Rudolph an extension. They brought in Haskins as a reclamation project, without any real plans for competition at #2.

Rudolph knew the playbook and we had no money or plans on bringing in another QB.   Rudolph was the default option.

However, that changes with Ben out of the picture. As of right now, those two QBs are the candidates to start in 2022 (assuming they actually tender Haskins).

They are the only QBs on the roster right now.

That does not necessarily they are considered serious candidates to start.

Now then, a lot can change in the next 7 months or so before training camp. They can bring in more FAs, then can draft a guy, they can trade for a guy. We don't know. Frankly, I don't think the Steelers know at this point.

They know.

They may not know WHO exactly, but they know they arent content with what they have now.

I just do not understand how anyone can unequivocally state and/or believe that the Steelers will not start Rudolph game 1 for the 2022-2023 season. It is clearly a distinct possibility. It's a possibility, somewhat smaller, that Haskins beats out Rudolph for the job. 

Folks need to start wrapping their heads around these possibilities.

I never said it wasnt possible.

I said that there is no chance in hell they are comfortable with Rudolph or Haskins.