The Steelers QB Conundrum

43M

I am on the stopgap train. I kind of like the idea of signing Marcus Mariota to a 1 or 2 year deal. Probably wont break the bank, he is safe with the ball (too safe) but has good mobility to be able to run Matt Canada's offence. I know Canada has been raked over the coals by Steelers fans (myself included) but it would be interesting to see what his offence looks like with a QB that can move. I'm also warming up to the idea of Mitch Trubisky but he is more of a boom or bust kind of guy... although it probably did him wonders getting out of Chicago.

It seems all of QB in this draft are big projects or don't have high ceilings. If the long term answer isn't in this years draft then who are the big QB prospects in the 2023 draft? It might indicate what direction the team goes in also. 

On a scale of 1 - 10, from the list provided in the OP, here is who I think is on the Steelers roster, as well as who is the Steelers starting QB in 2022:

0 - Never say never, but in these cases I say never.
Cam Newton
Andy Dalton
Carson Wentz
Gardner Minshew
Mike Glennon

1 - Highly doubtful due to cost and/or fit. If acquired, will be the starter.
Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson
Jimmy Garropolo
DeShaun Watson

3 - Possible draft candidate, but will not start.
Malik Willis
Kenny Pickett
Desmond Ridder
Matt Corral
Carson Strong
Sam Howell (not on original list?)

4 - Possible re-sign as backup.
Josh Dobbs

5 - Possible UFA to compete for the starter position.
Jameis Winston
Jacoby Brissett
Teddy Bridgewater
Marcus Mariota
Tyrod Taylor
Mitch Trubisky

10 - Will be on the roster and will compete for starter position.
Mason Rudolph
Dwayne Haskins

5 hours ago, cjfollett said:

10 - Will be on the roster and will compete for starter position.
Mason Rudolph
Dwayne Haskins

They are guaranteed to be on the roster and competing for a spot, but I dont think either will be seriously considered as the potential starter.

I honestly wouldnt be entirely shocked to see us both draft a rookie AND sign a vet....and Rudolph and Haskins will compete for the last spot.

Someone like Trubisky is a boom/bust win/win situation.  He can either be the next Tannehill or blow it.  If he blows it we draft higher in a better QB class.  

I just prefer they don’t use a round one pick on a QB this year.  If someone falls to the 2nd I guess you have to take a chance, but let reload in the trenches.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Sounds like Willis was awesome day two. And Pickett has impressed with his mobility. 

The more I watch of them now in the off-season and after watching the playoffs in my "what I learned in the playoffs" part - These are the only two quarterbacks I am in on this off-season as additions. That's it. That's the whole list. 

I, personally, don't understand the bridge QB thing. So sign a QB you know you don't want so you can focus resources on your team...but you will be spending $8M-$10M of those resources in order to get the QB you don't see a future with? Don't get it. I would spend for Aaron, if he WANTED to come here and gave a commitment to 2 year at least, but it's super unlikely. Wilson can't become the next Jay-Z and Beyonce with Ciara in the Pittsburgh market. So, for me, its draft or Mason and Haskins. 

Pickett has that "it" factor that can't be measured. Turn on his games and you can only find him making plays. His off-script stuff is superb, and if anyone watched the NFL playoffs this year it's become mandatory. I don't know how good of a QB he would end up being, but I do fully believe he would keep his team in every game, never back down, and make more than enough plays to win games. I watched his losses back, and I was really impressed. He is a gamer and the Burrow comp is legit. Does he prove to be able to turn into a next level processor like Joe to make up for the average/above arm? No clue. But you are never out on a 3rd and 8 -- and that's what I look for in QBs. Dude's instincts for the position are off the charts. 

Willis is just so toolsy. He also has that insane Josh Allen accuracy boost when he is on the move. I don't understand how that's possible, but they start throwing absolute darts off script. I was also very surprised when I watched some of his games, but he keeps his focus downfield looking to throw far more than I had thought he would. His floor, IMO is Hurts -- who played on the #1 rushing team in the league. But his physical ceiling is Josh Allen-esque. The question will can he translate to much higher competition AND improve? I have no clue, but him working out raises your team far higher than any other position ever could. Draft an immediate 10 year All-Pro LT? Wouldn't even touch the ability to raise the entire team up like the QB position would. 

Willis has the physical tools to not just be the best QB in the draft, but the best overall player available and you might be able to get that mid-to late in the first. There is no position worth a swing like QB. If he got there, and I think his floor is one of the best rushing attacks in the league and his ceiling is the Mahomes/Allen level I sprint to the podium.

It's always going to be a gamble. The first round of QB's has about a 40% hit rate, and that includes counting people like Jamies Winston as "hits". But I think either Pickett or Willis raise the overall talent of the team they would be on. Whether they work out or not is on coaching/situation....but I would buy into either of them. My caveat is that I probably would't go far out of my way to get either of them. I'm not trading 2 firsts + to go get them, but I would absolutely take either at 20, and I would probably make a small concession to move into the teens for Willis. 

I get the flaws and if people are not excited about them, but IMO -- if you are watching the playoffs, you KNOW you need special. I think both of these guys have that special ability (for different reasons) and would be worth going down swinging with. I don't see that in anyone else. 

No thank you to Kelley, at least no where before the 6th round. I don't see his competition level translating. He, funny enough, reminds me a lot of Mason because I bet he would look awesome on Saturdays playing 7 on 7 in shorts. Watched a few of his games and his arm is nice, accuracy is decent -- but he is often working with very clean pockets, wide open windows, and on script. But once that broke down, it was pretty consistent that he broke down with it. 

I like to watch loses for QBs. JMU was the best talent he faced and they smoked him. They got to him early with the rush, and he broke down shortly after. If JMU has you rattled, what would Myles Garrett do to you? He may be able to move, but he was a statue in the pocket and didn't naturally feel pressure. Had one to his open side he just missed and took a pop and fumbled because of it. 

Here is the starting DL for Nicholls state:
- 6'2, 280
- 6'3, 245
- 6'2, 260
- 6'2, 275

His game against LA Tech is a lot of the same as JMU. Early pressure really got to him and he made simple mistakes following. He looks good when things are on schedule, which most of his offense is. His interceptions (and the near interception) against Tech were very "I look at A, then I look at B" which got him in trouble rather than reading and reacting. His movements also look very calculated and he and Mason look very similar in the pocket as they don't feel whats happening around them and kind of ignore it while going about their business. Occasionally they break out and look fine, but 6'7 is hard to get moving, quickly and laterally. 

I don't think he survives in the NFL, because I don't think he would have survived continuing to play at Arkansas. Looks like a JV superstar. I do think he could be an interesting camp arm to keep around, but I don't expect much else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

I think this forum is in agreement that it should be Rudolph this year and then draft a guy in the first round next year.

Based on what, exactly?

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

But Haskins is a 3rd stinger!

Rudolph is a 3rd stringer too.   

You are clearly tanking either way.   Id rather tank with the guy who has SOME potential.