The Steelers QB Conundrum

43M

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

Ridder's peek will be Byron Leftwich.  You are seeing him AFTER they have corrected his mechanical issues.  They long windup will get him killed.  If they pick him up in the 3rd I might live with it but why bother?  Why get another developmental QB when you could just build the overall team strength.

I see Ridder as a lot more of a fluid mover than Lefty. His windup doesn't seem as long either. I'm far from good at analyzing QB prospects, though. I just like Ridder a lot more than looking back at Leftwich. 

I might be tempted to take a shot at Carson Strong if he fell to the 3rd...especially if we got a 3rd rd comp.   It wont happen though because Tomlin is seemingly obsessed with getting a mobile QB.

There is no day 1 or 2 QB Id take where they are currently being projected.

There are zero QBs Id take rd 1.

Willis and maybe Pickett rd 2.

Maybe Strong and Corral rd 3.

Howell rd 5.

Ridder and Purdy rd 6 or 7.

6 minutes ago, 43M said:

I might be tempted to take a shot at Carson Strong if he fell to the 3rd...especially if we got a 3rd rd comp.   It wont happen though because Tomlin is seemingly obsessed with getting a mobile QB.

There is no day 1 or 2 QB Id take where they are currently being projected.

There are zero QBs Id take rd 1.

Willis and maybe Pickett rd 2.

Maybe Strong and Corral rd 3.

Howell rd 5.

Ridder and Purdy rd 6 or 7.

I always find this funny that scouts/teams talk themselves into reaching for a QB in the first round not matter how weak the prospects are. I understand how valuable the position is but reaching for a guy that isn't the answer doesn't help anything. Its how Christian Ponder or Jake Locker or Jordan Love get picked in the first round. I hope the Steelers don't reach for a need, I would rather them get a stop gap in free agency.
Does anyone know how the QB class of 2023 is looking?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, August4th said:

think I'm leaning towards camp sign a vet to compete with Mason and wait to draft a 1st RD QB next yr

I think this is the best option. I'm hopeful the FO believes that Haskins is our "high potential dart throw guy" and we don't waste a draft pick on one. I think we probably take one in the 1st to much chagrin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think this is the best option. I'm hopeful the FO believes that Haskins is our "high potential dart throw guy" and we don't waste a draft pick on one. I think we probably take one in the 1st to much chagrin. 

they could look at signing a young QB like Gardner(only 25) as a potential long term plan, if it does not work out for the yr, oh well. at least they did not put a ton a resources into it(draft capital)

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

2023 is pretty strong.  Levis(Ky) and Stroud(tOSU), McCall(coastal Carolina).  possibly Young. Hendon Hooker(Tenn).  Another to keep an eye on would be DJ Uiagalelei(Clemson).

There's about 10-15 guys to watch this coming season. I'm not sure how all of them will do, or if they'll even come out, but they are much more promising to me than the group in 2022.

I'm not saying it is a new phenomenon but teams reaching for a QB in the first does feel like a more recent trend (last 10-15 years). I remember drafts where no QB's were taken in the first. Now teams get so desperate they overvalue them.