2022 NFL Scouting Combine - March 1st thru 7th

MikeT14

59 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This is very interesting. There definitely aren’t many good CBs coming out of that range in the draft, have never noticed that before. Looks like basically just a drop-off after round 2 for the most part.

It's similar to the crappy QBs after round 1. You get about half the value drafting CBs than other positions (in round 3). That is significant. I analyzed the drafts from 2003 to 2013 (35 corner-backs) There are a lot of busts.  

I will be doing the 2014 draft soon and just from a quick glance, it was all busts or below average for DBs. 

Edited by taylor made

5 minutes ago, taylor made said:

It's similar to the crappy QBs after round 1. You get about half the value drafting CBs than other positions (in round 3). I analyzed the drafts from 2003 to 2013. There are a lot of busts.  

The interesting thing, IIRC is that the success goes back up somewhat for CB and S in Day 3 of the draft. I remember reading something about that about a year or so ago. Does your analysis jibe with that or am I misremembering?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

The interesting thing, IIRC is that the success goes back up somewhat for CB and S in Day 3 of the draft. I remember reading something about that about a year or so ago.

Yeah, that is surprising. I would like to see how intensive their research was though. You can always pick out a three year period or so and say hey look at Richard Sherman, Bashaud Breeland etc.  I've only done research into Rounds 1-3. Cornerback is a tough position to draft. The concerning thing is that Martin Mayhew, a former cornerback is happy drafting cornerbacks in the middle rounds from his time in Detroit. To his credit he did draft Darius Slay in Round 2. 

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

Yeah, that is surprising. I would like to see how intensive their research was though. You can always pick out a three year period or so and say hey look at Richard Sherman, Bashaud Breeland etc.  I've only done research into Rounds 1-3. Cornerback is a tough position to draft. The concerning thing is that Marty Hurney, a former cornerback is happy drafting cornerbacks in the middle rounds from his time in Detroit. To his credit he did draft Darius Slay in Round 2. 

I think you mean Martin Mayhew as the former CB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

Yeah, that is surprising. I would like to see how intensive their research was though. You can always pick out a three year period or so and say hey look at Richard Sherman, Bashaud Breeland etc.  I've only done research into Rounds 1-3. Cornerback is a tough position to draft. The concerning thing is that Martin Mayhew, a former cornerback is happy drafting cornerbacks in the middle rounds from his time in Detroit. To his credit he did draft Darius Slay in Round 2. 

And having done absolutely ZERO research on the matter, but having lived through a lot of drafts, CB seems to perhaps be the most (draft one early who is highly regarded with production) position that I can think of using only anecdotal memory evidence as a guide. Surprisingly even more so than QB. I mean we can all rattle off the names of Brady, Wilson, cousins etc., but who can rattle off a later round CB who has the same status as them?)

15 hours ago, taylor made said:

It was a horrible pick. The success rate of 3rd round Cornerbacks is extremely low. 

You’re right, we shouldn’t have even tried! Dude the 3rd round success rate of any draft pick is low.

What about Kendall Fuller?

Also I’ll say that I feel most people still don’t like the Juice pick bc they’re still all bent out of shape about Jimmy Moreland & his cut. 9 months later, they still can’t get over that.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

You’re right, we shouldn’t have even tried! Dude the 3rd round success rate of any draft pick is low.

Also I’ll say that I feel most people still don’t like the Juice pick bc they’re still all bent out of shape about Jimmy Moreland & his cut. 9 months later, they still can’t get over that.

Correct. It was a bad pick then. Was a bad pick during the season. And still is a waste of a pick. We went backwards at the position.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That's like saying to keep going for the Hail Mary pass or half court shot in basketball all game long. If you read my post, you get better value with other positions so I disagree that any 3rd round success rate is low. For interior lineman, its actually not bad. 

What about Kendall Fuller? That's one cornerback. 

Below Value (39 cornerbacks, 82.9%): Dwayne Gratz, Leon McFadden, Kayvon Webster,  Will Davis, Josh Robinson, Jamell Fleming, Dwight Bentley, Jayron Hosley, Curtis Brown, Curtis Marsh, Demarcus Van Dyke, Chris Culliver, Johnny Patrick, Jerome Murphy, Myron Lewis, Kevin Thomas, Brandon Ghee, Ryan Mouton, Christopher Owens, Asher Allen, Kevin Barnes, Chevis Jackson, Antwaun Molden, Marcus McCauley, Jonathan Wade, Daymeion Hughes, David Pittman Ashton Youboty, Stanley Wilson, Eric Green, Karl Paymah, Dustin Fox, Scott Starks, Joey Thomas, Keith Smith, Derrick Strait, Jeremy LeSeur, Rich Gardner, Julian Battle

About Average (3 cornerbacks, 6.3%): Derek Cox, Ricky Manning, Domonique Foxworth (being generous here)

Above Value: (5 cornerbacks, 10.6%) Logan Ryan, Jerraud Powers, Ladarius Webb, Bradley Fletcher, Ellis Hobbs

Just finish re-watching the 2022 NFL combine. Some high ranking players did not impress me maybe b/c I expected them to blow up the combine drills. Here is my quick take on some players that just really stuch out to me.

QB

Pickett and Malik look like prospects that needs a lot of seasoning. Nothing really impressed me with the QB except for Ridder and Cole Kelly. Both of these caught my eye. Only thing about Kelly he needs to pick up the pace on his release, it is a tad slow. Ridder and Kelly looked good in the short, intermediate and deep passes.

RB

Bress Hall, Rashard White and Pierre Strong all look like 3 down rb's to me. Strong is a stick of dynamite very explosive.

WR

Burks seems to get faster as gets down field.  He looked better in college.

Tyquan Thornton, Sky Moore, George Pickens and Alec Pierce I like every one of these guys. To me they did better than Burks or Watson.

TE

No TE stuck out to me and more importantly none of them seem like they could be matchup problems for the Def

Def.

DL DeAngelo Malone, Phidarin (?) Mathis, Travis Jones all impressed me more than Thibodeaux. 

Lb

Chris Harris and Chad Muma. Man talking about Dean/Lloyd this Harris really did good in the drills.

CB 

Tariq Woolen has the hieght and the speed needs some more work but I love the hieght and speed. 

Nick Cross man were did this guy come from. Looking good Nick

Gardner looks good to but he seems light to me. Wonder if some extra weight slow him down. 

Thibodeaux, Lloyd, Hamilton and Burks  did okay but I think other prospects really looked good in most of the drills. I expected better but these are top prospects so sometimes these drills don't matter because they play good on the field. Missed the OL drills but like I said earlier this is just a quick observation. 

• Like 1