Cliff Branch finally makes it!

Devilshark69

Well he’s finally in the hall!! Posthumously of course , just like his teammate the snake. For you young ‘uns he was the original field stretcher for the raiders offense. Waaaay overdue! Damn crime the man couldn’t enjoy it while he was alive! But him and Kenny are sitting in raider heaven having a cold one and a victory cigar.... congratulations to him and his family!!!!

• Like 5

On 2/14/2022 at 4:21 PM, Devilshark69 said:

Welcome to the nation HB, the writers who vote don’t show much love. That’s why it took Tim brown 5 yrs to get in etc. 

I never really understood why there was such a strict yearly quota. To me, if you're good enough and you had the impact you should get in. Now I understand they don't want the place flooded with good rather than great players but to set an arbitrary number kind of seems like either some undeserving will get in during a lean year or some deserving will be left out by the very nature.........

I guess the NFL view it as another marketing and money spinning thing though so I guess that's why 😁

Edited by Darbsk

Congrats for Branch!  It really upsets me the NFL has chosen to wait til these legends pass away to put them in the hall of fame.  They always knew he (and Snake) was going to eventually get in there.  Obviously, no one knew when he was going to pass and 71yo isn’t super old but what’s the point of waiting til after his death to finally put him in.  He retired in 1986 and was a finalist in 2004 and 2010. Dies in 2019, then in 2022 he finally gets elected in.  

If it was me…. It’d be in my will that my family in order to get the inheritance has to go to the ceremony, get up on stage, and at the last moment bring up the insanity and disrespect of what I believe to be purposely waiting until after my death to let me in…. And then DECLINE membership into the hall and legally fight any association of my name with the hall of fame.  

If you won’t give these old players, who helped build the NFL into the global billion dollar brand it is today but never earned substantial contracts to play, then you don’t deserve to keep earning money off their image, memory, etc by putting them in the hall of fame.  

I’d venture to guess that most of these guys aren’t rich at this point in their lives and living very modestly off pensions and social security.  They’re most valuable possession is their accomplishments and pride.  So if you won’t give them their jacket, ring, and HOF membership while their alive so they can enjoy it then don’t you dare try to capitalize off their name ever again in the future.

• Like 1