Rick Smith Hot Seat Thread

Apollo Stallion

Also ESPN did a report on top players under 25, Chiefs had 3 on the list,  7 teams had two (including Texans.... Clowney & DW4)

Jags & Titans had two on the list plus they both had 1 each on the "just missed" list.

Colts had none.

I bring this up because I like the talent the Chiefs have collected (prior to this report).  

So for a GM candidate, I would possibly include:

Chiefs Director of Player Personnel Mike Borgonzi

or

Chiefs Director of Pro Personnel Tim Terry

Whoever is helping Andy Reid make player choices. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched C.J. Fiedorowicz absolutely stink up the field vs. the Ravens missing 3 catchable passes and absolutely getting rag dolled blocking for the 2nd week in a row by guys he outweighs by 50 lbs. While it's far from the worst, I'm ready to add resigning Fido to the list of grievances against Rick Smith.  Is this the profile of a guy worth 3 years / $21 million (aka $7 million per season)?  

2014 - 4 rec / 28 yards / 1 td

2015 - 24 rec / 167 yards / 1 td

2016 - 54 rec / 559 yards / 4 td

2017 - 12 rec / 111 yards / 0 tds

Total - 87 rec / 865 yards / 6 tds

Salaries of the top 5 TEs are only $2 - $3 million more per season than Fido or less than we paid Tony Bergstrom to sit on the bench last year.

Jimmy Graham - 548 / 6,727 / 67 ($10m)

Travis Kelce - 286 / 3,639 / 19 ($9.3m)

Jordan Reed  - 275 / 2,813 / 22 ($9.3)

Rob Gronkowski - 451 / 6,797 / 75 ($9m)

Zach Ertz - 302 / 3,479 / 20 ($8.5m)

Let's explore the comparables making avg $7 million per season:

Greg Olsen - 626 rec / 7,403 yards / 52 tds

Jason Witten - 1,139 rec / 12,317 yards / 66 tds

Kyle Rudolph - 311 rec / 3,050 yards / 34 tds

Coby Fleener - 255 rec / 3,080 yards / 22 tds

Martellus Bennett - 433 rec / 4,573 yards / 30 tds

Jermaine Gresham - 360 rec / 3,586 yards / 29 tds

Delanie Walker - 458 rec / 5,427 yards / 32 tds

Charles Clay - 298 rec / 3,247 yards / 23 tds

Swallow this one.  EVERY player mentioned above has had at least one season where they have eclipsed Fido's CAREER totals for rec / yards/ or tds IN A SINGLE SEASON. 

Just because I'm a glutton, here is a sampling of some backup or #2TEs career #'s.

Antonio Gates - 913 / 11,339 / 112 ($5.5m)

Vernon Davis - 538 / 6,951 / 58  ($5m)

Brent Celek - 393 / 4,968 / 30 ($4.3m)

Benjamin Watson - 476 / 5,286 / 40  ($3.5m)

Virgil Green - 69 / 765 / 4 ($2.8m)

Anthony Fasano - 294 / 3,216 / 36 ($2.75m)

Zach Miller - 146 / 1631 / 15 ($2.5m)

Garrett Celek - 69 / 826 / 8 ($2.55m)

Ed Dickson - 174 / 1,945 / 12  ($2m)

Lance Kendricks - 214 / 2,272 / 18 ($2m)

Luke Wilson - 85 / 1,082 / 10 ($1.8)

Richard Rodgers - 115 / 1,085 / 12  ($690k)

Cameron Brate - 116 / 1,407 / 15 ($690k)

How about some other upcoming free agents/starters Fido would be "competing" with (bolded players above are also 2018 FAs):

Julius Thomas - 219 / 2,360 / 35 ($6m)

Tyler Eifert - 127 / 1,537 / 20 ($2m)

Erik Ebron - 161 / 1,813 / 9 ($3m)

Austin Seferian Jenkins - 96 / 1,028 / 10 ($1.3m)

Sure, most of the guys on these lists have been in the league longer than Fido and it's not his fault he's suffered multiple concussions.  However, these are the types of numbers that we should be negotiating with this offseason had we not made the inexplicable decision to resign him a year early which has burned Rick Smith nearly EVERY season he has done it (everyone from Kris Brown, Cushing, Foster, and this season the trifecta with Fido, Prosch, Hal).   6 Touchdowns in 4 seasons folks!  Worst $7 million guy literally has 3 times the production Fido does.  Not sure what bothers me more, that Brent Celek has over 4,000 more yards than Fido or that his scrub brother Garrett has as many yards and 2 more TDs as a career backup.  Fido will have to string together several more 2016's just to get to Luke Wilson or Richard Rodgers levels and they are #3 TEs! 

13 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Watched C.J. Fiedorowicz absolutely stink up the field vs. the Ravens missing 3 catchable passes and absolutely getting rag dolled blocking for the 2nd week in a row by guys he outweighs by 50 lbs. While it's far from the worst, I'm ready to add resigning Fido to the list of grievances against Rick Smith.  Is this the profile of a guy worth 3 years / $21 million (aka $7 million per season)?  

I tried to justify this signing at first, but you're spot on - Fido isn't worth the scratch he's making. He shows flashes, but is wildly inconsistent week to week and is an injury concern. 

I've got to think that if he hit the open market, he'd struggle to find a contract offer like what he got...

On 11/30/2017 at 9:01 AM, texans_uk said:

We Brits can be quite pedantic. 

On 11/30/2017 at 7:19 AM, EliteTexan80 said:
On 11/30/2017 at 6:40 AM, texans_uk said:
On 11/29/2017 at 7:59 PM, Apollo Stallion said:

Worst

Worse*

I'm impressed you caught that in that ocean of words...

While it's far from the worst, I'm ready to add resigning Fido to the list of grievances against Rick Smith.

I love a good grammarian, even a pedantic brit, but worst is a superlative adjective used to compare one thing to multiple other things.  Worse is comparative between 2 and only 2 things.   If I was comparing the Fido signing to Ryan Griffin's, I would say one was worse than the other.  I'm comparing the Fido contract to 12 years worth of other Rick Smith contracts, so worst is the proper usage.  Clue is the word "the."  One thing can be worse than another thing but only one thing can be "the" worst or as properly used in my sentence "far from the worst."  I could correctly say resigning Fido for $21 million for 3 seasons was far worse than throwing away Duane Brown over $9 million.  

BTW - If I'm remembering my English Lit class from 25 years ago, Brits come up with "idioms" all the time that actually violate established grammar and help make it such a difficult language to learn.  For instance, Defoe's Robinson Crusoe gave us "if the worse came to the worst" but if enough people use it wrong long enough it becomes right, kind of like how "literally" now means "figuratively."  You can blame Irishman James Joyce for that one ("Lily, the caretaker's daughter, was literally run off her feet") although your boy Dickens started it and Kardashian worshipping millennials finished it. 

Yep folks, Rick Smith is so bad at his job, he's reduced us to debating the queen's english.  Hell, any cricket or rugby on this weekend?

1 minute ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Yep folks, Rick Smith is so bad at his job, he's reduced us to debating the queen's english.  Hell, any cricket or rugby on this weekend?

Rugby is turning 'murican, man. Got us some Houston Sabercats action in my hood, those mean streets of Sugar Land, TX!

• 2 weeks later...

Russell Wilson had half a billion yards against us, but Jacksonville's mostly held him down. AJ Bouye even has an interception.

Man, it'd be really stupid to let someone like that go and have nothing to show for it despite a ton of cap room. Reaaaalllly stupid.

(this is nothing new, but watching the highlights infuriates me nonetheless)

2 hours ago, Longhorns90 said:

Russell Wilson had half a billion yards against us, but Jacksonville's mostly held him down. AJ Bouye even has an interception.

Man, it'd be really stupid to let someone like that go and have nothing to show for it despite a ton of cap room. Reaaaalllly stupid.

(this is nothing new, but watching the highlights infuriates me nonetheless)

Bouye ended with 2 INT's... it was d@mn near criminal keeping KJax and letting Bouye go

During the Eagles game, I noticed a mammoth of a man leading Corey Clement down the field on a screen - just plowing the road for a good 15 yard gain.

Then I realized it was Brandon Brooks - a guy who is widely considered a top 3 G in the league.

We're trotting out Susan on a weekly basis because we felt Susan at pick 33 was better value than Brooks on a 2nd contract. Yeah, that really worked out...

23 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

During the Eagles game, I noticed a mammoth of a man leading Corey Clement down the field on a screen - just plowing the road for a good 15 yard gain.

Then I realized it was Brandon Brooks - a guy who is widely considered a top 3 G in the league.

We're trotting out Susan on a weekly basis because we felt Susan at pick 33 was better value than Brooks on a 2nd contract. Yeah, that really worked out...

What makes it even more infuriating is that Brooks was one of the few times the Texans ever truly "developed" a player with Newton being the other example. He was too too fat and slow to compete at the NFL level and a marginal prospect at best who was so lightly regarded he didn't even get a combine invite.  Texans took the time to redshirt him as a rookie, get him in shape, and molded him into a decent starter by year 2, much improved year 3, and was showing downright star potential in year 4.  How do you allow that investment to go to Philly right as he's entering his prime?   Even if you think Allen's one decent season in KC wasn't a fluke, why in the world would you disrupt continuity on the line over a $1 million difference in average annual salary?  As it has played out, Brooks continued to follow his trend line upwards while Allen immediately showed that his decent play as a swing lineman to end his 4th year was the statistical outlier and the he was the player who lost his starting job after 2 awful seasons to start his career.

Brooks needed time to physically get to where he needed to be to start in year 2, but the talent was clear from day 1. XSF's body was fine, the dude was clearly a horrifically bad pass protector and that just isn't something that tends to progress, but gets WORSE like with corners who can't cover as they become targeted.  XSF has never gotten the mental aspect of the game down and it's clear the light ain't coming on.  To make matters worse, he's also eaten his way into being too slow to get to the next level run blocking, so he's just a liability in every way. Remember, XSF is only 2 years younger than Brooks as he took 2 years off for mission work.  Smith has never understood the value of continuity on the line and how players compliment/detract from each other and should have seen the pending trainwreck without D. Brown helping at least make up for some of the more horrific lapses in XSFs pass protection and point out stunts coming. 

Archived