Older generation QBs who would still excel today

Tightspiral7

22 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Maybe if he gets to step in a time machine, and have all of the modern advantages.  If he was born in the 1910's though, like his peers would be, there isn't a chance in hell.  He's still going to be pedestrian.  

The vast majority of the older qbs would be better today, if they were actually born in this era, and were able to come up through it like the modern qbs.  The game is slanted in the positions favor more than it ever has been.  

Athletes today don't just have access to modern advantages, they're also just genetically superior. The arm talent of most of these guys comparatively to guys from 1930 or whatever is just not even a question for me.

It's one thing to say the absolute best QB from 1980's Joe Montana or Steve Young might be still good today, but guys from the 30's or 40's? Nah.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Athletes today don't just have access to modern advantages, they're also just genetically superior. The arm talent of most of these guys comparatively to guys from 1930 or whatever is just not even a question for me.

It's one thing to say the absolute best QB from 1980's Joe Montana or Steve Young might be still good today, but guys from the 30's or 40's? Nah.

The top athletes from that day and age also didn't choose football as a career. 

On 6/12/2022 at 8:46 PM, biggie. said:

Cunninham absolutely, Culpepper maybe but strong no on McNabb and VY.

Those two were dumb as bricks and more erratic than a woman on her period.

McNabb would absolutely kill it in this Era.  Those bitching and complaining over his perpensity of intentionally throwing dirt balls rather then INTS.  Can kick Rocks!

I think people are underrating a lot of the olds dudes. like KIRK COUSINS has averaged passing numbers that would be MVP years for almost any QB pre 2000 and none of us think Kirk Cousins is some great talent

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 1:02 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This 100%. 

I don't have a firm cut off date/era myself, but we can only reasonably go back so far. 

It's sort of like the American Ninja Warrior vs the Japanese Sasuke competitors episodes. 

The American team was made up of sponsored athletes who ran CrossFit gyms and were paid to train with the best equipment. It was their job. 

The Japanese guys were average working guys like firefighters who spent downtime at work climbing whatever they could find. It was their hobby, and I was more impressed with what they did with the limited resources. 

That said, the American team was far superior, and it wasn't even a truly fair competition. 

At some point in history, football players weren't just football players spending their teenage and early adult years being molded inside and out to be freak athletes. They were dudes who got together and played football outside of working their other jobs. Even those who played at a time where football was their only job, it wasn't paying a lifetime's worth of a working stiff's salary as a "signing bonus" or "workout bonus". 

There's no way to really even imagine what Paddy Driscoll or Jimmy Conzelman could have been with the training given today. Maybe they'd be great. Maybe they'd be average. You would have to pretty well alter their entire lives to be able to find out, and that's getting into a rabbit hole. But with what they actually were, no alterations to circumstances factored in, they'd flame out in the XFL or USFL, much less the NFL of today.