Dirk Koetter sticking around for 2018, Mike Smith and all assistant coaches too

bucsfan333

The issue I have with the defense outside talent, but almost as important scheme in relation to how personel has been used.  We ve discussed Hargreaves closer to the LOS.  How can Schiano devise blitz packages to unleash David, Mike Smith not so much.  There pass rush is so disjointed, Ryan and Eli have an easy path to get positive yards running.  When was the last time we saw a slot CB blitz?  Ronde made this a staple in a HOF career.  

I ll admit I was pretty happy when this staff was assembled.  IMO, they have under achieved on both sides of the ball.  I like Duffner, Steele, and Monken.  Maybe a case can be made for Maxie and Hoke.  After that, pretty underwhelming.  That isn't a Licht problem, but it certainly is a Koetter problem.

15 minutes ago, indifference said:

Campbell was in a 3-4 defense with AZ. His sack numbers are going to be low as a 3-4 DE anyway. Place him in a 4-3, where he can get more 1v1 opportunities and he is wrecking havoc. I can only imagine what McCoy and Campbell could do right now.

true

but still, campbell has so much talent around him he should be doing what hes doing, not to take anything away

i mean think of what JJ Watt would have done then in a 4-3 , since he was putting up 20+ sacks as a 3-4 DE

23 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I remember when he was almost run out of Carolina.

::EDIT::

He's right.

I agree with the premise, but........ of all the coaches I mean all the assistants, coordinators, and head coaches since Gruden how many of them are at their same level of title or above since the Bucs?   It is very fair to criticize the Glazers in their selection process and I agree with it.  I cannot fault them for trying to fix their errors quickly and eating millions in salaries in the process.  I still believe their desire is for Gruden.  If not him, then I think Koetter has a chance to survive with major changes to the staff and his responsibilities. 

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

We've all seen and thrown out a ton of names. The more we talk about it, the more I'm fine with almost any of them. And I might even be ok with giving Koetter one more year.

If he gives up playcalling yes I'm all for it. And I also think it's not coachinga fault for lack of talent on the DLINE. Sometimes you cannot coach up poor talent. 

19 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I remember when he was almost run out of Carolina.

::EDIT::

He's right.

I don’t disagree with any of this. All coaches will have fundamental lapses in judgement and poor personnel decisions (time mgmt and Doug over Barber). However, are Koetter’s so egregious that he deserves to be fired after 2 seasons all things considered? If he is retained I think it will depend on his willingness to take corrective feedback from Team Glazer and his plan to either relinquish playcalling and overhaul some of his coaching staff. If he is stubborn like Lovie, I think they cut bait, but if he shows some flexibility and room for change and growth then I think he gets one more year. The teams fight and way they are standing up for Koetter counts for something.

I think the glazers mind is made up. Remember I'm sure koetter and licht have meetings with the glazers once a week and questions on adjustments are probably brought up. 

Whats sad is the next coach is going to be in the hands of the glazers. They don't get it. 

Everything I read is tying licht to koetter which probably isn't even true. 

13 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Very interesting, Giants are in full tank mode, pretty much locked into 2nd overall.  Would Mc Daniels like both guys equally because they are not leap frogging the Browns.

Yeah. I still think both mcdaniels and Patricia aren't  leaving. Something tells me one will go and the other will stay and take over bellichik when that time comes. 

1 hour ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

mcdaniels probably has a higher % of leaving

i mean hes gone like what twice already

Maybe. He's been picky when making that next move though. He could have had a job the last few years. Same with Patricia. They'll interview but no guarantees they leave. 

I dont think the Glazers are going to have a problem replacing Licht.  They ve had 2 GMs in 9 years and both guys got paid at least 5 years.  That's pretty good job security for 0 playoff appearances.  I thought they would go retread but with Dorsey gone, only Gettleman left.  

I think the Glazers would prefer a better Licht.  One focused in drafting personnel then reliant on free agency.   If Koetter is to be replaced, the next head coach will have say on the 53 man roster.  Its a concession that will have to be given for a candidate to take the job.  I like Joe Douglas and Will McClay as GM candidates because as mentioned before the Glazers will be hiring both the next GM and head coach.

I really think Licht stays. Our recent draft class looks great and I've seen him on the sidelines a bunch with ownership. I can't imagine he'd be spending so much time with them if they weren't gonna keep him around. We've got him for next year already. And he's got strong ties to the Pats, Eagles, and Cardinals so I'm sure he's got insight into all their coordinators if that's the route he wants to go. 

Archived