Cowboys "likely" to release WR Amari Cooper at start of league year

TheKillerNacho

4 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Well then Denver made a big mistake paying Cortland Sutton that much money coming off of an ACL injury of 2020.

Because his production of 2021 last year resembles nothing of a $15M type of WR and his Receiver Rating of 78.4 is atrocious in comparison to his 2019 Receiver Rating of 96.5 (before his 2020 ACL. 

Denver made a big mistake and all teams should learn from it.

ACLs aren't as big of a deal any more. I doubt it keeps Godwin or obj from cashing in either. Sutton's problem wasn't the acl. It may ding Gallup a little in terms of guarantees at signing, but I don't see it having a huge impact on there overall contract expectation, which makes sense at between 12-15 per year against the market

People also have to adjust to higher salaries as the cap goes up. Robby Anderson is a 15 million dollar receiver. Corey Davis signed for 12.5 million a year last year on a down cap year and also had extremely similar performance to Gallup. Cap percentage of aav against current year cap = 6.8%. 

Same percentage on this year's cap = 14.16 million.

Nothing crazy about Gallup getting that kind of money, though I wouldn't give it to him. I said it during the year that I thought Kirk would be the better investment if you had to pay a receiver because I think he's similar quality and will for some reason come cheaper. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I read somewhere they can't afford to keep him because they will be in Salary Cap Hell.

Dalton Schultz too. 

You don't go from ranking #1 in both Yards (#1) and Points Scored (#1) (while Dak Prescott loved to target/feature the both of them) to just straight up letting both of Amari Cooper and Dalton Schultz go @ the age of only 27 and 25 the following offseason; and for absolutely nothingness in return 

That makes, no common sense.

If Dallas were $48M under the salary cap rather than $13M over the cap we wouldn't even be having/entertaining this discussion right now about them releasing their true #1 WR who Dak Prescott absolutely loves in Amari Cooper (who caught their only postseason TD vs 49ers) and/or not being able to Franchise Tag Dalton Schultz who put up top tier TE production last year; now would we?

But you know who will go guns blazing after both of Amari Cooper and Dalton Schultz?

A.) Teams who need to provide their QB with an awesome #1 WR.

B.) Teams who need to provide their QB with a QBs best friend ala an excellent pass catching TE in Dalton Schultz.

C.) Teams with actual Available Salary Cap Space.

D.) Teams who can actually afford to pay them. 

Because one thing is for sure both of Amari Cooper and Dalton Schultz will become the most coveted and most sought after FA WR/TE once on the open market.

And if you're Dallas you don't throw that away for absolutely nothingness; you only can't bring them back because you can't afford them. 

But as a Jets fan I know our luck. Chances are we'll just have to draft a WR #10 overall and then draft Trey McBride TE #36 overall because chances are Dalton Schultz goes to Cincinnati/Chargers and Amari Cooper goes to Chargers/Chiefs (while the rich get even richer).

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

1 hour ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

And if you're Dallas you don't throw that away for absolutely nothingness; you only can't bring them back because you can't afford them

You are talking about the same team that let HOFer Ware walk for nothing. We regularly dont trade for value. One of the reasons we are a 10 win team and not a superbowl threat.

32 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You are talking about the same team that let HOFer Ware walk for nothing. We regularly dont trade for value. One of the reasons we are a 10 win team and not a superbowl threat.

🍎 To 🍊 example there. 

(and nothing similar to Amari Cooper/Dalton Schultz situations).

DeMarcus Ware was already 32 years old once he left Dallas and then played his first game with the Broncos.

He was also on a steep Dallas decline going from 8 sacks, 11.5 sacks, 14.0 sacks, 20.0 sacks, 11.0 sacks, 15.5 sacks, 19.5 sacks, 11.5 sacks and then bang. Career low. Only 6.0 sacks. and then it was bye-bye to Mr. Ware in Big-D (and retired 3 years later).

And the Offseason of 2014 Dallas was also over cap by $20M+ (so even if Dallas wanted to keep him they couldn't afford what Denver gave him $30M 3 years $10M per).

Not wanting to keep Amari Cooper and Dalton Schultz and not being able to afford them (like other teams can) are two big time 🍎 to 🍊 differences. 

You don't rank #1 in Offensive Yards and also #1 in Points Scored but then watch two of your most efficient and most productive Offensive Players (Cooper/Schultz) walk the following offseason (FA/Released) by choice. 

It's called by force (salary cap hell).

37 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You are talking about the same team that let HOFer Ware walk for nothing. 

DeMarcus Ware is not a Hall of Famer (and probably never will be). And I don't believe his name was even on 2022's HOF ballot. 

(Topic for another conversation, you should create a player comparison thread about it).

1 minute ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

DeMarcus Ware is not a Hall of Famer (and probably never will be). And I don't believe his name was even on 2022's HOF ballot. 

(Topic for another conversation, you should create a player comparison thread about it).

Wow

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

DeMarcus Ware is not a Hall of Famer. And I don't believe his name was even on 2022's HOF ballot. 

Did you get this from the same source that told you Torry Holt was a 1st ballot HOFer?

Brutal.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

🍎 To 🍊 example there. 

(and nothing similar to Amari Cooper/Dalton Schultz situations).

DeMarcus Ware was already 32 years old once he left Dallas and then played his first game with the Broncos.

He was also on a steep Dallas decline going from 8 sacks, 11.5 sacks, 14.0 sacks, 20.0 sacks, 11.0 sacks, 15.5 sacks, 19.5 sacks, 11.5 sacks and then bang. Career low. Only 6.0 sacks. and then it was bye-bye to Mr. Ware in Big-D (and retired 3 years later).

And the Offseason of 2014 Dallas was also over cap by $20M+ (so even if Dallas wanted to keep him they couldn't afford what Denver gave him $30M 3 years $10M per).

Not wanting to keep Amari Cooper and Dalton Schultz and not being able to afford them (like other teams can) are two big time 🍎 to 🍊 differences. 

You don't rank #1 in Offensive Yards and also #1 in Points Scored but then watch two of your most efficient and most productive Offensive Players (Cooper/Schultz) walk the following offseason (FA/Released) by choice. 

It's called by force (salary cap hell).

He had a back injury...

4 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Start a thread about it. I bet you lose again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Topic of conversation for another thread. 

Why? You’ve made two threads with polls, got smoked in both, and then whines about how everyone’s against you. What good is another poll going to do?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Topic of conversation for another thread. 

It's not even about your opinion on the matter. 

You just said he wasn't even on the ballot...he was a first year eligible and made the finalist list. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/pro-football-hall-of-fame-class-of-2022-takeaways-for-each-of-the-15-modern-era-

Almost a lock that he gets in at some point. 

• Like 1