Cowboys "likely" to release WR Amari Cooper at start of league year

TheKillerNacho

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Every team cuts players; this isnt unique to the Cowboys. 

And much to dismay of everyone pooping on the Cowboys, we literally built his contract with very little in guaranteed money for this specific purpose. That we could move on if his production doesnt match his salary (it doesnt). 

As for Zeke, he would be cut already if we could afford it. 

Yes but Cooper is 27yrs old and the Cowboys traded for him bc they thought he would help Dak growth. Remember before Cooper they had Dez and things wasn’t working out too well with the Dak to Dez connection.

Then I look at this past season, Dak QBR was 65 when Cooper was on the field. That would’ve made Dak 3rd best in the NFL. When Cooper wasn’t on the field Dak QBR was 35. We know how important QB to WR connections are in the NFL. Take a look at Stafford to Kupp, Burrow to Chase, Murray to Hopkins to name a few. 

So that’s why I said this is stuff the Cowboys do. They shouldn’t have went all out to get Cooper then pay him only to potential cut him especially since he has shown to have a positive effect on Dak in which they invested heavily on as well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Yes but Cooper is 27yrs old and the Cowboys traded for him bc they thought he would help Dak growth. Remember before Cooper they had Dez and things wasn’t working out too well with the Dak to Dez connection.

Then I look at this past season, Dak QBR was 65 when Cooper was on the field. That would’ve made Dak 3rd best in the NFL. When Cooper wasn’t on the field Dak QBR was 35. We know how important QB to WR connections are in the NFL. Take a look at Stafford to Kupp, Burrow to Chase, Murray to Hopkins to name a few. 

So that’s why I said this is stuff the Cowboys do. They shouldn’t have went all out to get Cooper then pay him only to potential cut him especially since he has shown to have a positive effect on Dak in which they invested heavily on as well. 

That is such a small sample size its silly. 2 games. And CD was also missing for 6 of the 8 quarters in those two games. Most QBs struggle when you take away their top two WRs and then force them to play 2 playoff teams in 4 days.

Cmon Man.

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

That is such a small sample size its silly. 2 games. And CD was also missing for 6 of the 8 quarters in those two games. Most QBs struggle when you take away their top two WRs and then force them to play 2 playoff teams in 4 days.

Cmon Man.

So you are saying Dak and the Cowboys offense will be better without Cooper?

Im not saying the offense can’t be bc the Cowboys can adapt and adjust but in general do you have the highest of confidence that they will? I don’t. And I’m not saying Cooper is the end all be all. CD has to step up too. Same for Gallup. Heck Zeke need to play like how he played that got him the contract. If that happens maybe the Cowboys won’t miss Cooper but I’ll continue to go back to the reason the Cowboys traded for Cooper then gave him the big money. They wanted someone who can help continue the growth of Dak. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

So you are saying Dak and the Cowboys offense will be better without Cooper?

Im not saying the offense can’t be bc the Cowboys can adapt and adjust but in general do you have the highest of confidence that they will? I don’t. And I’m not saying Cooper is the end all be all. CD has to step up too. Same for Gallup. Heck Zeke need to play like how he played that got him the contract. If that happens maybe the Cowboys won’t miss Cooper but I’ll continue to go back to the reason the Cowboys traded for Cooper then gave him the big money. They wanted someone who can help continue the growth of Dak. 

As of right now this second, no. We dont have anyone to be a #2 WR if Cooper, Gallup and Wilson are all gone along with Schultz. Thats literally 4 of the top 5 pass catchers on the Cowboys. 

I do think we can survive a Cooper loss between resigning one of the afore mentioned players and drafting another 1 or 2. Will be the #1 offense again? Probably not. But we will be more efficiently using our cap dollars which can lead to better players/performances in the other two phases of the game. And who knows, the Cowboys have shown a pretty incredible ability to replace big names.

I was told our offense was going to be terrible after we lost Romo. Then again after we lost Fredbeard. Then again after we lost Dez/Terrance Williams/Witten.

Weve been the #1 offense in the NFL 3 years in a row when Dak is playing (#1 in 2020 before injury). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

As of right now this second, no. We dont have anyone to be a #2 WR if Cooper, Gallup and Wilson are all gone along with Schultz. Thats literally 4 of the top 5 pass catchers on the Cowboys. 

I do think we can survive a Cooper loss between resigning one of the afore mentioned players and drafting another 1 or 2. Will be the #1 offense again? Probably not. But we will be more efficiently using our cap dollars which can lead to better players/performances in the other two phases of the game. And who knows, the Cowboys have shown a pretty incredible ability to replace big names.

I was told our offense was going to be terrible after we lost Romo. Then again after we lost Fredbeard. Then again after we lost Dez/Terrance Williams/Witten.

Weve been the #1 offense in the NFL 3 years in a row when Dak is playing (#1 in 2020 before injury). 

Fair enough. I do agree the Cowboys have to find a way to at least keep Gallup and Schultz. Then this draft is loaded at the receiver position too just in case the Cowboys can’t keep Gallup.

Its not even necessarily about the Cowboys replacing Cooper or whomever else with big names it’s just about them using what they have a adjusting and adapting. On paper they have a talented roster even minus Cooper. Lamb supposed to be a top 10 receiver. The Cowboys need to start to get the most out of their players especially their top caliber players and that will help them out a lot. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D82 said:

It’s the same thing year after year with this team. They do just enough to stay semi-relevant but will never make the necessary moves to get back to being a serious contender. 

Getting your hopes up for 20+ years now gets old. 

I feel you, but you've been a Cowboys fan for a long time I'm guessing. Can't give up now. Not sure if you saw those 90s Cowboys SBs, but if you haven't I'm sure that first SB will be an amazing feeling like it was for Eagles fans a few years ago. 

Also, Matts needs you to keep him from getting banned again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I feel you, but you've been a Cowboys fan for a long time I'm guessing. Can't give up now. Not sure if you saw those 90s Cowboys SBs, but if you haven't I'm sure that first SB will be an amazing feeling like it was for Eagles fans a few years ago. 

Also, Matts needs you to keep him from getting banned again.

I was born in 1990. So, alive for that 90s run but don't remember any of them. My luck.

• Like 1

Just now, D82 said:

I was born in 1990. So, alive for that 90s run but don't remember any of them. My luck.

Damn. I get the frustration then lol.

What is the one thing you would change if you could? The Jones family staying out of personnel decisions all together?

Do you like Will McClay?

I mean I don’t personally look at this as a terrible move. Cooper was brought in to help Daks progression and be the the #1 for them. Which he did and that was worth the 1st they gave up. Dak has progressed. They need to sign some of their free agents but they have their new #1 (assuming CD is that guy). Bring back Gallup and possibly Shultz and draft one of the many WRS in this draft and I think they will be just fine. All while saving big on the cap. It seems like a solid move to me. 

6 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I agree with this. Prior to the 2nd half of this past season I don't really think his production was an issue, either (for the Cowboys brass). They gave him the contract they did for a reason... don't think it would have been smart of them to throw money at him and expect that to turn him into a 1400 yards, 10 touchdown sort of guy. They knew what they were paying for and they were okay with that. Cooper is still the guy they were willing to shell out for. Half a season of decreased production doesn't change that. More than anything his production took a hit due to playing through multiple injuries all season long, missing two (basically 3) games with COVID, and then coming back to deal with an offense that simply could not find its identity in the 2nd half of the season. That isn't a reason to cut bait when the guy is still the guy that you were more than willing to pay for just a couple of years ago. If he had another 1100-1200 yard, 8 touchdown season I don't think this would even really be a conversation. So long as keeping him is financially viable that is absolutely what you do. You don't move on from a guy just based on the principle that he didn't live up to his contract the past season... not when that move would make your football team worse. There could be a time for moving forward in the future, but it doesn't seem to make sense to do it right now.

Still entirely possible this move never even comes to fruition. 

Edited by NoFlyZone
  • Like 2

On 3/4/2022 at 10:30 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Coop is such an inconsistent, soft, beta dude. Just doesn't have that edge to him to make him truly a stud #1. He'll go off one week and everyone will think he's a stud, then he'll drop a few passes the next week and be invisible. 

Oakland fell for it, Dalls fell for it and now another team will fool themselves into giving him top end money for a middle of the pack WR. 

Yet you guys still retain Derek Carr.

Curious

23 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

They couldn’t get a mid-late rd pick considering the Cowboys would eat his guaranteed bonus?

They haven't cut him yet, which is why I expect precisely this to happen. 

I don't think that they will get a lot back, but you don't need to announce this or leak this right now unless you're just looking for everyone to get any potential offers in. 

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think that they will get a lot back, but you don't need to announce this or leak this right now unless you're just looking for everyone to get any potential offers in. 

Yeah it makes sense they’d get something.  He’d basically be owed 3 years, $60m with zero guaranteed.  On the open market he’s probably get something like that with half of it guaranteed.  

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

Im surprised that there has been literally 0 leaked takers for Cooper. But the Cowboys are horrific at trades, so I guess I shouldnt be shocked. 

53 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

They couldn’t get a mid-late rd pick considering the Cowboys would eat his guaranteed bonus?

He got an incredibly small signing bonus. Cowboys are barely eating any of the cost.

• Like 1