The first official Turtle 🐢 mock off-season

turtle28

The first official Turtle 🐢 mock off-season. If you want the correct answers & to know what the front office will absolute ignore, as they never do what I think they should, you’ve come to the right  place!

Cut

1. Landon Collins: Everyone in here knows I’ve loved Collins as a SS since college & wanted us to draft him in the 2015 NFL Draft but there are two issues:

A. He simply makes too much $. I definitely think Rivera/the Marty’s and Rogers will offer a restructure opportunity to Collins before outright cutting him and Collins would be stupid to not take it bc even if his salary is cut in half next year to $8 million like it should be, he isn’t getting anything but $5 mil or maybe even less as a FA on the open market after continuing to be a liability in coverage since we signed him in 2019 and tearing his achillies in 2020. Yes he returned and played pretty well last year coming back from the injury but it’s still a red flag that will affect his stock on the open market. 

B. Keeping Collins means the continued stunting development of Jamin Davis. Jamin should’ve been our starting WLB since the minute we drafted him. They shouldn’t have forced making Jamin a MLB as a rookie, it was an awful decision & like allowing Collins to play S in September, the decision cost us games.

Especially when you had a vet like Bostic returning who was our starting MLB the year before when our D played much better the second half of the season & we definitely should’ve signed a different vet last year to be an upgrade over Bostic too. Bostic should’ve been our back up MLB. Hudson backing up Collins at WLB & Davis backing up Holcomb at SLB since day 1 of the off-season last year.

Jamin needs to play & play where Collins played most of last season at WLB. Therefore, I think they should & will cut Collins & designate him as a June 1st cut thus saving $11 million.

Re-sign/Extend

1. Terry McLaurin: 5 years, $100 million w/ a $30 million signing bonus, $50 million guaranteed at signing and $60 million guaranteed.

*2022 cap hit is $12 million*

2. Daron Payne: 4 years, $50 million w/ a $10 million signing bonus, $15 million guaranteed at signing and $25 million guaranteed.

As everyone knows, I don’t want them to re-sign Payne. It’s not bc I don’t like Payne - I love him - but I think paying two DTs $30 plus million a year is bad salary cap allocation & I want to keep Sweat & Young long term more than I do Payne bc edge rushers are more valuable & harder to replace than a NT.

I would rather them trade him for a 2nd round pick & a mid to late round pick but the reports are they are currently working on a contract extension and I’m trying to make my predictions correct as to what I feel Ron & the Marty’s will do, this is NOT a Turtle 🐢 wish list.

* 2022 cap hit is $8.5 million*

3. JD McKissic: 3 years, $9 million

4. Bobby McCain: 2 years $8 million 

5. DeAndre Carter: 3 years, $5 million 

6. Cam Sims: 3 years, $5 million 

7. Cornelius Lucas: 2 years $5 million 

8. Ricky Seals Jones: 2 years, $3 million

9. Spencer Larsen: 1 year, $715,000

Free Agent signings

1. Mitchell Trubisky: 1 year, $10 million (prove it contract for him, same as Fitz last year)

2. Quandre Diggs: 4 years, $50 million w/ a $10 million signing bonus, $15 million guaranteed at signing and $25 million guaranteed.

*2022 cap hit is $10 million*

3. Cedric Wilson, WR from Cowboys: 3 years $20 million w/ a $5 million signing bonus & $10 million guaranteed.

4. DeMario Davis: 2 years, $15 million w/ a 

Draft:

Round 1, we have a trade! The Washington Commanders trade #11, #42 & their 2023 first round pick to the Jets to get their #4 selection.

Again, this is not what I’d do, but I feel Ron will bc he feels desperate just like Dan/Bruce in 2012 when they traded up for RG3.

1st Round #4 pick: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

Round 3: Damone Clark, ILB, LSU

Round 4: Nick Cross, FS, UMD

Round 6: Christopher Allen, DE, Alabama

Round 7: Ellis Brooks, LB Penn State 

2022 Commanders Roster

QB: Trubisky, Heinicke, Willis (1st rnd)

RB: Gibby, McKissic, Patterson

WR: Terry, Dyami

WR: Cooper, Sims

Slot: Samuel, Carter

TE: Logan, RSJ, Bates, Reyes

LT: Leno, Lucas

LG: Flowers, Charles

C : Roullier, Ismael

RG: Wes S, Larsen

RT: Cosmi

Total: 25

Defense

RDE: Young, Christopher Allen (6th rnd), Shaka Toney

DT: Jon Allen, Daniel Wise

NT: Payne, Ioannidis 

LDE: Sweat, JSW

WLB: Jamin Davis, Hudson

MLB: DeMario Davis, Damone Clark (3rd round)

SLB: Holcomb, Ellis Brooks (7th round)

RCB: Fuller, St. Juste 

LCB: WJ3, Daryl Roberts

Slot: Bobby McCain, Danny Johnson

SS: Curl, Forest

FS: Diggs, Nick Cross (4th round)

Total: 25

K: Joey Slye

P: Tress Way

LS: Cheesman

KR: DeAndre Carter

PR: DeAndre Carter

Edited by turtle28

I haven’t fully read or digested all of it, and I’m sleepy and a few glasses of wine sloshing around in my brain — but just as an initial reaction, I don’t think there’s any world where Terry McLaurin gets 5/100 with 50M guaranteed and Amari Cooper gets 4/50 with 15M guaranteed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

I haven’t fully read or digested all of it, and I’m sleepy and a few glasses of wine sloshing around in my brain — but just as an initial reaction, I don’t think there’s any world where Terry McLaurin gets 5/100 with 50M guaranteed and Amari Cooper gets 4/50 with 15M guaranteed. 

Probably right. Let me know what you think about that when you’re awake man. I always defer to you, Woz & Thai on contract stuff like that. I’ll change it up.

Props to you Turtle for making a realistic offseason. I get tired of going on here and seeing mocks and offseason where we have 3 second round picks. It's not exciting but resigning our current players is good. I am fine with signing one big free agent in Amari Cooper or Quandre Diggs but I'm not sure we should sign both.  I still have not watched Damone Clark play. I know he is one of your favorites. He had a good Senior Bowl iirc. I can't wait to see how he looks at the combine.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Props to you Turtle for making a realistic offseason. I get tired of going on here and seeing mocks and offseason where we have 3 second round picks. It's not exciting but resigning our current players is good. I am fine with signing one big free agent in Amari Cooper or Quandre Diggs but I'm not sure we should sign both.  I still have not watched Damone Clark play. I know he is one of your favorites. He had a good Senior Bowl iirc. I can't wait to see how he looks at the combine.

You’re right on Coop or Diggs but not both, I think that was @e16bball’s point as well. In that case I think they’ll sign a FS and not another WR making over $10 mil, but I could be wrong.

Rivera really likes McCain, so if he’s re-signed he’ll probably be our starting Fs again. If that’s the case I hope we sign a good slot corner bc that hurt us more than anything to start the season last year in coverage on top of poor LB coverage & blown coverages deep the first half of the year.

As I was writing that our coverage was an ish show last year to start the season! Which we all knew but still! 😂 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1)Trade for Watson

2)Sign WR Amari Cooper as a FA (when he's cut)

3)Draft FS Kyle Hamilton if our #11 is still in possession, after the Watson trade.

That's what we SHOULD do....

What we will probably do....

1) Sign Mitch Trubisky to a 6 yr 140 million dollar deal.

2)Trade for Christian McCaffrey, as he gets hurt in Week 1.

3)Draft worse possible player in round 3, cause we don't have a 1 or 2 cause of the McCaffrey trade.

Lose as usual

3 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

1)Trade for Watson

2)Sign WR Amari Cooper as a FA (when he's cut)

3)Draft FS Kyle Hamilton if our #11 is still in possession, after the Watson trade.

That's what we SHOULD do....

What we will probably do....

1) Sign Mitch Trubisky to a 6 yr 140 million dollar deal.

2)Trade for Christian McCaffrey, as he gets hurt in Week 1.

3)Draft worse possible player in round 3, cause we don't have a 1 or 2 cause of the McCaffrey trade.

Lose as usual

Yeah, getting Watson is the dream scenario but I think Watson will refuse to come here, maybe we trade for Jimmy G or Wentz instead of signing a Trubisky, Bridgewater, Mariota, Tyrod or Winston but I’m hooding we do the latter and not trade a pick or 2 to get Wentz or Jimmy G.

I think Kyle Hamilton goes too 5, if not top 10, I’ll be shocked if he’s fall to us at 11. If we trade for Watson I’m assuming we’d have to trade #1 so we wouldn’t be able to draft Hamilton anyways… correct?

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

One initial thought from this is do we even have the cap space for this? There’s like 45 million burned on 4 players

I looked into it & no. I think I’m going to drop Coopee from my FA signing, re-sign Humphries instead or another WR. I think I’m going to sign Cedric Wilson, the Cowboys WR who broke out this year to a cheaper contract.

Edited by turtle28

On 3/6/2022 at 2:18 PM, turtle28 said:

Yeah, getting Watson is the dream scenario but I think Watson will refuse to come here, maybe we trade for Jimmy G or Wentz instead of signing a Trubisky, Bridgewater, Mariota, Tyrod or Winston but I’m hooding we do the latter and not trade a pick or 2 to get Wentz or Jimmy G.

I think Kyle Hamilton goes too 5, if not top 10, I’ll be shocked if he’s fall to us at 11. If we trade for Watson I’m assuming we’d have to trade #1 so we wouldn’t be able to draft Hamilton anyways… correct?

Yea, if we trade for Watson? We most likely won't have the #11 pick.

Of course, it's not impossible.

There could always be a deal like...

2022=2nd & 3rd

2023=1st & 2nd

2024=1st & 2nd

DT Daron Payne

But if that we're to happen, I would be advocating on trading down from @#11 anyways.

(Unless Kyle Hamilton happen to be there at 11)

He's the type of player you don't pass up, if he's there.

Which is why I'll be shocked too, if he's sitting there at 11.

On 3/6/2022 at 10:49 AM, Skinsin2013 said:

No to this.

Well the pint of this mock off-season wasn’t to put forth what I’d do, it was to put forth what we’ll end up doing after we can’t trade for the top QBs. Just trying to be realistic.

• Like 1

Well I’ve already swung and missed on my guess at QB. 😂 

Seeing that we traded for Wentz, I don’t see us going QB in round 1. If the rumor is true and we don’t re-sign McKissic, I think in round 4 or 5 we’ll take a RB.

So I’m not changing up my FA predictions much except that McKissic won’t be back & we won’t be able to afford Quandre Diggs so we’ll go FS in rind 2. So here goes my new draft prediction:

Round 1: Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State

Round 2: Lewis Cine, FS, Georgia 

Round 4: Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State 

Round 6: Brian Robinson, RB, Alabama 

Round 7: Josh Sills, G, Ok St.

Round 7: Tyler Goodson, RB, Iowa

• Like 2