Browns Franchise Tag TE David Njoku

sdrawkcab321

20 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

He’s as JAGged of a tight end as we will have. I’m really not even sure what he gives us. 

Aaron Shea, Steve Heiden, Gary Barnidge. The tradition continues. 

Steve Heiden was infinitely better than him. SHAME ON YOU!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, buno67 said:

No he doesn’t need to be thrown the ball 7+ Times a game. heck with that mindset, he will put up stats just because of the volume. If you narrow down the games where he has 7 targets or more, nothing pops out. Njoku has always looked like Tarzan and plays like Jane for awhile now. 

even when he had the role you are leeching about back in ‘18, he still was really good. His stats that year for 88 Ish targets was mid tier.

he is trying to get paid like a top10 TE but he has never shown he could be a top10 TE outside of maybe 2 games

I feel like this completely undersells his ability as a blocker and in the RZ. You just said it, his 'best' year in receiving targets was middle of the pack. He has never really been a actual part of the offense on a full time basis.

It seems like people want him to have better stats but also dont want to give him the targets to do so. You think Travis Kelce goes over 1k yards every year with 10+ TDs because Mahomes only targets him 4x per game?

Cant get mad at the guy for not putting up Pro Bowl TE numbers when he gets 1/3 the opportunity to do so as other Pro Bowl TEs. 

Andrews- 9 targets per game. 153 targets. 1,300 yards. 9 TDs

Njoku- 3.5 targets per game. 53 targets. 475 yards. 4 TDs.

Njoku w/ 9 targets per game- 1,425 yards. 12 TDs.

See where I mean it requires actually throwing the football to players in order to accumulate stats? Because Njokus targets are literally 1/3 of Andrews and his production is near 1/3. Its not a perfect science but you get my point. Get targets = get stats = people think your better.

Edited by AkronsWitness

13 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I feel like this completely undersells his ability as a blocker and in the RZ. You just said it, his 'best' year in receiving targets was middle of the pack. He has never really been a actual part of the offense on a full time basis.

It seems like people want him to have better stats but also dont want to give him the targets to do so. You think Travis Kelce goes over 1k yards every year with 10+ TDs because Mahomes only targets him 4x per game?

Cant get mad at the guy for not putting up Pro Bowl TE numbers when he gets 1/3 the opportunity to do so as other Pro Bowl TEs. 

Andrews- 9 targets per game. 153 targets. 1,300 yards. 9 TDs

Njoku- 3.5 targets per game. 53 targets. 475 yards. 4 TDs.

Njoku w/ 9 targets per game- 1,425 yards. 12 TDs.

See where I mean it requires actually throwing the football to players in order to accumulate stats? Because Njokus targets are literally 1/3 of Andrews and his production is near 1/3. Its not a perfect science but you get my point. Get targets = get stats = people think your better.

I get your point and you definitely need volume targets to accumulate volume stats, but you’re leaving out a fairly big point.  Andrews, Kelce, etc., get those targets because they’re getting open and making contested catches, making plays, etc.

Being able to make plays when people know you’re the guy who’s gonna be targeted is entirely different than just making plays when you happen to be the guy left open.  It’s why you can’t just multiple numbers to match targets.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get your point and you definitely need volume targets to accumulate volume stats, but you’re leaving out a fairly big point.  Andrews, Kelce, etc., get those targets because they’re getting open and making contested catches, making plays, etc.

Being able to make plays when people know you’re the guy who’s gonna be targeted is entirely different than just making plays when you happen to be the guy left open.  It’s why you can’t just multiple numbers to match targets.

Sure, but they are also getting those catches/volume because they play a significantly higher amount of snaps than Njoku. Njoku has never had a issue with getting open, he has had a issue with being left on the field in a actual starters role and not splitting time with Austin Hooper which those other TEs dont have.

Andrews/Kelce are like WR1 in their offenses. Njoku has been like the WR5 in the Browns pecking order of who they actually call plays for. I dont know if Stefanskis plan for any week has been 'we have to get Njoku involved' whereas that is the case for Andrews/Kelce every single week.

Commit Stefanski. Commit to making him WR2 and making him a big part of the gameplan each week and you will have a 1,000 yard 10TD Tight End on your team.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Sure, but they are also getting those catches/volume because they play a significantly higher amount of snaps than Njoku. Njoku has never had a issue with getting open, he has had a issue with being left on the field in a actual starters role and not splitting time with Austin Hooper which those other TEs dont have.

He’s had issues with blocking and drops that have limited his snaps.  He’s never just went out and dominated on a limited snap basis.

And he’s been in the 5 years now.  He’s not lacked opportunities tbh.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I’m gathering you’re half serious here but I definitely think Heiden and Barnidge were better players than what we’ve seen from Hooper.

Oh no, I'm dead serious. Steve Heiden was a great blocker and solid pass catcher when we had no offense at all whatsoever. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s never just went out and dominated...

And he’s been in the 5 years now.  He’s not lacked opportunities tbh.

Quoting this for a future argument that hopefully will never happen in regards to Baker when he shuts me up this year or something else

Just now, MWil23 said:

Quoting this for a future argument that hopefully will never happen in regards to Baker when he shuts me up this year or something else

I’d argue Baker has shown far more consistent play for much longer stretches.  His high points have also been much higher than Njoku’s.

Njoku has like one or two really good games in his career.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d argue Baker has shown far more consistent play for much longer stretches.  

He's been consistent in turning the ball over with failing against pressure and taking a high volume amount of sacks due to creating them himself. But yes, let's hope for "even year Baker" tbh.

His high points have also been much higher than Njoku’s.

I agree

Njoku has like one or two really good games in his career.

Even still, I think he's a legitimately viable Red Zone threat and has produced there when given opportunities. I don't think he's a legitimate starting quality TE, but he is a solid Red Zone guy and should be used there more often, whether that's in the slot or flexed out wide.