2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

The Pickett pick has grown on me.   Maybe its just me accepting it, but I will say that I kinda felt similarly about Mahomes when he came out, in regards to needing a particularly good situation to maximize his chances of success in the NFL.   Im not saying Pickett was the same quality prospect or will be anywhere close to Mahomes....but I believe he has enough tools to win.    Would I have bet a the 20th pick on it?   No....but I get why they did.

In the end, this draft could go either way.   Its a very boom/bust type draft, and I wasn't immediately happy about that, but the more I think about it...the more I think its the type of draft we kinda needed.   Risky yes...but possibly a draft that sets this team up nicely for a decade if we get even merely good players out of the first 3 or 4 picks.

Oddly enough, Pickett is probably the "safest" pick.   I think he is at least a QB who can help Tomlin avoid losing seasons...even if only barely.     Even if we only get a Derek Carr level player out of him...Ill be happy.

Okay...enough of this optimistic ****....:D

Edited by 43M
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, August4th said:

I think Pat freiermuth is a guy to watch for a breakout yr. I can see 80-85 catches, 900 yards and 10+ TD's from him. that's a pro bowl yr. I just hope his concussions are a thing of the past.

I think it'll be hard for one weapon to go off like this. There are so many pass catching threats. I'd love to see it happen, though. Pat's a stud. 

12 hours ago, August4th said:

I think Pat freiermuth is a guy to watch for a breakout yr. I can see 80-85 catches, 900 yards and 10+ TD's from him. that's a pro bowl yr. I just hope his concussions are a thing of the past.

Idk if Mitch or Kenny will target him in the red zone like Ben did but they would be messing up big time if they don’t. Guy catches everything. 

15 hours ago, August4th said:

Cant really compare them since its much harder to pass over the middle in the NFL than it is in college.

That being said, I doubt whoever starts is as bad as Ben was last year.   Not because they'll be good, but because Ben was just that bad.

I better start seeing something out of this Canada offense.   Last year Ben got blamed due to his limitations and supposed unwillingness to play Canadas offense.   Those excuses will no longer be there.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Because he's 5'8 

As @Blitzburgh stated, I think its more about his weight and frame than his height.    His height alone woulsnt drop him THAT much.    

Still, I think we got 2 of the top 10 WRs in this draft, and both have nice upside, so Im happy about that given the crazy obsession with overdrafting and overpaying for WRs this year.

23 hours ago, August4th said:

I've seen Austin get a ton a praise, so why did so many wideouts go before him?

I know a scout who said a lot of teams felt like Austin was going to be a scheme open kind of guy because when a defender gets hands on him he wouldn’t get open. As much as rules are opening up for guys like that to find success many teams still want the classic 6’2” 220 big handed strong WR. 

I don’t have any to share because I watched them earlier, but I’m not sure how I can express how excited I am for Calvin Austin. Those feet man! He looks so clean in cuts. 

Also, 14 is a terrible number. Do the Steelers just hand guys whatever and they pick once cuts happen? I honestly can’t remember. But I also can’t remember a time I was this disappointed about a rookies number (for Pickens) 

Edited by Dcash4

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I don’t have any to share because I watched them earlier, but I’m not sure how I can express how excited I am for Calvin Austin. Those feet man! He looks so clean in cuts. 

Also, 14 is a terrible number. Do the Steelers just hand guys whatever and they pick once cuts happen? I honestly can’t remember. But I also can’t remember a time I was this disappointed about a rookies number (for Pickens) 

Yeah....last thing I want to associate Pickens with is Limas Sweed.

• Like 1