2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Future years cap is a really stupid reason in my opinion to be OK with this deal. It's kind of what you are already saying, Future years cap is what makes this deal even worse. We are paying an offensive tackle l More than we've paid any tackle in steelers history He is probably one of the worst starting tackles in the NFL. If you were gonna give him this contact you should have let him walk and let banner have a chance and yet for whatever reason they still haven't cut players who deserve to be cut. It doesn't matter how much icing you put on that cake  If you didn't make it it still gonna taste like crap

My thing isn't that they resigned him.  My issue is they know what he is, had a line, and let other teams offers effect theirs.  They were so good at so long of knowing someone's contract value, drawing the line in the sand, and if that line was crossed then see ya later.

Like, it makes me question if they had a higher line and thought that $24mil total value was a deal?  Or did they let the market affect their offer and now they are paying him more than they wanted?  Are they scared of overhauling the line again?  Like, the decision making that went into this that we know from the outside looking in is not making sense based on what they have done.

That's what I'm calling out on this.  And yes the structure of the contract irks me some with the backloading.  It feels as though Colbert wants to go out with a one year thing rather than having that lasting impact on the franchise by setting up the future like Newsome did.  

In fact for people trying to simplify the feelings of this to just the deal: I doubt they think Chuks is worth a 1 year $10.5mil deal.  Especially when you are keeping Haeg and Banner, and Moore is your presumed starter.  Either this means you don't think Banner or Haeg is a starter, and Haeg started over Banner, and Banner has the highest cap hit of all the tackles.

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So ok, let's say you are fine with this deal; consider this:

Why not front load it?

We've come out of years of backloading deals and constantly working up against the cap and losing players.  KC has said this is his end, and someone new will be running the team next year.  Even if you want this to be a 'glorified' one year deal, why not help your predecessor.  There's the space (especially if you cut Banner and Schobert, restructure TJ Watt) to have that $13mil hit this year.  That way when the new GM comes in there's additional space there, or his hit is minimal for less to be cut if you chose to move on from him.

A)It buys them a year to see if he improves before the big $$$ kicks in.

B)They can more easily handle a $4.25 mill cap hit this year rather than a $13 mill cap hit

C)A $6 mill dead cap hit in an offseason where they’re going to have 3-4x more cap space than this year makes him easier to cut if necessary.

D)The 2023 and 2024 $4 mill roster bonuses show that he’s basically on a 1 year prove it deal.

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

He has me blocked om Twitter. No idea why.

I've noticed he blocks a lot of people that don't understand he's a double sided schtick at times.  Make fun of the yinzers who think we can get anyone, but also make fun of people who just think everything the franchise does is great.

1 minute ago, AFF said:

A)It buys them a year to see if he improves before the big $$$ kicks in.

B)They can more easily handle a $4.25 mill cap hit this year rather than a $13 mill cap hit

C)A $6 mill dead cap hit in an offseason where they’re going to have 3-4x more cap space than this year makes him easier to cut if necessary.

D)The 2023 and 2024 $4 mill roster bonuses show that he’s basically on a 1 year prove it deal.

A) Who gives a crap.  You GTD him $10.5 mil, just do it in one year.

B) This is a dumb point to me.  So if he's ok you think he's worth a $13mil cap hit next year?

C) Oh so more of this BS of "screw the future".  

D) Show me a Steelers contract without that.

Some of you guys need to get out of the Pittsburgh Steelers rooms and invite in the rest of the NFL. Stop listening to local voices and go to people that cover the sport nationally. 

Fans worry so much more about the cap space than actual NFL teams. 

Why backload it? Because A) You can get out of it and B) because the cap just jumped $26M YOY, is projected to jump another $26M YOY, and with the new TV money we will see go even higher. Some are projecting it to be in the $250/260's within 2 years of the new money. 

Why does Aaron Rodgers get $50M? Because the cap goes up. Why do contracts get larger every year? Because the cap goes up. 

If you want to talk about the actual bringing back of Chuks -- lets do it. If you focus on a $10M hit that is spread over 2 years and that WORRIES YOU....I am out, because you clearly don't understand the financials and how it works across the NFL at large and just want to me mad at Steelers things because they are the Steelers. 

I don't love the Chuks move, and I say that as someone who thinks he is much better than the crowd....but $10M spread across 2 years is not something to get twisted about. So can we move on?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Some of you guys need to get out of the Pittsburgh Steelers rooms and invite in the rest of the NFL. Stop listening to local voices and go to people that cover the sport nationally. 

Fans worry so much more about the cap space than actual NFL teams. 

Why backload it? Because A) You can get out of it and B) because the cap just jumped $26M YOY, is projected to jump another $26M YOY, and with the new TV money we will see go even higher. Some are projecting it to be in the $250/260's within 2 years of the new money. 

Why does Aaron Rodgers get $50M? Because the cap goes up. Why do contracts get larger every year? Because the cap goes up. 

If you want to talk about the actual bringing back of Chuks -- lets do it. If you focus on a $10M hit that is spread over 2 years and that WORRIES YOU....I am out, because you clearly don't understand the financials and how it works across the NFL at large and just want to me mad at Steelers things because they are the Steelers. 

I don't love the Chuks move, and I say that as someone who thinks he is much better than the crowd....but $10M spread across 2 years is not something to get twisted about. So can we move on?

So now we have resorted to comparing Aaron Rodgers to Okorafor?

With the utmost respect I think that it's a laugh about some of us needing to leave this is this steelers' room and more about some people needing to stop thinking that they're right all the time. It does not make sense to overpay somebody who was worse than mediocre last season just because yjust because you don't currently have a better option on the roster. The idea should be to go and get a better option, and while that isn't always easy, Colbert proven they've got no interest in thst.

Edited by wwhickok
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

more about some people needing to stop thinking that they're right all the time.

This ^^

Especially when what made the Steelers front office the best for so long is they were doing things no one else was doing.  But now everyone is doing it that way, so be different again.

5 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

It does not make sense to overpay somebody who was worse than mediocre last season just because yjust because you don't currently have a better option on the roster. The idea should be to go and get a better option, and while that isn't always easy, Colbert proven they've got no interest in thst.

Especially when we've heard for 5 straight years from ownership that the run game needs to get better.  Bringing back a low end tackle who's poor in run blocking, a penalty machine, and giving up hits and hurries for top tackle money makes no sense.  

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.  That's where some on this board is.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

You can't separate the two right now.

Chuks is a bottom 1/5th OT based on performance.  He got paid as a top 8 RT.

• Like 1

And don't take me wrong, I could be wrong about the players we are signing and everything they could turn into all pro players. I think the chances that they do is like pretty astronomically small but but I'm simply expressing how I view it right now but the fact of the matter is th matter is that there are several people that are coming across like I am wrong for viewing it that way and that it doesn't make sense to view it the way I do. Where is in reality in my opinion it doesn't make sense to believe that what we're doing right now financially makes sense

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

A) Who gives a crap.  You GTD him $10.5 mil, just do it in one year.

B) This is a dumb point to me.  So if he's ok you think he's worth a $13mil cap hit next year?

C) Oh so more of this BS of "screw the future".  

D) Show me a Steelers contract without that.

Calm down dude…you’re obviously way too mad over something that you should’ve expected to happen since they’re not going to overhaul all 5 spots on the OL…take a breather.

A) He was getting a starting gig/contract somewhere and the Steelers felt it was ok to GTD him $10.5 mill but they structured it in a way that it allowed them to take him year by year and give them a back door.

B)If he’s ok…no….but again they can handle $4.25 mill much easier than front loading it into a $13 mill cap hit cause a $13 mill cap hit would’ve taken 40% of their projected cap room this offseason which you woulda really lost your ——

C)Screw the future?…it’s a simple ratio analysis. $6 mill in an offseason  where your going to be near triple digits in cap space is fine to see if he’s your RT going forward….it’s literally 6% .

D) Roster bonuses off the top of my head are general in our bigger long term contracts most of the time…however I can’t remember  them doing this in back to back years on a shorter term deal with a non elite player.

Just take a breathe, it’s going to be a long transition year on this board.

1 minute ago, AFF said:

Calm down dude…you’re obviously way too mad over something that you should’ve expected to happen since they’re not going to overhaul all 5 spots on the OL…take a breather.

This is condescending as hell and complete BS to use.

All I know is I'm looking forward to saying I told you so when this team is average again and ya'll are crying about these guys.  You all talk about how you expect this team to compete then make excuses and use random reasons to justify bringing back players for more than anyone else offered and keeping guys that were part of subpar units.

Welcome to 9-8/8-9 mediocrity yet again.  Hope ya'll like this.