2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

Bored so I'll run through my dream scenario for draft and FA:

- Sign Tyrann 

- Re-sign JuJu (if very team friendly)

- Re-sign Witherspoon

Draft: Address IOL, DL, Edge, WR in the first 4 rounds (unless Willis falls to 20)

I feel almost certain we will go DL in the first 2 rounds if one they like is sitting there. That position torpedoed our defense last year and they haven't addressed it in FA so I'm assuming they want to go young and address it in the draft. They would be fools to rely on Tuitt and Alualu to stay healthy the whole season. 

I hope they don't settle for just turning the o-line from awful to decent. I would not be opposed to adding Linderbaum, Kenyon Greene, or Zion Johnson in the 1st. 

1. Devonte Wyatt, DL Georgia

2. George Pickens, WR Georgia

3. Nik Bonitto, Edge Oklahoma

4. Dylan Parham, IOL Memphis

You could argue that this roster is younger and improved at every single position group. This roster could win the AFC North IMO. Not to mention we might still have some salary cap to work with. 

QB: Trubisky

RB: Najee

WR: DJ, Claypool, JuJu, Pickens

TE: Friermuth

LT: Dan Moore

LG: James Daniels, Kendrick Green

C Mason Cole, Dylan Parham

RG: Kevin Dotson

RT: Chuks

DE: Stephon Tuitt/ Devonte Wyatt

NT: Tyson Alualu

DE: Cam Heyward

EDGE: Alex Highsmith/ Nik Bonitto

MLB: Devin Bush

MLB: Myles Jack

EDGE: TJ Watt

CB: Witherspoon/Levi Wallace/Cam Sutton

FS: Minkah Fitzpatrick

SS: Tyrann Matheiu 

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Bored so I'll run through my dream scenario for draft and FA:

- Sign Tyrann 

- Re-sign JuJu (if very team friendly)

- Re-sign Witherspoon

Draft: Address IOL, DL, Edge, WR in the first 4 rounds (unless Willis falls to 20)

I feel almost certain we will go DL in the first 2 rounds if one they like is sitting there. That position torpedoed our defense last year and they haven't addressed it in FA so I'm assuming they want to go young and address it in the draft. They would be fools to rely on Tuitt and Alualu to stay healthy the whole season. 

I hope they don't settle for just turning the o-line from awful to decent. I would not be opposed to adding Linderbaum, Kenyon Greene, or Zion Johnson in the 1st. 

1. Devonte Wyatt, DL Georgia

2. George Pickens, WR Georgia

3. Nik Bonitto, Edge Oklahoma

4. Dylan Parham, IOL Memphis

You could argue that this roster is younger and improved at every single position group. This roster could win the AFC North IMO. Not to mention we might still have some salary cap to work with. 

QB: Trubisky

RB: Najee

WR: DJ, Claypool, JuJu, Pickens

TE: Friermuth

LT: Dan Moore

LG: James Daniels, Kendrick Green

C Mason Cole, Dylan Parham

RG: Kevin Dotson

RT: Chuks

DE: Stephon Tuitt/ Devonte Wyatt

NT: Tyson Alualu

DE: Cam Heyward

EDGE: Alex Highsmith/ Nik Bonitto

MLB: Devin Bush

MLB: Myles Jack

EDGE: TJ Watt

CB: Witherspoon/Levi Wallace/Cam Sutton

FS: Minkah Fitzpatrick

SS: Tyrann Matheiu 

On board with your free agent signings.   Not loving Juju back, but for the right price, so be it.    

Dont care much for the draft, though.  Okay with the positions in rd 1 and 2, but not a fan of pass rusher that early and dont at all understand drafting an IOL that late given that we already have a stable of five young, developmental IOL.   

What an amazing 'ride' these past couple of days has been; exactly the type of FA that a lot of Steelers' fans have dreamt about for years, lol.  Me Personally, I love every single move we've made--yes, even Chuks.  If he, actually, had a couple of other suitors, for similar money, but decided to see if the Steelers could 'compete', that tells me he really wants to be here, but he needs to get his market value.  Like it or not, Chuks and Moore Jr. were our best 2 OL last year, and still have upside.  For as bad as our OL was, the large majority of the issues were our 'inferior interior' (see what I did there, lol).  Anyway, they've been replaced/shuffled, with the bringing in of Daniels and Cole, and the way Chuks' contract is structured, it leaves us with 'exit' options next season, if things don't pan out.

Trubisky is exactly the guy I wanted us to bring in, as I mentioned here, a few weeks back.  And at $7M?  That's a steal, for the guy who is likely going to be our 'bridge' starting QB for a year or two.  He is exactly the type of QB Tomlin stated he wanted.  Not to mention, were Trubisky entering the draft this year, with the eval/profile he had back in 2017, he'd easily be the top rated QB in this class. Despite what the media is spewing, there is no QB 'competition'; Trubisky is our starting QB for, at a minimum, half the season if they bring in a rookie.  Seriously, is there any doubt that Trubisky is better than any QB on our roster?

The two best signings, however, were Daniels and Jack.  Both were very fair deals, and immediate improvements, which, in turn, led to the shedding of two contracts (Banner/Schobert).  And then Cole was a nice extra bonus.

And lastly, the addition of Levi Wallace at $4M per?  For a guy who has shown the ability start on the outside in this league?  Sure, we are 'speed challenged' with our CBs, but I have no doubt that we'll bring in a speed guy, via the draft, on Day 1 or 2.

Overall, this has been an amazing FA, on paper, of course, haha...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 43M said:

On board with your free agent signings.   Not loving Juju back, but for the right price, so be it.    

Dont care much for the draft, though.  Okay with the positions in rd 1 and 2, but not a fan of pass rusher that early and dont at all understand drafting an IOL that late given that we already have a stable of five young, developmental IOL.   

What’s our current plan at backup to TJ and Highsmith? Taco Charlton? We need 3 guys IMO. This could definitely be addressed with a vet in FA though but why not get a young stud in there in addition to a FA? You can never have too many and I’ve seen guys like Charlton and Derrek Tusczka on the field way too much recently.

The IOL pick is a personal preference. I view everyone there besides Daniels (Green, Cole, Dotson) as far from sure things so more young talent there helps. I realize a more realistic pick in the top 4 rounds is probably OT, CB, QB etc (but I don’t trust them to draft DB and the only QB I like in this draft is Willis/maybe Ridder)

A more realistic version of this would have probably had us trade up for Willis. 

What’s our current plan at backup to TJ and Highsmith? Taco Charlton? We need 3 guys IMO. This could definitely be addressed with a vet in FA though but why not get a young stud in there in addition to a FA? You can never have too many and I’ve seen guys like Charlton and Derrek Tusczka on the field way too much recently.

I dont disagree with the logic in general, but its more about the situation.  

Im not opposed to getting another pass rusher in general, but we have too many positions we are weaker at, and 3rd round is still a point where you can get difference makers at positions of need.     If we had a stronger roster, I wouldnt care, but thats not the case.

Id much rather see us go CB or even safety there (Matthieu doesnt tend to stick around long and he can be injury prone), and then maybe go pass rusher in rd 4 or 6, and bring in a cheap FA.

Ill be doing my own soon, so you can tear mine apart.   😉

The IOL pick is a personal preference. I view everyone there besides Daniels (Green, Cole, Dotson) as far from sure things so more young talent there helps. I realize a more realistic pick in the top 4 rounds is probably OT, CB, QB etc (but I don’t trust them to draft DB and the only QB I like in this draft is Willis/maybe Ridder)

Again, you arent wrong, but a 4th round pick is just another developmental piece.    Its just overkill considering what we have at IOL.

Competition is good everywhere, but Green and Dotson will pretty much undoubtedly be on the roster this year, and Leglue showed a little promise.   Yes, nothing special...but alot more young competition than we currently have at other positions.

If we go OLine, Id rather just go all out and draft a top talent in round one or 2 to compete for starter.    If they dont draft one that early, I would just go into the season with what we have and maybe a UDFA or cheap FA.

A more realistic version of this would have probably had us trade up for Willis. 

Ill be ******* sick if that happens, but I wont be shocked.

24 minutes ago, BradfordSteeler said:

I love the work Colbert and the FO have done so far. Every move has a super low cap hit this year and maximises flexibility for the new GM coming in if they don't want to keep them

One of my favorite parts is their ages and the experience with those ages. James Daniel was the 3rd youngest guy at his position available and been a 4 year starter. Myles Jack is like 5-6th youngest at ILB and is a 6 year starter. Levi Wallace is 26 with 4 years starting experience. The Chuks number is a bit out of wack, but he is the youngest T available. 

Not that I expected them to have big markets, but it's just also interesting none of our guys from last year have signed anywhere yet. Just something to watch. Witherspoon, Haden, Edmunds, JuJu, Ray-Ray -- all make sense on team friendly markets to bring back. Even a guy like Ebron fits as a 3rd/flex TE on the right deal. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Ill be ******* sick if that happens, but I wont be shocked.

Unfortunately the writing is kind of on the wall. Doing this exercise made me realize this could potentially be the first time in a long time we will not be expecting our 1st round pick to be a day 1 starter, assuming we bring Edmunds/JuJu/Witherspoon back (kind of wild to think about considering where we were a week ago). That leaves QB as the most obvious choice IMO.

Now for the good news…rumors are the Saints are front runners for Watson. That would basically leave Atlanta, Seattle, and Panthers in front of us. All 3 of those teams have TONS of holes, will they fall in love with Willis enough to ignore all those holes and take him in the top 10? I have my doubts.

The Panthers are the most likely and that’s fine because we don’t have to worry about trading all the way up to 5. And if they take him then oh well, we wait until 2023 and see what Mitch can do. Panthers are also linked to Pickett through Matt Rhule so we’ll see. 

Seahawks are so far behind, I could see them pulling a Lions and just rolling with Lock for a year and focusing on filling their other holes.

Falcons roster is completely depleted, I could see them rolling with Matt Ryan for another year and going QB in 2023.

We still have some dominoes to fall in the QB landscape.