2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I was thinking the same. I’m hoping for Jameson Williams and someone like Alec Pierce or Justyn Ross. The WR class is kind of deep and unpredictable, I think it could happen. 

If they internally have a hard time giving DJ an AAV of $20 mill then they should absolutely double dip.

1)Williams

2)DB

3)Pierce

4) DL

Would be a decent example.

4 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

I may be late but I seen Tomlin ran George Pickens through his drills? Dark horse 1st round? 

Has Tomlin ever ran someone through their drills before? 

I honestly would not hate that pick. I’m definitely warming up to the idea of taking a WR in round 1 and Pickens is a 1st round talent. 

Would definitely still prefer Jameson Williams, Wilson, and probably Olave but I’d be fine taking him over London, Burks, and Dotson.

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

What about Trevor Penning?

As @jebrick stated, I think they are largely going to be content with OT this year.  They just paid Chuks and I think they are going to give Dan Moore another year to grow.

I would have much preferred we let Chuks walk, but since we didnt, I doubt we go OT early.

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

On a random note, would you be ok with Chad Muma or any of the QBs in rd 2?

Dont know much about Muma.

Absolutely not to QB unless Willis or Pickett freefall to us in rd 2.

1 hour ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

I know they are a loyal team, and I love them for that, but at some point you have to say we need a decision. That point was before FA started. They’re gambling with the rest of the whole team for one person, and that’s not the way you have to play it in the NFL. I know it’s a tough situation he’s in, I lost my parents to a drunk driver, but you have to move on in life in one direction or another in order to advance in life. My thoughts are with him, but the team needs to know what’s happening and that’s a failure of the front office. 

I’m very willing to say that it’s an 85% chance he was just trying to toe the line of respecting Tuitt and promoting Wormley and some of that gets lost in translation…

But it’s just so odd that Colbert has 20 years of experience and a years worth of PR weekly roll calls on talking points for this situation — yet it seems like being asked about Tuitt caught him by surprise. 

I really assumed after last year they would have a hard deadline and that any uncertainty would lead to a decision…but this quote makes me think it’s a lot more fluid than that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

This quote is….less than encouraging. There’s no way they got this far into the off-season without really knowing after last year…..is there? 

It’s extremely discouraging as you can get someone easily right not. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

What are everyone thoughts on Jabrill Peppers or Ronnie Harrison? Peppers is 26 and Harrison is 25 and I think both will be cheaper than Matheiu and upgrades over Edmunds. 

I liked them both coming out of college, but I don’t know much about either as NFL players. 

I think the 4th QB thing is a little overblown in terms of dictating that the Steelers will take a QB high. The rock star of our 4th QB's on the roster over the last few years has been Josh Dobbs. They sign an arm for camp, not usually someone who has an active shot at the roster. 

And it's obviously different this year because we moved on from our Franchise guy, but they will always carry 4, so that part isn't surprising. If they like Mason, Trubisky, and Haskins enough to not draft one, there really isn't anymore room other than an arm for camp. 

Our last 4th QBs: Dobbs, Lynch, Duck, Jones/Dobbs, Vaughan, Boyd, Kay, John Parker Wilson, Jerrod Johnson

They definitely will grab a 4th QB...but needing a 4th QB on roster is not a precursor to them being impactful. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m very willing to say that it’s an 85% chance he was just trying to toe the line of respecting Tuitt and promoting Wormley and some of that gets lost in translation…

But it’s just so odd that Colbert has 20 years of experience and a years worth of PR weekly roll calls on talking points for this situation — yet it seems like being asked about Tuitt caught him by surprise. 

I really assumed after last year they would have a hard deadline and that any uncertainty would lead to a decision…but this quote makes me think it’s a lot more fluid than that. 

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Welcome to the other side! 

LOL

Just kidding.

Sort of.

But in reality there's still a bunch of issues out there if you ask me that Tomlin and Colbert comments gloss over.  They may feel comfortable with the WR room without adding more and lays the impression that Ben was the issue or they think it was fine.  I think it's still got a bunch of crap wrong with it.  They say they feel comfortable with the starters at CB (through the we don't feel the need to add more players) but Wallace has always played with a stud CB across from him and Witherspoon has been quite up and down in his career.  I feel the same way about the ILB spot.

But the not having clarity in the Tuitt situation and not doing something like going out and getting Akeem Hicks seems like a dangerous play to me.  We saw how much worse the front line was without Tuitt and Alualu.  And not doing anything to improve that room scares me.  I think you get a guy like Hicks, and if Tuitt is playing, awesome you got an incredibly deep position room.  And if Tuitt isn't playing you got a starter and backups are playing backup roles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Welcome to the other side! 

LOL

Just kidding.

Sort of.

But in reality there's still a bunch of issues out there if you ask me that Tomlin and Colbert comments gloss over.  They may feel comfortable with the WR room without adding more and lays the impression that Ben was the issue or they think it was fine.  I think it's still got a bunch of crap wrong with it.  They say they feel comfortable with the starters at CB (through the we don't feel the need to add more players) but Wallace has always played with a stud CB across from him and Witherspoon has been quite up and down in his career.  I feel the same way about the ILB spot.

But the not having clarity in the Tuitt situation and not doing something like going out and getting Akeem Hicks seems like a dangerous play to me.  We saw how much worse the front line was without Tuitt and Alualu.  And not doing anything to improve that room scares me.  I think you get a guy like Hicks, and if Tuitt is playing, awesome you got an incredibly deep position room.  And if Tuitt isn't playing you got a starter and backups are playing backup roles.

How can u come into a season so nonchalantly, after having been the worst ranked run defense? I don’t get it.  If there’s even a 1% chance that Tuitt isn’t coming back, your other starter is frickin 33 years old! U got to address that position, it’s that important when u try to run a hybrid nickel as your base, as they seem to wanna do. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

https://nfltraderumors.co/steelers-expected-to-sign-lb-genard-avery/

Steelers appear to be signing Genard Avery. He was a favorite of mine and a lot of others when he came out. I remember thinking he’d fit better at ILB rather than EDGE. We’ll see what we have in store.

I'd be surprised if they didn't sign him as an Edge but I could be wrong .