2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

11 minutes ago, August4th said:

not surprising with how young the offense is.. is Mitch and a few of the linemen the only guys not on rookie contracts?

Without looking, Mitch, Daniels, Mason Cole, Chuks, Gunner, Watt? I think that’s it. 

Id be willing to be Derek Watt is the oldest too. They just ripped that side down to the studs for the rebuild. I kinda have really enjoyed that they seem to be doing. Just go super young, put multiple guys in positions to fight for jobs and see what happens.  

59 minutes ago, August4th said:

not surprising with how young the offense is.. is Mitch and a few of the linemen the only guys not on rookie contracts?

And one of them (Cole) is on a contract that’s about on par with a 2nd round pick. 

47 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Without looking, Mitch, Daniels, Mason Cole, Chuks, Gunner, Watt? I think that’s it. 

Id be willing to be Derek Watt is the oldest too. They just ripped that side down to the studs for the rebuild. I kinda have really enjoyed that they seem to be doing. Just go super young, put multiple guys in positions to fight for jobs and see what happens.  

Haeg and Watt are 29, Chaz Green is 30. 

Want crazy? 3 youngest starters are Bush, Claypool, and Friermuth at 23. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, warfelg said:

For craps and giggles I decided to run a bunch of different sites with mock drafts.  So here they are:

THEDRAFTNETWORK.COM:

20 Desmond Ridder QB Cincinnati

52 Roger McCreary CB Auburn

84 Jalen Tolbert WR South Alabama

138 John Ridgewar IDL Arkansas

208 Tariq Castro-Fields CB Penn State

225 Micah McFadden LB Indiana

241 Tanner Conner WR Idaho State

Thoughts on this draft: Don't love it since QB's went fast and no need players were there without a reach.  However picks 52, 84, 138 fell awesomely for me and that's a CB1, WR1, and a NTotF.  Conner and Castro-Fields give some very high upside guys to be had later in the draft.

PFF.COM:

Traded 20 for 22 and 92

22 Andrew Booth Jr CB Clemson

52 George Pickens WR Georgia

84 Nick Cross S Maryland

92 Kellen Diesch OT Arizona State

138 Kyren Williams RB Notre Dame

208 Aaron Hansford LB Texas A&M

225 Malachi Carter WR Georgia Tech

241 Jack Coan QB Notre Dame

Thoughts on this draft: I like how it started.  The trade was nice, as was Booth and Pickens.  Then the bottom fell out on me fast.  Cross is nice, but Dietch is a luxury.  Williams is ok but was the best bet.  The last three are bodies to have in camp and maybe make the team.

FANSPEAK.COM:

20 Chris Olave WR Ohio State

52 Lewis Cine S Georgia

84 Travis Jones NT Connecticut

138 Hassan Haskins RB Michigan

208 Vincent Gray CB Michigan

225 Danny Gray WR SMU

241 Cade Hall EDGE San Jose State

Thoughts on this draft: Though Olave wasn't really scouted he's a falling talent in this mock.  And I wouldn't hate it.  Even the Gray's have a chance of being something in the NFL.  This could be a draft you get 5 starters and 2 backups come from.

PFN.COM:

Traded 20 for 44, 78, 99, 2023 Cleveland 2nd

44 Travis Jones DT Connecticut

52 Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

78 Jalen Tolbert WR South Alabama

84 Nick Cross S Maryland

Traded 99 and 241 for 102 and 2023 Miami 5th

102 Kaleb Eleby QB Western Michigan

138 Zyon McCollum CB Sam Houston State

208 Micah McFadden LB Indiana

225 Eyioma Uwazurike DT Iowa State

Thoughts on this draft: I know that trade isn't very Colbert like, but man that is amazing value for 20.  Adds to the war chest to move up next year but adds to the team this year as well.  Jones is a starter at NT in the future.  Dotson and Tolbert would complement each other so well in the passing game.  Cross is a guy I like as a mid-round safety.  I also like McCollum as a developmental long rangy corner.

The PFN draft is my favorite followed by PFF for the 1st 3 pix alone.  I noticed you have Jones going 44 in one and 84 in another.  Obviously you never know until Draft Day but if he made to our 3rd pick I'd be shocked and ecstatic (assuming they take him 🥺). McCreary and Tolbert would be great gets but a 1st Rd QB ruins it for me but of the three it may be the closest to reality. 

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Safeties tend to fall cone draft day….it’s not out of the question.

Certainly not out of the question but Man, I've seen "experts" having him rated as the best overall prospect in the draft.  Obviously position plays a big part but dropping to 20 would be a crazy, but welcomed, scenario. 

4 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Certainly not out of the question but Man, I've seen "experts" having him rated as the best overall prospect in the draft.  Obviously position plays a big part but dropping to 20 would be a crazy, but welcomed, scenario. 

Think Derwin James.  He fell to 17 and was a better prospect.  I honestly dont think it happens, but it could.  

If they think he is the next Polamalu, I hope they go up and get him. 

1 hour ago, Blitzburgh said:

Think Derwin James.  He fell to 17 and was a better prospect.  I honestly dont think it happens, but it could.  

If they think he is the next Polamalu, I hope they go up and get him. 

I mean it could happen and I hope it does but I don't think many had Derwin as the #1 overall best player. In fact, he wasn't even the 1st Safety taken (our guy Minkah was). But I think we're just hashing out minor details. It seems we both think Hamilton is a top tier prospect that if he somehow falls, as has happened before, hopefully we scoop him up. 

12 hours ago, warfelg said:

Haeg and Watt are 29, Chaz Green is 30. 

Want crazy? 3 youngest starters are Bush, Claypool, and Friermuth at 23. 

I completely forgot about Haeg... 

For fun, here I wanted to see the list of our projected starters and ages.

QB: Trubisky, 27
RB: Najee, 24
FB: Watt, 29
TE: Freiermuth, 23 and Gentry, 25
WR: Johnson, 25, Claypool, 23, and Miller 27 (Gunner and Sims both 25)
LT: Moore, 23
LG: Dotson, 25
OC: Cole, 26 (Green, 23)
RG: Daniels, 24
RT: Chuks, 24

And it's likely only going to get younger with a 3rd rookie receiver, potentially a QB like Ridder. 

9 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I completely forgot about Haeg... 

For fun, here I wanted to see the list of our projected starters and ages.

QB: Trubisky, 27
RB: Najee, 24
FB: Watt, 29
TE: Freiermuth, 23 and Gentry, 25
WR: Johnson, 25, Claypool, 23, and Miller 27 (Gunner and Sims both 25)
LT: Moore, 23
LG: Dotson, 25
OC: Cole, 26 (Green, 23)
RG: Daniels, 24
RT: Chuks, 24

And it's likely only going to get younger with a 3rd rookie receiver, potentially a QB like Ridder. 

and its not like this group has no talent. Some of these guys have flashed moments of great play and we have cap space/draft to add to it

38 minutes ago, August4th said:

and its not like this group has no talent. Some of these guys have flashed moments of great play and we have cap space/draft to add to it

Absolutely. I think this is a big learning year. Lot of young guys with experience, but there is still ceiling available with all of them. Chuks is a punching bag for fans, but he is 24 and has show flashes of being good (like against Von Miller). There is a higher ceiling there, or at least a more consistent one. Better this year to see what you have in that young guy rather than paying for a near 30 year old that will be leaving his prime by the time the Steelers *could* have a true contender. 

34 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Absolutely. I think this is a big learning year. Lot of young guys with experience, but there is still ceiling available with all of them. Chuks is a punching bag for fans, but he is 24 and has show flashes of being good (like against Von Miller). There is a higher ceiling there, or at least a more consistent one. Better this year to see what you have in that young guy rather than paying for a near 30 year old that will be leaving his prime by the time the Steelers *could* have a true contender. 

feels like the plan is to have a group of guys gel and grow with each other on that side while the defense carry's the team for a yr or two.