2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd love to bring in Hightower. I doubt he's got a lot left, but he can set a defense and BUCK it up a little. Our defense would be nasty with him. 

Yea that’s the way I feel. Doesn’t have a ton left but even if he can give us something for a year it’s worth it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 43M said:

Well, we desperately needed a training camp QB and a 2nd FB thats the brother of one of our star defensive players.    So actual positions of need are just going to have to wait another year...

Positions of needs aren’t filled with 6th and 7th round picks. Those picks are dart throws at best. 

This was a 4 round draft for us unfortunately. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, August4th said:

our week 1 skill players could be this

Kenny Pickett

Najee Harris

Diontae Johnson, George Pickens, Chase Claypool and Calvin Austin III

Pat Friermuth

so young

The steelers team has gotten a bit stale over the past several years. Whether good or bad, I think this will be a fun team to watch grow over the next few years. I'm hoping they re-sign Diontae though, I think his ability to separate is elite and will assist in the maturation of Pickett.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Positions of needs aren’t filled with 6th and 7th round picks. Those picks are dart throws at best. 

This was a 4 round draft for us unfortunately. 

I agree....but that doesnt mean you waste those picks.   Especially not in the way the Steelers did.

13 minutes ago, 43M said:

I agree....but that doesnt mean you waste those picks.   Especially not in the way the Steelers did.

I mean, but did they waste them? We brought in two special teams contributors and a #4 QB(who could easily be the #3 if Rudolph gets out). They could just as easily not make the team, but that could be said of any 5-7 rounders. 

1 hour ago, Steelers22 said:

The steelers team has gotten a bit stale over the past several years. Whether good or bad, I think this will be a fun team to watch grow over the next few years. I'm hoping they re-sign Diontae though, I think his ability to separate is elite and will assist in the maturation of Pickett.

and they also have a 2nd yr OC. I have no idea what this is going to look like. I'm expecting growing pains, but hopefully we get some positive production from these kids. its a new era

37 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I mean, but did they waste them? We brought in two special teams contributors and a #4 QB(who could easily be the #3 if Rudolph gets out). They could just as easily not make the team, but that could be said of any 5-7 rounders. 

Rudolph isnt getting cut this year, and there really is nothing about Oludakun that looks like he can ever be more than a training camp arm.   Couldve just as easily got that in free agency.

And I have pretty much zero doubt that if it weren't Heywards bro, we wouldn't have drafted him.   That really annoys me.

So yes, while late rounders dont usually amount to much, I feel these picks were almost intentionally wasted.

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

And I have pretty much zero doubt that if it weren't Heywards bro, we wouldn't have drafted him.   That really annoys me.

I disagree on this. Maybe taken a pick too early but he’s a player. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 43M said:

What makes you so confident they were wasted picks?

Im not saying they *weren’t* wasted picks…but I trust our scouts and FO more than myself. Again, they’re dart throws. If one of those picks turns out to be a valuable role player I’ll say it was a success. 

Edit: I posted this without reading your other response. I get why you think Heyward was a wasted pick. But like, I’m not going to get upset about that. I knew going into this draft that it was basically a 4 round draft. I don’t think they would’ve taken him, especially when we had two more picks to follow, if they didn’t think someone else would.

I’m more annoyed they took him while already having a severely underutilized asset in Derek Watt on the roster who essentially provides the same role, nepotism and the absurd amount of money they’re paying him aside.

The QB…whatever they obviously see something they like in him. Even if they just want a Dobbs replacement, it’s a late 7th round pick. I’m judging this draft on the success of Pickett, Pickens, Leal, and Austin. Could honestly care less about what happens with the other guys.

If we want to be mad about something let’s be mad we didn’t have more valuable picks due to the failed Schobert and Avery Williamson trades…

Edited by bigben07MVP

57 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I disagree on this. Maybe taken a pick too early but he’s a player. 

And where does he fit?   Is he replacing Watt?   He isnt a TE as some suggested.  

Player or not, I dont believe we would have drafted him if he weren't Cam's bro.

1 minute ago, 43M said:

And where does he fit?   Is he replacing Watt?   He isnt a TE as some suggested.  

Player or not, I dont believe we would have drafted him if he weren't Cam's bro.

The only reason I will push back on this, and like I mentioned in my previous post, is that they used our 6th on him. I’d like to think/hope they would’ve just waited until the 7th if they were just appealing to Cam. 

14 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

What makes you so confident they were wasted picks?

Im not saying they *weren’t* wasted picks…but I trust our scouts and FO more than myself. Again, they’re dart throws. If one of those picks turns out to be a valuable role player I’ll say it was a success. 

Im not saying Im confident.   Just think they were awful picks.  

If they turn out to contribute, so be it.   Im wrong...good.   I dont believe that will happen.

I’m more annoyed they took him while already having a severely underutilized asset in Derek Watt on the roster who essentially provides the same role, nepotism and the absurd amount of money they’re paying him aside.

Exactly.

6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

The only reason I will push back on this, and like I mentioned in my previous post, is that they used our 6th on him. I’d like to think/hope they would’ve just waited until the 7th if they were just appealing to Cam. 

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Im not saying they didn't like him at all as a player, but I still believe that was a big part of the decision.

Edited by 43M

Heyward's role is playing Special Teams. They can carry him and Watt, and they can both play special teams. I doubt we carry a #3 TE, so why not use that spot on a special teams guy? That's all a #3 TE would do anyway.

I agree that Watt is underutilized, but what's to say he will be this year? It's hard to run a FB in the shotgun, and Ben could hardly take snaps from under center. We could use Watt as a traditional inline FB and Heyward as a wingback or H-Back, but mostly as a ST guy. He doesn't have to be a TE to take the #3 TE's spot on the roster. It's not absurd to roster a player that only plays on ST, so what if he's a RB/FB/TE and not an ILB/OLB/S like our normal ST guys. 

1 hour ago, 43M said:

I feel these picks were almost intentionally wasted.

That's laughable. 

• Like 1