Schefter: OG Brandon Scherff to Jags

e16bball

13 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

So 3 yrs, $52.5 mill $30 guaranteed. $1 mill bonus ProBowl . What do you guys think? Do you think we should have paid him that much - not that he would have signed back with us . 

Nope. That's a $17.5m AAV. I liked Scherff and all, but I don't want to pay a Guard that much money.

But I AM glad THEY paid him that. Hello 3rd round comp pick!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Nope. That's a $17.5m AAV. I liked Scherff and all, but I don't want to pay a Guard that much money.

But I AM glad THEY paid him that. Hello 3rd round comp pick!

Comp pick -it's complicated right ? Spose we sign a guy for half that ? What does that do . drop it to a 5th ? 

3 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Comp pick -it's complicated right ? Spose we sign a guy for half that ? What does that do . drop it to a 5th ? 

Anyone we sign, assuming it isn't a huge name/contract, would likely cancel out Settle's 7th, not Scherff.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Not too complicated. But it does take some time getting familiar with it. I'll post the links below on how they are awarded.

Here's what we have so far:

Scherff gives us a 3rd

Settle gives us a 7th

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks/

And here's some "light reading" about how they are awarded.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-formula/

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

Thanks, you just answerd my next question ! what can we get for Settle. I'd rather have Settle !

Yeah, looking at that deal, I would have rather locked Settle up and tried to move The Greek. That said, I don't blame him for going to Buffalo and reuniting with Edmunds either. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Anyone we sign, assuming it isn't a huge name/contract, would likely cancel out Settle's 7th, not Scherff.

Correct.

From this link

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

1. Quote

1. A CFA gained by a team cancels out the highest-valued available CFA lost that has the same round valuation of the CFA gained.
    2. If there is no available CFA lost in the same round as the CFA gained, the CFA gained will instead cancel out the highest-available CFA lost with a lower round value.
    3. A CFA gained will only cancel out a CFA lost with a higher draft order if there are no other CFAs lost available to cancel out.

Also, Settle's 7th rounder could vanish as other deals are done by other teams. There's only 32 comp picks awarded.

Compensatory Pick Limits

There are two key restrictions that may limit the number of compensatory picks a team may receive, unless they are awarded via 2020 Resolution JC-2A:

• There is a strict limit of 32 compensatory picks that are awarded every year.  If the formula initially awards more than 32 compensatory picks, all picks ranked 33rd and below are not awarded, although the league will still recognize that those picks would have otherwise been eligible for compensation.  (There has only been one exception to this: as noted in the Additional Rules below a 33rd comp pick was collectively bargained upon for 2016.)
  • A team may not be awarded any more than four compensatory picks in one year.  If the formula initially awards a team more than four, the lowest of the picks over the per-team limit of four are not awarded, although the league will still recognize that those picks would have otherwise been eligible for compensation.

•  

25 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Yeah, looking at that deal, I would have rather locked Settle up and tried to move The Greek. That said, I don't blame him for going to Buffalo and reuniting with Edmunds either. 

Why?  Ioanniddis gives us way more pass rush than Settle.  Honestly I feel like people on here have overrated Settle quite a bit. 

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Why?  Ioanniddis gives us way more pass rush than Settle.  Honestly I feel like people on here have overrated Settle quite a bit. 

That's how I feel about the Greek since the 4-3 move. But mostly because *I* believe there isn't much difference between the two, our main rotation guy gets locked up longer, we can maybe get more for The Greek, and more cap space. 

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

That's how I feel about the Greek since the 4-3 move. But mostly because *I* believe there isn't much difference between the two, our main rotation guy gets locked up longer, we can maybe get more for The Greek, and more cap space. 

If you're going to break up that group it makes more sense to me to move Payne.  He would likely return a higher draft pick, will cost more money, and the Greek can be a solid starter.  

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If you're going to break up that group it makes more sense to me to move Payne.  He would likely return a higher draft pick, will cost more money, and the Greek can be a solid starter.  

I wouldn't have been opposed to that plan either. I've just soured on Matt some is all.