Schefter: OG Brandon Scherff to Jags

e16bball

I know it’s been mentioned in other threads, but honestly, our only First-Team All-Pro in decades leaving is something I think is thread worthy. 

Interesting to learn that it likely really was all about the money for him. I actually used JAX as an example of a team that he would go to solely because they had the most cash on the table (as opposed to because they were competitive or because they’re a better-run organization or because they were closer to his Midwestern roots, for example).

Thanks, Brandon, for a lot of really good play. Wish you could have stayed healthy enough to make it a no-brainer to keep you. Hopefully things go well for you down in Duval.

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I know it’s been mentioned in other threads, but honestly, our only First-Team All-Pro in decades leaving is something I think is thread worthy. 

Interesting to learn that it likely really was all about the money for him. I actually used JAX as an example of a team that he would go to solely because they had the most cash on the table (as opposed to because they were competitive or because they’re a better-run organization or because they were closer to his Midwestern roots, for example).

Thanks, Brandon, for a lot of really good play. Wish you could have stayed healthy enough to make it a no-brainer to keep you. Hopefully things go well for you down in Duval.

Eh, I wasnt as impressed by him as others. Especially his play this past year. Good luck to him. Hopefully he broke the bank, and gets us a decent comp pick.

• Like 1

In terms of replacements, a lot of the major FA guards have evidently already been snapped up — Cappa and Karras to the Bengals, Tomlinson to NYJ, Saffold to BUF, etc. 

Billy Turner from GB might be an interesting choice, especially because he wouldn’t hurt us in the comp pick derby due to being released.

I’ve always been interested in the idea of reuniting Rivera (and Matsko) with Andrew Norwell, who is still a good player even if he underachieved his massive contract in JAX.

Mark Glowinski from the Colts was another one I had my eye on as a second-tier possibility, maybe he’d be interested since apparently every Colts player loved Wentz dearly (only half sarcastic at this point). 

EDIT TO ADD: Also obviously they could just count on Schweitzer and Flowers to be the guys and just look for some solid depth behind them. I think there’s a fair chance they do this, and I won’t be mad if they do. They do need more depth than just Saahdiq Charles though.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

Honestly, this move will work out as well for the Jags as Andrew Norwall.  Sucks seeing Scherff go, but he was not worth the money with the age and injury history.  29 is old for an interior lineman.  

I’m honestly OK going into the year with Flowers and Schweitzer as starters, with a Day 2 pick spent on an OG to replace at least one of them in 2023.  

That all said……will Scherff be remembered more for being the First Team All-Pro in decades, or the OG picked way too high in the draft who didn’t beat out Morgan Moses to be an OT?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, e16bball said:

EDIT TO ADD: Also obviously they could just count on Schweitzer and Flowers to be the guys and just look for some solid depth behind them. I think there’s a fair chance they do this, and I won’t be mad if they do. They do need more depth than just Saahdiq Charles though

This is what I expect them to do.  Let Charles compete with Schweitzer for the starting role.  Maybe draft someone in the 4th to compete as well. 

6 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Good for him I hope it works out for Brandon. But hopefully we can find a even better more healthy upgrade on the OL. Reguardless of position I hope somehow some way we can hit a home run with a OL prospect

How much did he get - anybody see the years / $$$$ ?????