Washington cuts Matt Ioannidis / Save $7 million

MikeT14

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

LOL. All it takes is converting his salary to a signing bonus for this year. That frees up more cap space than cutting Matt.

This is what I don’t understand at all. If you believed enough to make the trade, then rework the contract. Replacing those vets who we cut is going to cost similar amounts of money

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This is what I don’t understand at all. If you believed enough to make the trade, then rework the contract. Replacing those vets who we cut is going to cost similar amounts of money

Live look at the Washington Front Office right now.

TopHats.jpg

Meanwhile the third head of the Hydra is waiting for his ride into work.

2371.jpg?width=465&quality=45&auto=forma

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

The colts traded a first rounder for Wentz and had no problem dealing him to us after one season, despite not having his replacement on the roster and facing the same crunch in FA we did…..and without a first round pick either. Hell, his coach in Indy apologized to ownership for bringing him in. 

this is not a good look if you are cutting veterans to fit this guys contract in and you don’t believe enough in him to rework the contract for additional room. 

1st) The colts traded a 1st rounder for him cause he's damn good. That's why they did it. His "bad" yr last season netted him 27 TD's & 7 int's. He had a better yr than Wilson & Carr. 

2nd) He was cut after 1 yr because he didn't want the vaccine, like Cousins. It pissed off Irsay & surprised Reich who vouched for him. Some of the players followed suit with him & that pissed off Irsay even more. The 2 bad games at the end of the season & missing the playoffs pushed Irsay over the edge, so they cut him. It wasn't because the players didn't like him.

The dude was #2 overall pick in the draft. He led the Eagles to an 11-2 record before getting hurt. He was on his way to becoming the National Football League MVP, before his life turned upside down.

Foles goes on & wins the SB for the Eagles, so the eagles went out & built a statue for Nick Foles.

I think any one of us, would have dealt with this very similar to Wentz.

His head needs getting right & hopefully Rivera Can help him.

But as far as Talent?

He's Aaron Rodgers with  confidence issue....

He's what Kirk Cousin wished he had talent wise....

If Carson gets his head right?

And stays healthy...?

He'll be playing with Washington the rest of his career 

That, I can guarantee.

And his jersey will be hanging from the rafters.

Don't worry about his contract...we'll know what to do if & when we need to do it.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I haven’t been on the past few days, I’ve been busy with work but these two moves & not re-signing McKissic are very disappointing. Then, we lost Settle too. Big holes to fill. 

Well, some good news for you at least. JD changed his mind a couple hours ago and re-signed for the same compensation. So he's back!

I don’t understand why they didn’t just restructure each Flowers’s & Ioannidis’s contracts.

This is awful. Just bad. Major holes created plus we lost Scherff. Our starting guards are gone & our back up DTs are both gone.

I couldn’t be more disappointed. 

We have to see what happens in the coming weeks and months to fill these holes but this free agent period has started very poorly for us IMO.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Well, some good news for you at least. JD changed his mind a couple hours ago and re-signed for the same compensation. So he's back!

Oh for real? Can he pay guard? 😂 Jk, but that is good news. I missed it, been in a meeting.

Edited by turtle28

"When someone tells you two weeks ago that he's solid as a rock, would it take you by surprise?" Herman told ESPN. "Give us a heads up; free agency is coming and we want to make sure the player lands on his feet. Granted, [general manager] Martin Mayhew called and apologized. I've dealt with Rob for years and this is the first time I've ever had a situation like this with him. Always professional."

Okay, back to changing the culture for the better. Bruce Allen never would have apologized for his snake move. 

57 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Okay, back to changing the culture for the better. Bruce Allen never would have apologized for his snake move. 

Probably would have made Doug Williams go apologize to try to quiet the bad press fallout, though 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I should say, I do genuinely think Ron and his group are (much) better people than Bruce and his, so I shouldn’t just be snide about the idea of them behaving with some civility and decency. 

But I do also feel at this point that they’re similarly incompetent at running a FO. The Collins thing, the Ioannidis thing, the Flowers thing, even the McKissic/Settle things — these are all deeply suggestive of a FO that doesn’t have a plan, that is basically changing course with the changes in the weather, that didn’t have any solid idea of where it was going or what it was going to try to execute this offseason. It feels like they’re flying by the seat of their pants and just reacting to whatever comes along. That’s no way to do business, and it frequently ends up making you look like a bunch of fools when people try to rely on what you tell them. 

In other words, I don’t think they had any intention or desire to disrespect these guys. But because they haven’t had any idea what the hell they wanted to do, they’ve ended up disrespecting them because they had to go back on what they previously told them. Which is still functionally a bad look, even if they’re not bad guys.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I should say, I do genuinely think Ron and his group are (much) better people than Bruce and his, so I shouldn’t just be snide about the idea of them behaving with some civility and decency. 

But I do also feel at this point that they’re similarly incompetent at running a FO. The Collins thing, the Ioannidis thing, the Flowers thing, even the McKissic/Settle things — these are all deeply suggestive of a FO that doesn’t have a plan.

To be fair, most of this could have been part of a plan. Just not a good one

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

To be fair, most of this could have been part of a plan. Just not a good one

A plan established last week, I guess. 

Obviously they had already communicated their previous “plan” to both Collins and Greek, a plan which obviously changed on a fundamental level and left them feeling lied to. They delivered that plan in concrete enough terms to those guys that they both apparently relied and acted upon it. 

Which I find puzzling. Did the possibility of acquiring a big salary QB actually creep up on them? They talked in such grandiose terms about the “big swing” they were going to take at QB — how were they more prepared for dealing with the salary crunch it would inevitably create if they were actually successful?