Washington cuts Matt Ioannidis / Save $7 million

MikeT14

As said in the NFL News sub forum. Why do you let Tim Settle walk if you are cutting Matt Ioannidis? Did he really have zero trade value?

I'm not knocking the cap space gain, because its needed. (Assuming they use it) I just dont understand the thinking of going from 4 solid DTs to only 2. There is no rotation now.

• Like 3

A couple of things irritate about this move: 

1. Matt Ioannidis was a homegrown late round talent for us.  He was a huge win for us, I get that this group didn't draft him but just ditching a guy like that I don't understand. 

2. When Rivera first came here he talked about how one of the biggest mistakes they made in Carolina was having a top heavy roster with poor depth.  The moves we've made so far have been going in the other direction of that. 

3. There were other ways to save cap space. 

In a vacuum this is a bad move.  I guess we need to see the final product of this offseason to have final judgement but this move is the first one I truly dislike. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

As said in the NFL News sub forum. Why do you let Tim Settle walk if you are cutting Matt Ioannidis? Did he really have zero trade value?

I'm not knocking the cap space gain, because its needed. (Assuming they use it) I just dont understand the thinking of going from 4 solid DTs to only 2. There is no rotation now.

This was my initial thought as well. The whole reason Settle left was because he wanted more playing time. We're creating holes where we don't need to and now need to devote FA $ or a draft pick to shore them up while STILL needing to fill the holes we already had!

• Like 2

Well this isn't good for our culture:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/16/matt-ioannidis-agent-commanders-lied-to-our-face-said-they-werent-cutting-him/ 

Agent Alan Herman told the Associated Press that Washington senior VP of football administration Rob Rogers lied to him at the Scouting Combine and said they weren’t going to cut Ioannidis. Herman said if they hadn’t been given that assurance, they would have done more advance work to prepare to negotiate a contract with other teams in free agency.

“We don’t particularly care to be lied to our face,” Herman said. “They took him out of the free agent market now for two days. That puts us now at a disadvantage because other teams have paid other defensive linemen contracts, and [Ioannidis] hasn’t been able to take advantage of that. That’s not the way you conduct business in the National Football League.”

• Like 1

Just now, MikeT14 said:

The timing was definitely weird.  In fact all of the timing has been weird.  Its like we woke up today and didn't realize FA started two days ago.  

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

This was my initial thought as well. The whole reason Settle left was because he wanted more playing time. We're creating holes where we don't need to and now need to devote FA $ or a draft pick to shore them up while STILL needing to fill the holes we already had!

Settle still has time to rethink it !! HA!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Also, I guess that this might mean we do not believe enough in Wentz to restructure the deal.  

Why restructure his deal, if you don't need too yet, nap?

They believed in him enough to trade a couple 3rd rounders for him.

They probably don't believe in him enough to sign him to mega millions--Missouri powerball-- deal of a 6 yr, 147 million dollar deal 86 million guaranteed with a no trade Kirk Cousins clause--Agent friendly Franchise Tag optional screwjob though , Nap.

They probably want to hold off for a little bit on that...maybe tomorrow...

Just now, aceinthehouse said:

They probably don't believe in him enough to sign him to mega millions--Missouri powerball-- deal of a 6 yr, 147 million dollar deal 86 million guaranteed with a no trade Kirk Cousins clause--Agent friendly Franchise Tag optional screwjob though , Nap.

The colts traded a first rounder for Wentz and had no problem dealing him to us after one season, despite not having his replacement on the roster and facing the same crunch in FA we did…..and without a first round pick either. Hell, his coach in Indy apologized to ownership for bringing him in. 

this is not a good look if you are cutting veterans to fit this guys contract in and you don’t believe enough in him to rework the contract for additional room. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

LOL. All it takes is converting his salary to a signing bonus for this year. That frees up more cap space than cutting Matt.