Washington cuts Matt Ioannidis / Save $7 million

MikeT14

18 minutes ago, e16bball said:

A plan established last week, I guess. 

Obviously they had already communicated their previous “plan” to both Collins and Greek, a plan which obviously changed on a fundamental level and left them feeling lied to. They delivered that plan in concrete enough terms to those guys that they both apparently relied and acted upon it. 

Which I find puzzling. Did the possibility of acquiring a big salary QB actually creep up on them? They talked in such grandiose terms about the “big swing” they were going to take at QB — how were they more prepared for dealing with the salary crunch it would inevitably create if they were actually successful?

It sounds like a big name reporter shares some of the doubts a few of us have about planning 

27 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It sounds like a big name reporter shares some of the doubts a few of us have about planning 

You make these kinds of moves when your headcoach doubles as your GM. Wait until next year when he’s desperate and we really start making stupid trades. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I should say, I do genuinely think Ron and his group are (much) better people than Bruce and his, so I shouldn’t just be snide about the idea of them behaving with some civility and decency. 

But I do also feel at this point that they’re similarly incompetent at running a FO. The Collins thing, the Ioannidis thing, the Flowers thing, even the McKissic/Settle things — these are all deeply suggestive of a FO that doesn’t have a plan, that is basically changing course with the changes in the weather, that didn’t have any solid idea of where it was going or what it was going to try to execute this offseason. It feels like they’re flying by the seat of their pants and just reacting to whatever comes along. That’s no way to do business, and it frequently ends up making you look like a bunch of fools when people try to rely on what you tell them. 

In other words, I don’t think they had any intention or desire to disrespect these guys. But because they haven’t had any idea what the hell they wanted to do, they’ve ended up disrespecting them because they had to go back on what they previously told them. Which is still functionally a bad look, even if they’re not bad guys.

I have this image that reminds me of what is going on with them right now.

There's a large log floating down the river.

On that log are about twenty ants.

And each one is yelling "I'M DRIVING!!"

52 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Why is that? I genuinely don’t follow 

Because he doesn’t understand the way roster construction works and that has never been a part of his job at any point in his career. It’s like taking a brick layer and telling him to code. 

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Because he doesn’t understand the way roster construction works and that has never been a part of his job at any point in his career. It’s like taking a brick layer and telling him to code. 

Also because a head coach will make decisions that protect his job in the short term. A GM is supposed to be thinking short and long term. If you invest both roles in the same person, the head coach is going to win out (in most people) when tough decisions need to be made.

8 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Also because a head coach will make decisions that protect his job in the short term. A GM is supposed to be thinking short and long term. If you invest both roles in the same person, the head coach is going to win out (in most people) when tough decisions need to be made.

These moves seem to be the opposite of protecting short-term, so that’s why I don’t understand Lavar‘s point

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

These moves seem to be the opposite of protecting short-term, so that’s why I don’t understand Lavar‘s point

I think there's the long term component here in that these cuts are being made to free up space now and later in June. The GM move would've been to convert Wentz' salary. That wasn't done. I think the head coach is panicking that he traded for Wentz and had no plan in place to free up space. Hence why we did Matt and Landon dirty in a rush to free up cap space. That screams "fix it now" to me.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I said “next season”. Right now he still has job security so he’s free to cut whomever he wants without much consequence. If we have another 7-win season or the Wentz move bombs and we’re 4-5 win team…now that’s when Rivera can become very dangerous. Because at that point why does he care what players he trades or what draft picks he moves? He most likely won’t be here to have to worry about the ramifications of those moves. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I think the head coach is panicking that he traded for Wentz and had no plan in place to free up space.

The thing that has me scratching my head about this is that we were after Rodgers, Wilson, Wentz all of them.  Any one of them was going to spike our cap. If they were really all in on getting the vet QB, some cap preventative moves should have been made weeks ago.  

One thing that hasn't been brought up. In order to do a bunch of restructures is that you have to have an owner that's willing to spend some cash to make it happen.  I do wonder if Dan, with his pending legal issues, either has some cash flow issues or maybe doesn't want to spend a lot of money this offseason in case he gets forced out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

The thing that has me scratching my head about this is that we were after Rodgers, Wilson, Wentz all of them.  Any one of them was going to spike our cap. If they were really all in on getting the vet QB, some cap preventative moves should have been made weeks ago.  

One thing that hasn't been brought up. In order to do a bunch of restructures is that you have to have an owner that's willing to spend some cash to make it happen.  I do wonder if Dan, with his pending legal issues, either has some cash flow issues or maybe doesn't want to spend a lot of money this offseason in case he gets forced out. 

That's an interesting take on this. I hadn't considered it and now it makes a bit more sense why we might not have done it

47 minutes ago, taylor made said:

This was the right move to make. I've kept saying Ioannidis wasn't the same player in the 4-3 as the 3-4. They are most likely going to use the money saved from cutting him towards somebody else. It's simply premature to bash the move.

I'm not bashing his cut. I'm bashing the fact that we cut him (*) and let Settle walk. Had we cut him before FA started, I have a feeling we might've convinced Tim to stay as he would get more reps. 

(*) the other thing is the way we screwed Matt over.

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm not bashing his cut. I'm bashing the fact that we cut him (*) and let Settle walk. Had we cut him before FA started, I have a feeling we might've convinced Tim to stay as he would get more reps. 

(*) the other thing is the way we screwed Matt over.

I think they probably don't care that Settle walked. The team has pretty big holes at MLB,WR2 or even OG that I'm sure they'd rather fill than a backup DT. I do agree it's unfortunate how things played out with the last minute cut, but as cliche as it sounds, this is a business. Once the Carson trade went through, they had to change their decisions how to free up cap space.