Ty21 and ET Proudly Present, an ET80 and Ty production: Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty (potential spoilers)

ET80

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

In terms of storytelling, this was probably the best episode yet, a LOT of stuff moving and setting up for the last two episodes.

I find myself most intrigued by the Westhead/Riley vs McKinney storyline.  I mean, I know how it shakes out in the end but still has me hooked

52 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

I find myself most intrigued by the Westhead/Riley vs McKinney storyline.  I mean, I know how it shakes out in the end but still has me hooked

This show has done a good job generating drama around events that we already know how they end.  That talk with West and Magic at the end was great.

Edited by THE DUKE

4 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

They make Westhead look like a bumbling idiot.  He was the exact opposite in real life.  The team was also really good from the start of the season.  

2 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

They make Westhead look like a bumbling idiot.  He was the exact opposite in real life.  The team was also really good from the start of the season.  

Oh I know that, pretty sure most of these portrayals aren’t exactly faithful.   Doesn’t mean it’s not entertaining 

Really good show. I don't know much about Westhead but it is interesting that he coached all the way into the 2000's and outside of LA and a year at Loyola never had any real success. 

I knew what happens but I was still on the edge of my seat watching the finale lol. Quality first season. Really wish this had been going longer so I didn’t have to wait for more of it. I’d be pumped if they introduce Michael Jordan in S4 or so and then give him his own show too 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I knew what happens but I was still on the edge of my seat watching the finale lol. Quality first season. Really wish this had been going longer so I didn’t have to wait for more of it. I’d be pumped if they introduce Michael Jordan in S4 or so and then give him his own show too 

HBO tapped into something amazing here. They could tell these kinds of sports stories forever. Tom Brady going from a 6th round afterthought with a HC who had been traded for after already agreeing to be the chief rival's HC just before the team was about to move to St. Louis. Barry Bonds and the steroid scandal. The Kobe and Shaq saga if they want to stay in LA. The rise and fall of Michael Vick. ANYTHING

Good finale, definitely looking forward to season 2.  Now they can really start to build that rivalry with Bird.

Solomon Hughes was a standout as Kareem, and Adrian Brody was terrific as Pat Riley.

John C Riley, Jason Clarke, and Quincy Isaiah each did well, but with all three there were times where it didn't quite hit.

Can totally see HBO running with this format across several sports for multiple seasons each.  They could pretty easily make 2 separate winning time seasons a year for the next 20 years if they'd devote the resources to it.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Can totally see HBO running with this format across several sports for multiple seasons each.  They could pretty easily make 2 separate winning time seasons a year for the next 20 years if they'd devote the resources to it.

If they want to stay in the same relative time in history, I think Buster Douglas's upset win over Mike Tyson would be perfect. Douglas was a guy who had more or less given up on the sport and squandered his talent. Tyson is the perfect guy to play a similar role to Bird. The death of Douglas's mother is what spurred him to train hard again. The fight itself might as well been written by hollywood. The only issue is it would HAVE to be a limited series as opposed to something HBO could milk. 

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

If they want to stay in the same relative time in history, I think Buster Douglas's upset win over Mike Tyson would be perfect. Douglas was a guy who had more or less given up on the sport and squandered his talent. Tyson is the perfect guy to play a similar role to Bird. The death of Douglas's mother is what spurred him to train hard again. The fight itself might as well been written by hollywood. The only issue is it would HAVE to be a limited series as opposed to something HBO could milk. 

S2 could be Tyson beating up a guy on an airplane 

• Like 1

Winning Time: The Rise and Fall of Mike Tyson

Winning Time: The Unbelievable Career of Tom Brady

Winning Time: The Chicago Bulls Dominance of the 1990s

Winning Time: The Brilliance of Wayne Gretzky

Winning Time: The Steroid Era of MLB

Winning Time: Tim Duncan Makes a Layup