Which of these has more of an impact?

Hunter2_1

More of an impact on winning  

48 members have voted

1. 1. CB vs Pass rusher

• Shut down cornerback
    • Elite pass rusher

On 11/13/2017 at 4:21 AM, Calvert28 said:

No. Simple way to evade a shut down corner is just to throw to the other side.

Limiting yourself to throwing to one side of the field isn't simple.  That is a pretty big deal.

If the team is starting from scratch, I think I would rather have an elite pass rusher if only because they will probably have an impact no matter what.  As good as a corner may be, if the defense around him is terrible, it probably won't matter much.  However, I think a shutdown corner on a good defense will have a bigger impact than a great pass rusher will have on an equally as good defense.

5 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Limiting yourself to throwing to one side of the field isn't simple.  That is a pretty big deal.

If the team is starting from scratch, I think I would rather have an elite pass rusher if only because they will probably have an impact no matter what.  As good as a corner may be, if the defense around him is terrible, it probably won't matter much.  However, I think a shutdown corner on a good defense will have a bigger impact than a great pass rusher will have on an equally as good defense.

Yea but thats true for any talent position where the supporting cast can boost or hinder their production. And you're right, its no small feat to be able to stay on an island. But Revis has faced the likes of Brady, Manning, and others. They may not have tested him time and time again. But they may not need their number 1 if they can negate that coverage with a Gronk, or maybe having a Anquan Boldin opposite Fitzgerald like in their golden days. Having a Wes Welker or Tyrik Hill can do devastation. You can double team, even triple team a JJ Watt. But there are just more options to attack you through the air in today's game where even Nickle CB is starting to be considered an everydown starter which is crazy. 

On 11/17/2017 at 2:21 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

You have a strange way of analysing football then. Elite for a day? Nah.

It was an example that illustrated Calvert28 point. Nothing more, nothing less. I thought that was pretty clear and really didn't think I needed to explain it. 

What is funny though is the fact that you called Lattimore an elite shutdown corner after 7 games in his career. But I digress. 

@Carmen Cygni  You have already shown a propensity of twisting words, constantly changing the subject when it doesn't support yuour argument and ignoring any and all facts presented to you. Even after I brought it up and tried to get this thread back on track. This is why I chose to ignore you after you did it again and continue to do so.

That is all. I'm done with this topic.

The draft itself, clearly indicates that DE's are more important than CB's. The current pecking order on offense is QB, LT, WR and TE as primary positions followed by RB, RT, OC and OG.

On defense, it is DE, CB. DT and Safety as primary positions, with LBers as a secondary position.

• 1 month later...

If my team is set at QB, then most GM's would draft a LT first to protect their QB's blindside, without a great LT, how long will your QB remain healthy an if you lose your QB, what good is a great DE.

If GM's had their preference, they would fill their team in this order, QB, by a mile, LT, to protect that valuable asset, DE to create a pass rush and a shutdown CB to finish off the primary positions followed by a top WR. Of course, it will all come down to who is available when it is your pick, the order can easily switch depending on which of these positions has the most talented guy available, so if a DE is rated #5 lets say and the top LT is rated #12, no GM is going to take the LT over the DE in that circumstance, ditto for any of the primary positions, but what GM's will do, is bypass a  top rated secondary position, for a lower ranked primary position, as long as the gap isn't too ridiculous.

Archived