General Draft Thread

swoosh

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

God, I hope not. I hope the Falcons have Willis slip to them at 43 and get London and Willis to help them build the offense long term.

I prefer Willis too, but just trying to connect the dots here. The people who said the Falcons were high on London also said they liked Corral. Now it could just be a situation where the Falcons didn't expect Willis to slide this far, but with nobody trading up to get a QB I get the feeling the league as a whole knows where these guys stack. It's a weak class and frankly, a lot of teams don't need QBs. 

39 minutes ago, swoosh said:

I prefer Willis too, but just trying to connect the dots here. The people who said the Falcons were high on London also said they liked Corral. Now it could just be a situation where the Falcons didn't expect Willis to slide this far, but with nobody trading up to get a QB I get the feeling the league as a whole knows where these guys stack. It's a weak class and frankly, a lot of teams don't need QBs. 

I think Ridder goes to Seattle. Or Corral even. Carroll loves both. Willis at 43 would be great. I don't like Ridder as much.

1 minute ago, DM316 said:

I didn't want a WR but to pass on Williams or even Wilson going that route smh. The passing of Johnson, mind blown. Hopefully Ebiketie or Ojabo falls to 43.

I get Williams, with the ACL. 

Wilson was my WR5. I didn't love his play or get the hype.

11 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I get Williams, with the ACL. 

Wilson was my WR5. I didn't love his play or get the hype.

Why WR is my biggest beef. A bad O Line, a bad defense, stopgap QB (didn't want one of those either to be clear). Holes everywhere and this regimes first 2 1st round picks are a TE and WR. This is Millen era Lions-esque trying to build a team from the outside in IMO.

3 minutes ago, DM316 said:

Why WR is my biggest beef. A bad O Line, a bad defense, stopgap QB (didn't want one of those either to be clear). Holes everywhere and this regimes first 2 1st round picks are a TE and WR. This is Millen era Lions-esque trying to build a team from the outside in IMO.

London was BPA on their board. He is as polarizing prospect as any this year. You either love him because of his ability to make the contested catch or you hate him because you think he can't separate. I get both sides, but I'm going to trust this staff until they give me a reason not to. I've watched a lot of London being a fan of a team in the Pac 12 and I feel he's a stud. Likely not worth a top 10 pick in most years, but this first round class in general is very weak. Watch London's tape from the year prior when he was in the slot. I think he's more athletic than people give him credit for. I actually preferred Jameson Williams as an overall player, but we also don't have the same opportunity to see these players up close and talk with them. By all accounts, London fits what Smith wants to do to a tee. Big, hard worker, will fight for extra years, can play him inside and out. After years of watching us struggle in the red-zone, London is a welcome addition. 

I get preferring defense over a skill position, but you can't force it. A lot of people wanted Jermaine Johnson, but look how far he slipped. In a league where pass rushers are a premium and virtually every team could use one, that is telling. Now if they would have passed on someone like Kayvon, that would be questionable.

WR value is also at an all time high. We all saw the WR run after the London selection. New Orleans trading up for Olave. Baltimore getting good value for a player like Hollywood Brown. Getting a WR with that 5th year option is huge with the contracts these players are getting. If London turns out to be even close to what Mike Evans is, nobody will be complaining in a few years. With regards to Pitts, that's generational talent at TE. It's just how the board is falling.

I get the frustration at surface level but at the same time we just need to wait and see how the rest of the draft plays out. And even then, we'll have no idea how this draft was until we get a look at these players in action. Not that it was this staff, but the majority of Falcons fans disliked the A.J. Terrell pick a couple of years ago, thinking he was a second round talent taken in the mid-1st.

1 minute ago, swoosh said:

London was BPA on their board. He is as polarizing prospect as any this year. You either love him because of his ability to make the contested catch or you hate him because you think he can't separate. I get both sides, but I'm going to trust this staff until they give me a reason not to. I've watched a lot of London being a fan of a team in the Pac 12 and I feel he's a stud. Likely not worth a top 10 pick in most years, but this first round class in general is very weak. Watch London's tape from the year prior when he was in the slot. I think he's more athletic than people give him credit for. I actually preferred Jameson Williams as an overall player, but we also don't have the same opportunity to see these players up close and talk with them. By all accounts, London fits what Smith wants to do to a tee. Big, hard worker, will fight for extra years, can play him inside and out. After years of watching us struggle in the red-zone, London is a welcome addition. 

I get preferring defense over a skill position, but you can't force it. A lot of people wanted Jermaine Johnson, but look how far he slipped. In a league where pass rushers are a premium and virtually every team could use one, that is telling. Now if they would have passed on someone like Kayvon, that would be questionable.

WR value is also at an all time high. We all saw the WR run after the London selection. New Orleans trading up for Olave. Baltimore getting good value for a player like Hollywood Brown. Getting a WR with that 5th year option is huge with the contracts these players are getting. If London turns out to be even close to what Mike Evans is, nobody will be complaining in a few years. With regards to Pitts, that's generational talent at TE. It's just how the board is falling.

I get the frustration at surface level but at the same time we just need to wait and see how the rest of the draft plays out. And even then, we'll have no idea how this draft was until we get a look at these players in action. Not that it was this staff, but the majority of Falcons fans disliked the A.J. Terrell pick a couple of years ago, thinking he was a second round talent taken in the mid-1st.

I see Kenny Golladay, respectfully. Mike Williams absolute best case scenario. I hope I'm wrong, we shall see. Absolutely need to go 4 for 4 tonight, go for the doubles not grandslam's i.e Grant over Moehrig last year.

38 minutes ago, DM316 said:

I see Kenny Golladay, respectfully. Mike Williams absolute best case scenario. I hope I'm wrong, we shall see. Absolutely need to go 4 for 4 tonight, go for the doubles not grandslam's i.e Grant over Moehrig last year.

Or even better, not traded back and selected Jevon Holland. 😡

I know hindsight is 20/20 and you can't nitpick everything but looking back, as great as Pitts is and I wanted him at 4 ... I wonder if Fields would have been a better choice. I know he's no sure thing himself, and the team obviously expected to be competitive so it was a different approach heading into the year. Not putting resources into the $$$ positions has me at a loss, I gotta say. I get going BPA, and am against reaching for need but from what I read the Falcons had a premier grade on Johnson II also. So if it's close IMO the edge should have went that way coupled with the WR depth this draft has. This is why I'm frustrated. Hopefully, tonight is better bro's.

32 minutes ago, DM316 said:

I know hindsight is 20/20 and you can't nitpick everything but looking back, as great as Pitts is and I wanted him at 4 ... I wonder if Fields would have been a better choice. I know he's no sure thing himself, and the team obviously expected to be competitive so it was a different approach heading into the year. Not putting resources into the $$$ positions has me at a loss, I gotta say. I get going BPA, and am against reaching for need but from what I read the Falcons had a premier grade on Johnson II also. So if it's close IMO the edge should have went that way coupled with the WR depth this draft has. This is why I'm frustrated. Hopefully, tonight is better bro's.

IMO, no. Mainly from a roster structure standpoint because we have holes virtually everywhere. It's one of the worst rosters in the NFL, if we're being honest. We weren't realistically competing last year and we aren't competing this year. If you take Fields last year, you now only have 3 years in the rookie deal window. And I think it's optimistic to think we'll have the talent to even compete next year. We're in a full rebuild here. 

Now if you find a QB prospect you love, you take him regardless of windows. I do wonder if the Falcons would've grabbed Lance at 4. There were some rumors the staff liked him. 

I'm happy with the pick. Was hoping Thib would fall but with who was available I think we did good.

I think London is being underrated here. He's alot smoother in his routes than most of your typical big WRs. He also gets seperation, his QB was just terrible. 

Also trying to defend Pitts and London in the redzone is going to be a nightmare. 

Hoping today we focus on the o/dline. Don't want a QB (Wouldn't despise Willis). Next year's class is way better and we should be drafting near if not at the top. 

Edited by JJ6
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, JJ6 said:

I'm happy with the pick. Was hoping Thib would fall but with who was available I think we did good.

I think London is being underrated here. He's alot smoother in his routes than most of your typical big WRs. He also gets seperation, his QB was just terrible. 

Also trying to defend Pitts and London in the redzone is going to be a nightmare. 

Hoping today we focus on the o/dline. Don't want a QB (Wouldn't despise Willis). Next year's class is way better and we should be drafting near if not at the top. 

This is my burner account.