2022 NFL Draft Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS!!!)

CWood21

Let's see if we can draft only Georgia players. They're already used to having a G on the helmet. 

Starting with Pickens and then later James Cook

Edit: but seriously Pickens, Pitre, Jackson, Thomas, Pierce, Moore...get two of those by end of Rd 2 and I'm happy

Edited by Sandy

PackersWire -  14 wide receivers for Packers to target on Day 2 of 2022 NFL draft

1. George Pickens, Georgia
2. Jalen Tolbert, South Alabama
3. Christian Watson, North Dakota State
4. Alec Pierce, Cincinnati
5. John Metchie III, Alabama
6. Khalil Shakir, Boise State
7. Romeo Doubs, Nevada
8. Tyquan Thornton, Baylor
9. Kevin Austin, Notre Dame
10. Danny Gray, SMU
11. Skyy Moore, Western Michigan
12. Bo Melton, Rutgers
13. Justyn Ross, Clemson
14.  David Bell, Purdue

11 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

These guys gotta give up the idea that we're going to spend two higher picks on WR. 

Well....Bukowski said if they could "come out of the draft" with some of these players - whereas Kruse referred to them as Day 2 selections (which dovetails with the PackerWire post I just made). I'm not personally sure all these guys are in fact Day 2 selections.

Ross Uglem -  What if I told you that PFF's #1, #2, #4, #6, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #16, #22, #23, #24 and #25 ranked receivers by receiving grade in 2021 were NOT taken in round one?

Davante
Kupp
Deebo
Cheetah
Higgins
DK
Diggs
Renfrow
Amon-Ra SB
MPJ
Godwin
Terry who is Scary
Keenan
Mooney
Jakobi
Meyers
Diontae J
Cole Beasley

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Well....Bukowski said if they could "come out of the draft" with some of these players - whereas Kruse referred to them as Day 2 selections (which dovetails with the PackerWire post I just made). I'm not personally sure all these guys are in fact Day 2 selections.

Some of them are definitely mid-day three types. But there's 7 I think could be considered with our next 3 picks.

• Like 1

A thing worth considering is that IIRC the Packers organization does not give "round grades" to prospects.  They just grade the prospects, and while these are naturally going to fall into tiers of different sizes, they won't put a label like "round 2 grade" on a player because if there's only 16 "round 1 grades" in the draft, rationally someone's going to take a "round 2 grade" guy in round one and won't be making a mistake doing it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

A thing worth considering is that IIRC the Packers organization does not give "round grades" to prospects.  They just grade the prospects, and while these are naturally going to fall into tiers of different sizes, they won't put a label like "round 2 grade" on a player because if there's only 16 "round 1 grades" in the draft, rationally someone's going to take a "round 2 grade" guy in round one and won't be making a mistake doing it!

I believe they rank the players as follows:
Round 1 - by their RAS scores
Round 2 - by their 40 times
Round 3 - by some equation of 3cone - minus vertical leap - divided by bench press stats
Round 4 - I'm not entirely sure

:)

The buzz is also they really like the Baylor kid. James Jones was on nfl network talking about he is a better MVS type.

He is buds with Rodgers. Soooo we as fans might not be high on him but maybe round 3 they could go with him too.

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

The buzz is also they really like the Baylor kid. James Jones was on nfl network talking about he is a better MVS type.

He is buds with Rodgers. Soooo we as fans might not be high on him but maybe round 3 they could go with him too.

This guy.  Tyquan Thornton, Baylor

He's the one I've been calling the MVS look alike :)

Sharp Football - Who were the winners and/or losers of Round 1

Has to be the Jets, not only for the aforementioned Johnson but also for landing the consensus best corner in the draft on most boards, Sauce Gardner, and the best wide receiver in the draft in Garrett Wilson. I know Jets fans are usually disappointed with whatever the Jets do in the draft, but they have to be ecstatic with this haul in the first round.

The Packers had a strange day. They failed to add any talent on offense and added two players with significant questions on defense. Quay Walker is a hard-hitting linebacker but may only be an early-down defender due to his poor anticipation skills and coverage ability. One scout told Bob McGinn: “I think his instincts suck… not a green dot.” And then there’s 24-year-old Devonte Wyatt, who has a domestic violence arrest on his record (charges were eventually dropped). Those were two unnecessarily risky picks.

53 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Let's see if we can draft only Georgia players. They're already used to having a G on the helmet. 

Starting with Pickens and then later James Cook

Edit: but seriously Pickens, Pitre, Jackson, Thomas, Pierce, Moore...get two of those by end of Rd 2 and I'm happy

I like James Cook. he found New Zealand, so he should be able to find some holes in the line as well

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

Sharp Football - Who were the winners and/or losers of Round 1

Has to be the Jets, not only for the aforementioned Johnson but also for landing the consensus best corner in the draft on most boards, Sauce Gardner, and the best wide receiver in the draft in Garrett Wilson. I know Jets fans are usually disappointed with whatever the Jets do in the draft, but they have to be ecstatic with this haul in the first round.

The Packers had a strange day. They failed to add any talent on offense and added two players with significant questions on defense. Quay Walker is a hard-hitting linebacker but may only be an early-down defender due to his poor anticipation skills and coverage ability. One scout told Bob McGinn: “I think his instincts suck… not a green dot.” And then there’s 24-year-old Devonte Wyatt, who has a domestic violence arrest on his record (charges were eventually dropped). Those were two unnecessarily risky picks.

They are going to get crushed by people… other than Chris simms haha.

But if Wyatt off the field is taken care of as far as GB is concern than he is easily a home run because GB has been in desperate need of DL help next to Clark. And they arguably, on the football field, got the best DT in the draft.

I think Campbell and Joe Barry changed the packers thinking on ILB. And it’s funny how people grade guys. Simms video on Quay Walker is interesting. Either he is completely off on him or he makes some interesting points about Walker had to do more advance stuff than Dean and really Dean was put in a position to be the stats guy on the defense. While Walker and the other LB did more of the dirty work.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Quay Walker is a hard-hitting linebacker but may only be an early-down defender due to his poor anticipation skills and coverage ability. One scout told Bob McGinn: “I think his instincts suck… not a green dot.”

That is in sharp contrast to what Simms said about Quay, where he is saying Quay has the best hips, can follow TEs and the best read and react player in the draft. 

Funny every 'evaluator' got their take

• Like 1

Just looked back on some Cosell talking ILBs, I love Cosell, he said Quay is the best stack backer in this class, certainly preferred him over the other Georgia linebackers, felt he was better than Jamin Davis coming out, who was selected at 19 last year by Washington.

• Like 1