Rd 3 Pick 68 Martin Emerson - Mississippi State - Discussion thread

Bucketheadsdad

1. Corners drop like flies 

2. We will be losing greedy and Aj green next year. Both should get decent contracts.

3. I'm guessing Martin here will play nickel? 

4. Troy Hill wants that reliable last year, they want him to be cb 4 in 23 and this year 

Head scratcher. He gets roasted by any quickness. Wonder if the plan is to play him at free safety because of his impressive ability to jar the ball out. We do need another corner next year, but I don’t think Emerson has the skills to play anywhere other than outside. He would be useless in the slot. 

5 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Head scratcher. He gets roasted by any quickness. Wonder if the plan is to play him at free safety because of his impressive ability to jar the ball out. We do need another corner next year, but I don’t think Emerson has the skills to play anywhere other than outside. He would be useless in the slot. 

I’d be alarmed if we put a guy with zero ball skills at FS

23 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

We have Ward and Newsome for the smaller, shifter receivers.

This dude looks like Greedy’s eventual replacement and guy who has some length to match up with bigger receivers.

I feel like I’m the only dude on this forum for whom this pick makes sense lol.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This dude looks like Greedy’s eventual replacement and guy who has some length to match up with bigger receivers.

I think there’s something to be said for need meeting value. He’s actually a guy I loved starting R4. Longest completion he gave up was 25 yards. Good length with experience as a press man/cover 3 guy. Also solely an outside guy and I really don’t like the spot we got him or how he’s scheme limited with limited upside, especially with other guys on the board. Value matters IMO. 

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think there’s something to be said for need meeting value. He’s actually a guy I loved starting R4. Longest completion he gave up was 25 yards. Good length with experience as a press man/cover 3 guy. Also solely an outside guy and I really don’t like the spot we got him or how he’s scheme limited with limited upside, especially with other guys on the board. Value matters IMO. 

I think it depends on how you define value.

This FO (and others) value good CB play very highly.  More so than pretty much anything else defensively.  Analytics point to coverage as being a better indicator to pass rush success than the pass rushers themselves.  We’ve drafter a corner in the first and paid another 100 million dollars.  They view this as about as premium position as you can.

With that said, if you can land a guy who can actually play at a reasonably high level on the outside in R3, that’s a home run pick.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

That composite explosion grade and vertical 😬 

1.  He’s a 3rd rounder.  The only way a H/W/S freak is available there is if his measurable are the only positives. 

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

He has great length, size, and strength. The fast twitch will limit him anywhere but outside.

agreed.  Of course if we drafted him to play outside that’s a fairly moot point.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I just felt like we had more pressing needs for this year—a year in which, we are trying to compete for a Super Bowl.

I would have much preferred Nakobe Dean, DeMarvin Leal, Perrion Winfrey, or just to have stayed put in the 2nd and taken one of those receivers/Trey McBride.

Luckily, I am a big fan of Alex Wright. I think he’s excellent. 

3 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I just felt like we had more pressing needs for this year—a year in which, we are trying to compete for a Super Bowl.

I would have much preferred Nakobe Dean, DeMarvin Leal, Perrion Winfrey, or just to have stayed put in the 2nd and taken one of those receivers/Trey McBride.

Luckily, I am a big fan of Alex Wright. I think he’s excellent. 

I get your point but I’m not expecting a second or third round rookie to be the difference maker when it comes to Super Bowls. 

Draft BPA, fill holes in FA. 

And isn’t Winfrey still on the board?  He’s turning into another one of those dudes everyone insists we should have taken like 4 rounds before they are actually drafted. 

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get your point but I’m not expecting a second or third round rookie to be the difference maker when it comes to Super Bowls. 

Draft BPA, fill holes in FA. 

And isn’t Winfrey still on the board?  He’s turning into another one of those dudes everyone insists we should have taken like 4 rounds before they are actually drafted. 

Just had those dudes as high end players on my board. Especially Leal and Dean. I could easily be wrong, but the value and positional need matched perfectly. To me, Emerson wasn’t a guy I was personally high on, nor did it seem like a need whatsoever. That’s why I didn’t like it. He’s not even high upside, like McCollum or Woolen. We’ll see what happens with his career, but if you asked me who we were gonna pick and gave me 50 guesses, I would have not once guessed Emerson. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

We’ll see what happens with his career, but if you asked me who we were gonna pick and gave me 50 guesses, I would have not once guessed Emerson. 

I hadn’t even heard of him before last night lol.

I didn’t look at corners much as the need isn’t there, but based on their philosophy it fits.

On 4/30/2022 at 11:45 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I hadn’t even heard of him before last night lol.

I didn’t look at corners much as the need isn’t there, but based on their philosophy it fits.

Same.

They obviously think he's a boundary corner. He was absolutely nowhere on my radar. A few sites had him listed as high as #38 overall, and obviously our FO had him that high as well.

• Like 1