Official Yankees Thread

mission27

On 7/21/2018 at 6:22 PM, jrry32 said:

Personally, I'd rather us experiment with somebody different than go with German or Cessa. Also, it would be really nice if we could get Kahnle back in last year's form.

I’m not counting out Cessa. I like his stuff a lot.

If he falters and we don’t get a pitcher I hope we do what Tampa does with their 5 starter and have it like a reliever day.

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

So we're trying to trade for Britton? What's the plan? Not use a 5th starter?

Ive been thinking about doing what Tampa does. If Cessa fails as the starter, have him , Sheffield maybe or German start, go 2-3 innings and make it a BP game. It def should happen in the playoffs. 

Severio's the only arm thats consistently been giving us innings and we run the risk of burning it out. Before this season one of the "how do you think the NYY will do" considerations was Severino. He'd shouldered the heaviest load of his career last year, so would he be able to repeat that for an entire season w/o injury. We need to protect his arm a bit. He''s still a young kid.

Perhaps most important, the current Yankees relievers noted how such bullpen depth ensures the freshness of everyone involved, which figures to be essential with only Luis Severino consistently providing length in his starts.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/25/what-yankees-relievers-think-about-zach-britton-acquisition/

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

So we're trying to trade for Britton? What's the plan? Not use a 5th starter?

I think if Gray continues his inconsistency he'll be dropped in favor of Loaisiga or Sheffield.  CC's days on the rest a four man rotation provides are over IMO. Grays gotta step up - or be replaced. I'd be ALL IN on Happ if his recent performances were'nt so.....uninspiring. If he could become the Happ of two months ago - he'd be EXACTLY what this rotation needs. I think trying the Tampa experiment of "relievers only" exposes them to injury or overwork. We're gonna need fresh BP arms at the end of the season - its questionable our Starters will give us that length (so the BP will be taxed regularly).

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I think if Gray continues his inconsistency he'll be dropped in favor of Loaisiga or Sheffield.  CC's days on the rest a four man rotation provides are over IMO. Grays gotta step up - or be replaced. I'd be ALL IN on Happ if his recent performances were'nt so.....uninspiring. If he could become the Happ of two months ago - he'd be EXACTLY what this rotation needs. I think trying the Tampa experiment of "relievers only" exposes them to injury or overwork. We're gonna need fresh BP arms at the end of the season - its questionable our Starters will give us that length (so the BP will be taxed regularly).

Theyre not going to drop Gray, and you can’t send him to the minors.

We’re in a pennant race, they’re not going with a rotation with 2 of German, Loasiga, Cessa, Sheffield .

Gray will be in the rotation unless he’s apart of a trade( which I highly doubt) 

The only question with Gray is if he'll get a playoff start.

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

Theyre not going to drop Gray, and you can’t send him to the minors.

We’re in a pennant race, they’re not going with a rotation with 2 of German, Loasiga, Cessa, Sheffield .

Gray will be in the rotation unless he’s apart of a trade( which I highly doubt) 

The only question with Gray is if he'll get a playoff start.

Unfortunately, Gray poses more problems than he does solutions - for us.

He cant be sent down to the minors - this is true - and a problem. The demand for him in long relief isnt there currently and a closer he neither is or needed to be. Perhaps he can morph into Lance McCullers. A Starter who showed good chops as a Reliever in pressure situations last year. Perhaps.

He's 7+7 with a 5.34 ERA and a complete lack of confidence in his "stuff" or the ability to consistently locate it unless he's pitching on the road against middle of the road or bottom feeding talent. Then he's proven capable of stringing some innings together - sometimes. Against the heavy hitting teams? Cover your eyes cause it could get ugly.

I'm all for somebody straightening his particular problem(s) out. Works for me. I'm just wondering when and if that'll ever happen. I want him to succeed cause I want the NYY to succeed. Should German - your man with the lights out stuff - get his act together in the minors - I see no reason why he couldnt match Gray's current performance level. I've lost track of Loaisiga. Last I heard he was having his shoulder looked at. Perhaps he was DL'd - but when he was in there he showed signs he's got both good stuff and the fortitude and confidence to deliver it.

Delivery and guts count when you're the only guy holding the ball. I'm not sure Gray - like Mr. Burnett (and many others before him) - has the latter intangibles. Doing it for OAK is a far cry from getting it done in Yankee Stadium (where he's pitched 41 innings - given up 52 hits / 35 earned runs and achieved an ERA of 7.63). Those stats - I submit - are more than replaceable as they're not helping us in the pennant race.

Who could do the replacing? I dont know and actually dont care so long as they can deliver. Perhaps it can be Cessa. Great. Whomever. Just somebody - anybody - who has the stuff and the b**** to get it done. If that somehow turns out to be Mr. Gray - fine. Hope springs eternal with me.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

Down 3-1 to the Rays - top of the 7th.

Previous series (which also was played at The Trop) they swept us in a three game series.

IMO we cant be dropping 5 out of 6 games to the Rays and consider ourselves a serious WS contender.

Cessa was pitching nice till he got tagged for the 2 run HR.

31 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Had to happen. Hopefully Happ is just having a rough month or so.

Yup....and the odd journey that is Brandon Drury's 2018 season takes another turn.
Although I think him a good ballplayer - this exchange should be considered nothing but an "add" for the NYY in so much as Drury didnt contribute to the teams current success.

Edited by Leader

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yup....and the odd journey that is Brandon Drury's 2018 season takes another turn.
Although I think him a good ballplayer - this exchange should be considered nothing but an "add" for the NYY in so much as Drury didnt contribute to the teams current success.

Quality player, just blocked by Andujar.