Official Yankees Thread

mission27

"A 6-foot-1, solidly built right-hander, Adams mowed down the competition last year, with a good feel for a big mid-to-upper-90s fastball and power slider, along with a changeup that still needs work. He was untouchable at Double-A Trenton and nasty at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, positioning himself atop the list of potential call-ups this year. But this season went wrong before it began.

Adams needed offseason surgery to remove bone chips from his pitching elbow and hasn’t looked like the same pitcher. A fastball that lived around “93-97,” Adams said, has been “90-94, maybe a touch of [95].” Diminished velocity has turned a hard-thrower into a pinpointer, and a season after he averaged 3.47 walks per nine innings, the number’s up to 4.52. The ERA that was 2.45 has ballooned by double, sitting at 4.93"

https://nypost.com/2018/07/30/fallen-yankees-prospect-knows-all-he-needs-is-a-chance/

2 hours ago, Leader said:

"A 6-foot-1, solidly built right-hander, Adams mowed down the competition last year, with a good feel for a big mid-to-upper-90s fastball and power slider, along with a changeup that still needs work. He was untouchable at Double-A Trenton and nasty at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, positioning himself atop the list of potential call-ups this year. But this season went wrong before it began.

Adams needed offseason surgery to remove bone chips from his pitching elbow and hasn’t looked like the same pitcher. A fastball that lived around “93-97,” Adams said, has been “90-94, maybe a touch of [95].” Diminished velocity has turned a hard-thrower into a pinpointer, and a season after he averaged 3.47 walks per nine innings, the number’s up to 4.52. The ERA that was 2.45 has ballooned by double, sitting at 4.93"

https://nypost.com/2018/07/30/fallen-yankees-prospect-knows-all-he-needs-is-a-chance/

Walks too many. Prob a pen guy at best. There’s a reason scouts have been pretty down on him.

Not too happy Warren is gone, especially to Sea. BP is loaded but why a contender?

Austin likely gone too, kid deserves a shot, I’m happy for him.

2 hours ago, pollino14 said:

Walks too many. Prob a pen guy at best. There’s a reason scouts have been pretty down on him.

Not too happy Warren is gone, especially to Sea. BP is loaded but why a contender?

Austin likely gone too, kid deserves a shot, I’m happy for him.

I've missed this. Mustve happened today? I'll have to get caught up. I guess they're thinking Warren and Holder fit similar long relief roles? Gotta read up on it - but thanks for the heads up.

Hmmmmmmm.....cant say I know anything about this guy from MN - who's got an entirely forgettable record so far.....and yeah, Tyler Austin showed some promise. Had some runs of good play. Oh well........gonna have to load up on some more young talent!

I'll tell ya - I do like the work Cashman's doing. Merits of specific trades can be discussed....but the overall of personnel handling is a positive. He's far more aggressive cutting deals for young talent - and when we have a handful of top roster guys that eventually are gonna get some good change - we need to keep priming the pump with young talent. 

https://nypost.com/2018/07/30/now-busy-yankees-trade-for-lance-lynn/

Edited by Leader

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

I've missed this. Mustve happened today? I'll have to get caught up. I guess they're thinking Warren and Holder fit similar long relief roles? Gotta read up on it - but thanks for the heads up.

Hmmmmmmm.....cant say I know anything about this guy from MN - who's got an entirely forgettable record so far.....and yeah, Tyler Austin showed some promise. Had some runs of good play. Oh well........gonna have to load up on some more young talent!

I'll tell ya - I do like the work Cashman's doing. Merits of specific trades can be discussed....but the overall of personnel handling is a positive. He's far more aggressive cutting deals for young talent - and when we have a handful of top roster guys that eventually are gonna get some good change - we need to keep priming the pump with young talent. 

https://nypost.com/2018/07/30/now-busy-yankees-trade-for-lance-lynn/

I’m down with Lance Lynn. Had 3 really good years before this one, maybe our guys see something mechanical with him. Worth a flyer

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

I’m down with Lance Lynn. Had 3 really good years before this one, maybe our guys see something mechanical with him. Worth a flyer

I'll have to check his career stats cause I've never even heard of him. We're putting together some interesting pitching talent.
Hmmmmm.....contract details. He's a rental. https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/minnesota-twins/lance-lynn-8730/

From the Daily News:

"The Yankees managed to make these moves while still keeping an eye on building for the long term. In moves with the Mariners, Cardinals and White Sox (dealing lefty Caleb Frare), the Yankees had accumulated $3.75 million in international bonus pool money.

Keeping control of their international slot money, the Yankees reportedly signed Cuban right-hander Osiel Rodriguez, according to El Nuevo Herald. The No. 5 international prospect, according to Baseball America, received $600,000 in a signing bonus and the Yankees are reportedly very active with remaining international talent"

Interesting background noise - or information to stash in the back of your mind as we look forward.....

How does the Yankees schedule set up?

Favorably. The Yankees kick off a brief two-game series with the Orioles Tuesday at the Stadium, and while the Yanks are an inexplicable 5-5 against the O’s to date (as opposed to the Sox, who are 10-2 against them), the O’s have been profoundly weakened by deadline deals.

Of the Yankees’ final 58 games, 35 come against eight teams (O’s, White Sox, Rangers, Mets, Tigers, Twins, Jays, Marlins) who entered Monday with an average record of 43-62. They have 16 games against three teams (Red Sox, Mariners, A’s) who had combined average records of 67-39 as play began Monday. And they have seven left against the Rays, who are exactly at sea level (53-53).

Logic insists that should bode well for the Yankees, although so far this season, they haven’t exactly bombarded lousy or average teams (they’re 14-14 against the O’s Rays, Mets, Tigers, Marlins and Rangers, for instance), while they’ve played consistently well against good teams (they’re 17-9 in the games they’ve played against first-place teams).

<Its that record against the bottom feeders thats screwing our season>

How does the final third of the season shape up?

We are officially deep enough into the season that we can come up with math problems like this one: If the Sox play .500 baseball the rest of the way in a season in which their winning percentage entering Tuesday is .694, it’ll take 103 Yankees wins to overtake them. That would be daunting if the Yankees themselves weren’t playing at a 103½-win pace, with all those winnable games ahead.

It’s too early to start printing such numbers in the Globe and the Herald, but the truth is the Sox’s magic number is now 51. The lead is six. There is so much baseball still to be played. And this is when the fun officially begins. Ring the bell. The final lap approaches

<BALT is up next for a two game set we need to sweep. Then its on to BOS to set the character of the 2nd half. We're six (6) back - four (4) in the loss column. If we start the series the same and BOS wins the series - we're getting stuck in mud we probably wont dig out of. Not at the pace BOS is playing at. Flip that and the NYY win it....the game is on. 

Goals:
1. STOMP on BALT.
2. Win batter/inning/game at a time against BOS...and scare the $hit out of them.

Object in the mirror is closer than it appears :)

16 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Gleyber Torres again with a 2 out base hit! One of the few who excels in that situation

He's got bat control - ability to hit to all fields - and if he catches one, the ability to put it out to all fields.

Eventually he'll be our #3 hitter IMO. I get that he's not a left handed bat - but he's a better hitter than Didi - and thats what counts: production.

Just now, Leader said:

He's got bat control - ability to hit to all fields - and if he catches one, the ability to put it out to all fields.

Eventually he'll be our #3 hitter IMO. I get that he's not a left handed bat - but he's a better hitter than Didi - and thats what counts: production.

Prob within a year or two. Especially if the power is real.

Unless pitchers find a hole in his swing - the power wont go away - he'll only get stronger.

Teams can put a shift on Didi and.....not shut him down....but cut into his production. They have to play Torres straight up. Tells you something.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Unless pitchers find a hole in his swing - the power wont go away - he'll only get stronger.

Teams can put a shift on Didi and.....not shut him down....but cut into his production. They have to play Torres straight up. Tells you something.

I’ll reserve judgement until after the season, see if he keeps it up in the summer. He wasn’t projected to be a power hitter. More like a 20 HR guy

Edited by pollino14

"Brian Cashman was blunt, honest when asked if he liked where the Yankees were at this stage of the AL East race: "Do I like our position where we're at? No, I don't like our position. I want to be where they're sitting right now. I'm watching them. They've made, obviously, a lot of improvements, as well. They're in front us. They're the team we're chasing. They're the team we want to pass ... I tip my cap to them. It's a lot of respect that way. But we're doing everything we can to reinforce what we've got to take our shot."

Coley Harvey, ESPN Staff Writer