Round 7 Pick 249; Rasheed Walker, OT Penn State

Packerraymond

10 hours ago, persiandud said:

i see us adding 2 tackles and 2 interior OL out of the 11 picks 

I was just talking about this with family.  It's a deep draft for OL and we just lost 3 guys I was comfortable with playing. Newman, who I wouldn't be excited about, is the only backup I wouldn't be VERY worried about having to play any significant amount. I think we are much thinner on the OL than probably most fans. Adding four guys to that room almost feels like a necessity to me. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I was just talking about this with family.  It's a deep draft for OL and we just lost 3 guys I was comfortable with playing. Newman, who I wouldn't be excited about, is the only backup I wouldn't be VERY worried about having to play any significant amount. I think we are much thinner on the OL than probably most fans. Adding four guys to that room almost feels like a necessity to me. 

I would be very surprised if one of Tenatu or Jones isn't going to be one of our backups moving forward.

Maybe even both.  I'm hoping we don't need to draft 3-4 OL.  But for sure, 2.

But your point stands....we need more bodies in that room.  I just happen to feel like we've kept Tenatu and Jones around long enough to feel pretty good about them as depth pieces.

8 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I would be very surprised if one of Tenatu or Jones isn't going to be one of our backups moving forward.

Maybe even both.  I'm hoping we don't need to draft 3-4 OL.  But for sure, 2.

But your point stands....we need more bodies in that room.  I just happen to feel like we've kept Tenatu and Jones around long enough to feel pretty good about them as depth pieces.

I'll negotiate a settlement. I've been advocating for 3 for a while and so it is settled. LOL

10 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think the unknown regarding "how many OL they want to draft" is going to be how they feel about signing Meyers to a 2nd contract.  If they're hesitant to pay the going rate for him, all bets are off for how many OL they take.

Yeah, given what Runyan got in the open market, I'd think Meyers would get a little more than that. I'd be OK with having his replacement in house after draft day. 

12 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I'll negotiate a settlement. I've been advocating for 3 for a while and so it is settled. LOL

How many OL do we usually keep?  The number 9 comes into my head.  Could be 10, though.

So....Walker, Jenkins, Myers, Rhyan, Tom.  Assumed starting 5.  Newman.  Then one of Tenatu or Jones.  Gets me to 7.  Two draft picks get me to 9.  And that is with omitting Tenatu or Jones.

I'm not going to complain if we draft 3.  But we really do need to bring in some UDFA's on the o-line as well.

The more I look at the OL class, the more I like, even in the mid rounds.  

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Yeah, given what Runyan got in the open market, I'd think Meyers would get a little more than that. I'd be OK with having his replacement in house after draft day. 

If we do not get JPJ or even SVP....I just get a feeling like Bartolini is going to be a very good center in the league.  That 9.78 RAS at 6'4'' and 305 has got to look really intriguing to Gute and the boys.  He'd be kind of ideal to backup the IOL for year while getting stronger and working on pass protection.

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

How many OL do we usually keep?  The number 9 comes into my head.  Could be 10, though.

So....Walker, Jenkins, Myers, Rhyan, Tom.  Assumed starting 5.  Newman.  Then one of Tenatu or Jones.  Gets me to 7.  Two draft picks get me to 9.  And that is with omitting Tenatu or Jones.

I'm not going to complain if we draft 3.  But we really do need to bring in some UDFA's on the o-line as well.

The more I look at the OL class, the more I like, even in the mid rounds.  

9-10 I do think last year we might have started with 8. 

I would like to be able to move on from Newman. I also don't really want to count on any of tackles who have been around for a couple of years that you mention. Not to say they can't develop but they've been inactive for two years. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

9-10 I do think last year we might have started with 8. 

I would like to be able to move on from Newman. I also don't really want to count on any of tackles who have been around for a couple of years that you mention. Not to say they can't develop but they've been inactive for two years. 

Newman.  I hope we move on as well, but....he's fine as a backup if he has to stay on the roster.  Teams really need a guy like him that has started games and can come in and function in a pinch or for a game or two due to injury.

GB has been so good at developing OL, that it is hard for me to not think that one of Tenatu or Jones will be ready to play a backup role on the OL.

We ran that drill on Nijman.  Walker was only a 7th rounder.  And that is just recent history.  Lucas Patrick and Lane Taylor come to mind as well.

But, the point still stands.  We need to draft at least 2 OL in this draft...maybe even 3 and I hope we bring in more via UDFA.  No doubt.

36 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Newman.  I hope we move on as well, but....he's fine as a backup if he has to stay on the roster.  Teams really need a guy like him that has started games and can come in and function in a pinch or for a game or two due to injury.

GB has been so good at developing OL, that it is hard for me to not think that one of Tenatu or Jones will be ready to play a backup role on the OL.

We ran that drill on Nijman.  Walker was only a 7th rounder.  And that is just recent history.  Lucas Patrick and Lane Taylor come to mind as well.

But, the point still stands.  We need to draft at least 2 OL in this draft...maybe even 3 and I hope we bring in more via UDFA.  No doubt.

I'm doing everything I can to save the 2 million if we move on from Newman. No way I'd give him 3 million this year that is not guaranteed. I get your point on him though. 

I still want three in the draft so it close to guarantees we can move on from Newman and get somebody 2 million cheaper. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm doing everything I can to save the 2 million if we move on from Newman. No way I'd give him 3 million this year that is not guaranteed. I get your point on him though. 

I still want three in the draft so it close to guarantees we can move on from Newman and get somebody 2 million cheaper. 

I see just a tick more value in Newman than you do, but I'm still agreeing with you.  I'd love to move on from him with a rookie, or other veteran FA at a lower cost.  Also?  Not the end of the world if we don't.  $2M isn't chump change, but it also doesn't move the needle and a vet is needed as a backup.

20 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I see just a tick more value in Newman than you do, but I'm still agreeing with you.  I'd love to move on from him with a rookie, or other veteran FA at a lower cost.  Also?  Not the end of the world if we don't.  $2M isn't chump change, but it also doesn't move the needle and a vet is needed as a backup.

If you watch the pennies the dollars will take care of themself cap wise. Assume we keep one of the tackles as a backup. I'll roll with the rookies as backups. There will always be vets on the street in case of an emergency where we have to break the glass. 

I'm not convinced Newman would be as good as a rookie we grab in round 4, hypothetically. We could also add a vet to compete with my boy Rhyan prior to TC.