The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Robert Downey Jr. cast as Doctor Doom

Acgott

8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

were you also on the "they only fired him because that was the same week as the shareholder meetings to approve the deal to acquire fox" bus?

As I was/am not aware of any shareholder meetings taking place, I can not say I am. I can say ignoring a typo I nailed this though. 

1 hour ago, August4th said:

yeah...find it interesting that people on twitter are happy he's back, but would they feel the same way if his tweets were racist or misogynistic?

Exactly.  If he had made hundreds of jokes about raping women and took pictures of himself going to rape-themed parties, you could bet the farm that Alyssa Milano and everyone would be losing their minds right now.  

But crickets...

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 5:11 AM, KManX89 said:

Hopefully they don't continue the disgusting trend of whitewashing Asian characters and actually cast an Asian guy for Shang-Chi, though Kevin Fiege said he's aiming for more diversity so I don't think it'll be a problem. Plus the last thing they want is another GitS controversy (which Paramount themselves admitted hurt GitS at the box office) after the whole Captain Marvel RT debacle.

Marvel, and any major studio now wouldn't pull a stunt like that. Especially off an Asian character from source material. I can't even think of a recent example. Ghost in the Shell backlash never made sense. Major Kusanagi's cyberborg body isn't specifically Asian in any of the franchise iterations. She could have easily been white.

Edited by PapaShogun

4 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Marvel, and any major studio now wouldn't pull a stunt like that. Especially off an Asian character from source material. I can't even think of a recent example. Ghost in the Shell backlash never made sense. Major Kusanagi's cyberborg body isn't specifically Asian in any of the franchise iterations. She could have easily been white.

WB was discussing the possibilities of Michael B Jordan becoming Superman. I wouldn't entirely rule it out.

3 hours ago, KManX89 said:

So I guess this means Dave Bautista's back to play Drax, too, right? 

But my guess is firing Gunn was just a ploy to try to save face on Disney's part (they are, after all, seen as the "kid friendly" company and a guy poking fun at pedophilia isn't a good look for them), hoping the PR ishstorm would blow over when they'd eventually begin shooting GotG3. After all, the article says they haven't talked with anyone about replacing Gunn as the film's director.

Dave was never not going to fulfill his contract obligation to do part 3. He was just never going to work on a Disney related production again.

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Her body is Asian in the anime and seeing how her name is Asian, suffice it to say her original body was, too. I'm of the opinion that the film wasn't very good even looking past it, but it was a cut-and-dry case of whitewashing. I don't buy the argument that a white(washed) actress was needed to sell tickets, either (which Paramount themselves admitted it only hurt the film's performance, not the other way around), you're telling me they seriously couldn't cast Olivia Munn, Kristen Kreuk or Mary Elizabeth Winstead (she's part Asian) as The Major? Do they not have any recognition?

And yes, her cyborg body in the anime is clearly Asian: 

motoko-kusanagi.jpg

EDIT: and plenty of other films have done it in recent years. Do Dragonball: Evolution, The Lone Ranger, The Last Airbender and Aloha not ring any bells?

Edited by KManX89

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

That's not whitewashing though. So the majority won't cry about it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not how that works. People are up-in-arms about blackwashing characters, too, MORESO than people who complain about whitewashing. 

4 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Her body is Asian in the anime and seeing how her name is Asian, suffice it to say her original body was, too. I don't buy the argument that a white actress was needed to sell tickets, either (which Paramount themselves admitted it only hurt the film's performance, not the other way around), you're telling me they seriously couldn't cast Olivia Munn, Kristen Kreuk or Mary Elizabeth Winstead (she's part Asian) as The Major? Do they not have any recognition? I'm of the opinion that the film wasn't very good even looking past it, but it was a cut-and-dry case of whitewashing.

And yes, her cyborg body in the anime is clearly Asian: 

motoko-kusanagi.jpg

EDIT: and plenty of other films have done it in recent years. Do Dragonball: Evolution, The Lone Ranger, The Last Airbender and Aloha not ring any bells?

There is no point in any of the franchise iterations that her shell ethnicity is described specifically. Not the comics, not the 1995 film, and not the subsequent series. It's completely ambiguous. You've mistaken an ethic art style for a definitive interpretation of an ethnic character in a story.

That's like saying these people look Japanese:

hqdefault.jpg

I'm not talking about Paramount's ability or inability to cast anyone. That's a narrative you're giving me, please don't do that. :) I would have been fine personally if they selected a white actress or an Asian actress. 

The Last Airbender and Dragon Ball Evolution came out about a decade ago. That isn't recent. A lot has changed since then. Just a side note: Goku in Dragon Ball isn't even a human anyway. So he can't be Japanese. "Japan" doesn't even exist in the Dragon Ball Universe. 

Edited by PapaShogun

13 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not how that works. People are up-in-arms about blackwashing characters, too, MORESO than people who complain about whitewashing. 

No they aren't. Complaining about white opportunity in Hollywood would never be taken seriously. #OscarsSoBlack won't be a thing.

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1