Early 2022-Roster predictions & depth chart

Btw, Thursday, May 12, at 8 p.m. ET is the release date for the 2022 NFL schedule.

So I would imagine we might hear about some leaks soon.

Primetime games?

Home opener?

Season opener?

I think we see Philly, Indy & Minny early in the schedule. Carson Wentz & Kirk Cousins going home.

Should be interesting.

54 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Btw, Thursday, May 12, at 8 p.m. ET is the release date for the 2022 NFL schedule.

So I would imagine we might hear about some leaks soon.

Primetime games?

Home opener?

Season opener?

I think we see Philly, Indy & Minny early in the schedule. Carson Wentz & Kirk Cousins going home.

Should be interesting.

Yeah I def think they could give us Indy or Minnesota primetime. Would be an easy game to hype, and early in the season both teams should still be in positions to seem like they're still talented and good. I would guess Indy for two reasons: 1) it's more recent in its juicy tidbits and 2) it's at Lucas Oil which looks better for TV coverage.

Not counting the COVID game, the Eagles make sense as a primetime game since they're the one in 2021 we didn't play then. Wentz back against them makes sense too. Dallas is ALWAYS a good option. 

I don't love any other options - Packers would have better opponents to do. SF makes sense at the main late 4 pm game especially if it's a Dallas bye week. JAX, Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Detroit, are all kinda bleh for the NFL (that's as much or more us than them). 

• Like 1

Yep, I expect Eagles, Minny, Indy & Dallas to all be possibly primetime games.

I could see Dallas being the Thanksgiving game. (Thursday)

I could see Minny &/or Indy as a Monday nighter.

And Philly being a Sunday Nighter.

I do believe we'll have at least 4 primetime games for many reasons.

The Wentz connections?

New team name, rebrand, etc?

High profile players on team such as Chase Young, Scary Terry & Curtis Samuels...

I realize we were 7-10 last year & they usually promote the good teams ..

But QB's bring star power to games & audiences.

I guarantee we would have more primetime games with Wentz, than Taylor Heinike.

I actually think 3 years of Isaiah Simmons for 1 year of Daron Payne would be advantage Commanders.

We could plug Simmons into that Collins role and simplify things for him, basically just weaponize him near the LOS like the Browns did with JOK for example. Use all that twitch and bounce to affect the run game and rush the passer and try to neutralize some backs and TEs in the pass game at times. LB is a tough position to play at a high level early on in the NFL, I think there’s still growth to be had.

We’d also save a good bit of money for this year, about $6M, which we could immediately turn around and put towards replacing Payne. There are a lot of solid veteran DTs out there on the market for the taking. Could do something like sign Akiem Hicks and Sheldon Richardson, and your DT group would still be solid — with the bonus of a guy in Simmons who still retains the potential to be a star. I think we’re a better team that way.

I also think it’s become clear that we as the WAS fanbase have probably (badly) overestimated Payne’s trade value. If they have been looking to shop him for a while, as at least some sources have indicated, then there’s just no way there’s been a 2nd rounder on the table as we’ve hoped. They would have taken that if they recognized the relative insanity of keeping him for one more lame duck season. I think it’s much more likely that teams are trying to offer Day 3 picks for one year of Payne. Which stings, but that’s how it goes with non-superstars who play non-premium positions on short contracts — folks just aren’t lining up to give you their good pick assets.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I actually think 3 years of Isaiah Simmons for 1 year of Daron Payne would be advantage Commanders.

We could plug Simmons into that Collins role and simplify things for him, basically just weaponize him near the LOS like the Browns did with JOK for example. Use all that twitch and bounce to affect the run game and rush the passer and try to neutralize some backs and TEs in the pass game at times. LB is a tough position to play at a high level early on in the NFL, I think there’s still growth to be had.

We’d also save a good bit of money for this year, about $6M, which we could immediately turn around and put towards replacing Payne. There are a lot of solid veteran DTs out there on the market for the taking. Could do something like sign Akiem Hicks and Sheldon Richardson, and your DT group would still be solid — with the bonus of a guy in Simmons who still retains the potential to be a star. I think we’re a better team that way.

I also think it’s become clear that we as the WAS fanbase have probably (badly) overestimated Payne’s trade value. If they have been looking to shop him for a while, as at least some sources have indicated, then there’s just no way there’s been a 2nd rounder on the table as we’ve hoped. They would have taken that if they recognized the relative insanity of keeping him for one more lame duck season. I think it’s much more likely that teams are trying to offer Day 3 picks for one year of Payne. Which stings, but that’s how it goes with non-superstars who play non-premium positions on short contracts — folks just aren’t lining up to give you their good pick assets.

Would love to pull that move off. I've been advocating trading for Simmons for a while now.

He's still very young & his market is as low, as it probably ever will be, presuming he blows up. Which, the risk is he doesn't .

But the risk is worth it on the fact that....were gonna lose Payne anyways...

I would rather shoot for a Simmons who has a very high ceiling of potential to even all-pro potential vs signing some old has been Mayo clone out there to fill the gap for 1 or 2 yrs.

Let me put it this way...the only move I would like BETTER than trading Payne for Simmons?

Is talking Luke Kueckly out of retirement, to be our LBer. I think he's only 29...crazy.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:35 PM, e16bball said:

We should & I think will use Jamin Davis in that role you’re describing we could use Isaiah Simmons in if we traded Payne for him. I think you’ll see that this year. Jamin & Isaiah Simmons compare as players somewhat even though I’d definitely say Simmons is the better athlete.

Jamin is going to play in space as a linebacker this year, being freed up to make plays near the line of scrimmage as a WLB like the Browns did with JOK last year & we did with Landon Collins last year.

Jamin also has quick twitch ability to affect the run game on the perimeter, as a pass rusher/blitzer and in coverage on running backs and TEs. You say Simmons has growth to be had, I’d argue that so does Jamin Davis and they drafted Jamin just last year.

Jamin has all that athletic ability and potential too, he just needs to get more comfortable in the defense this offseason/season so he’s not thinking as much out there as he did last year.

There’s no doubt in my mind that Jamin & Holcomb are going to be our 2 linebackers who play almost 100% of the snaps all year this year.

We’ll see what happens, and if Jamin doesn’t make the jump they want to see out of him this year then, next draft/off-season I can envision them adding another linebacker high or early in free agency.

If what you’re saying is true and we weren’t able to trade Payne for what we wanted back in return it wouldn’t shock me if he’s franchised next off-season & maybe twice like we did with Kirk & Scherff so we get the most out of Payne in his mid 20s in his prime & then we let him walk in 2025 for a 3rd round comp in 2026.

Edited by turtle28

On 5/9/2022 at 3:38 PM, aceinthehouse said:

Would love to pull that move off. I've been advocating trading for Simmons for a while now.

He's still very young & his market is as low, as it probably ever will be, presuming he blows up. Which, the risk is he doesn't .

But the risk is worth it on the fact that....were gonna lose Payne anyways...

I would rather shoot for a Simmons who has a very high ceiling of potential to even all-pro potential vs signing some old has been Mayo clone out there to fill the gap for 1 or 2 yrs.

Let me put it this way...the only move I would like BETTER than trading Payne for Simmons?

Is talking Luke Kueckly out of retirement, to be our LBer. I think he's only 29...crazy.

It doesn’t make sense to me, we have Jamin Davis. He and Simmons are similar players or at least play the same position. They’re not going to trade for Simmons to replace Jamin in his 2nd season.