2023 Draft Talk

swede700

15 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I would hate this pick for too many reasons. First, I would hate to take another 1st rounder who will miss his rookie season due to injury. Second, the QB class next year is one of the best in recent years. Better than the Trevor Lawrence class. Also, Hendon Hooker is already 25 years old. He’s older than Trey Lance. So taking a guy at 23, with all of those things in consideration, makes no sense. I’d rather trade for Trey Lance and take a chance on him than take a 25 year old QB who will miss the season because of an ACL tear. If I were Kwesi, I’d focus on building a great defense through this draft. The offense is pretty set, only missing a WR, so there aren’t too many holes to fill there. Wait until next year to draft a 1st round QB. I’d take Spencer Rattler or JJ McCarthy over Hendon Hooker. 

I wasn’t a fan of that pick either when I read it. 

14 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

I would hate this pick for too many reasons. First, I would hate to take another 1st rounder who will miss his rookie season due to injury. Second, the QB class next year is one of the best in recent years. Better than the Trevor Lawrence class. Also, Hendon Hooker is already 25 years old. He’s older than Trey Lance. So taking a guy at 23, with all of those things in consideration, makes no sense. I’d rather trade for Trey Lance and take a chance on him than take a 25 year old QB who will miss the season because of an ACL tear. If I were Kwesi, I’d focus on building a great defense through this draft. The offense is pretty set, only missing a WR, so there aren’t too many holes to fill there. Wait until next year to draft a 1st round QB. I’d take Spencer Rattler or JJ McCarthy over Hendon Hooker. 

I was on board until I read the offense is only missing a WR.  While I hope youre right Ingram needs to take a step & a decent sized one at that & Im not sure if they extend Cleveland so I think the Offense still needs a guard

On 3/30/2023 at 7:49 AM, gopherwrestler said:

I guess I like him more than i liked saquon coming out…. Still wouldn’t draft him in the 1st

I don’t think he’s even in the same realm as Saquon. Saquon was 20lbs heavier and more athletic.

Robinson is slow to process and makes too many missteps. Sure, that will work in college but in the NFL it won’t happen. He’ll be a considered a bust if he’s drafted in the 1st round. 

4 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

🤢.

Hooker is maxed out and inaccurate.

Just a terrible pick. 

It's the very rare occasion where I agree with you, like the sighting of a jackalope.  🤣

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KeithVikings28 said:

He’s a day 3 picks let’s be real.

Just like Kellen Mond should’ve been lol. 

I won't go as far as a Day 3 pick, but he definitely should be late 2nd rd at the very earliest.  I personally wouldn't consider him until the 3rd round. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

I don’t think he’s even in the same realm as Saquon. Saquon was 20lbs heavier and more athletic.

Robinson is slow to process and makes too many missteps. Sure, that will work in college but in the NFL it won’t happen. He’ll be a considered a bust if he’s drafted in the 1st round. 

What the **** were you watching?  Slow to process, too many missteps.  Come on man, actually watch the player

But where could some of these players fit best in the NFL? I picked out ideal landing spots for 15 of the best offensive skill prospects, factoring in skill sets, scheme, team needs and value in this draft.

Jonathan Mingo to the Minnesota Vikings

Height: 6-foot-2 | Weight: 220
College: Ole Miss

Where the Vikings could get him: Round 3 (No. 87 overall)

Why he fits: After the departure of veteran Adam Thielen, the Vikings could add someone like Mingo to the wide receiver room on Day 2 of the draft. And I really like the fit for him in Kevin O'Connell's offense, given Mingo's powerful frame, route detail and production after the catch.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36079362/2023-nfl-draft-best-team-fits-top-wide-receivers-running-backs-tight-ends-bijan-robinson-jaxon-smith-njigba

Should the Vikings draft Hendon Hooker in the 3rd this year?   I'd say yes, but only if we get more higher round draft picks to build a couple needy areas.  I believe Hooker's one of those guys who took a bit to figure things out, and he had to have the right coaches.  BUT, CB/LB/NT-DT in ANY order should be the first 3 selections.

Now, if the Vikes do pick up something via trade, a 2nd or couple 3rds, and they took Hooker, fine.    I'd be even more stoked if they took Avila at C/G.

26 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

why is this UCLA QB projected to only go in the 4th? I mean, i understand he's not a first round guy, but why not late 2nd or 3rd round?

Chip Kelly's offense has an Air Raid slant to it.  "Supposedly" it makes the QB play easier and QB stats get inflated.   In context of playing in the Pac-12 and winning a lot of games, Dorian-Thompson did well.   He's physically about the same size as Cousins, but can run some.  

Where the NFL may view his pro ability lies in playing under center and making tougher throws  . . . Something QBs at Houston, Texas Tech, and Mike Leach guys always got/get a black mark when the draft comes around.  

I'll say this, Thompson was maybe the 4th best QB in the Pac 12 last year, and he was better than McKee.   Can't wait for Williams, Nix, Ward, and Penix to show their stuff this fall.